WR Mike Williams Visited Bills today

just heard a draft guy on WGR and he said something that made a lot of sense about OJ Howard. He said he's not only a blue chip prospect at TE in the passing game and a mismatch in coverage but he instantly makes your RT better because of his blocking ability. any team that needs to upgrade at OT this year either overpaid in FA or had slim pickings in the draft.... considering the Bills OT situation this would upgrade at two positions and worth a top 10 pick.

Yes and thats not the first time its been said and it makes a lot of sense. Howard would also be a worty pick at 10 IMO.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just heard a draft guy on WGR and he said something that made a lot of sense about OJ Howard. He said he's not only a blue chip prospect at TE in the passing game and a mismatch in coverage but he instantly makes your RT better because of his blocking ability. any team that needs to upgrade at OT this year either overpaid in FA or had slim pickings in the draft.... considering the Bills OT situation this would upgrade at two positions and worth a top 10 pick.

...hate to stay at 10.......the chart gurus can do the math, but finding (HOPEFULLY) a partner in the 20's to grab an extra 1st in 2018 along with a 2nd or 3rd in 2017 would be a good scenario IMO.....grab a QB later, forget a WR/TE in the 1st because we have yet to show that existing corp (good, bad or indifferent) has even been used yet....I'd bet film rats would find many examples in 2016 of receiving corps breaking off routes or coasting because they doubted ever seeing the ball.....NO FACT, just a hunch..................

...hate to stay at 10.......the chart gurus can do the math, but finding (HOPEFULLY) a partner in the 20's to grab an extra 1st in 2018 along with a 2nd or 3rd in 2017 would be a good scenario IMO.....grab a QB later,

*****forget a WR/TE in the 1st because we have yet to show that existing corp (good, bad or indifferent) has even been used yet

....I'd bet film rats would find many examples in 2016 of receiving corps breaking off routes or coasting because they doubted ever seeing the ball.....NO FACT, just a hunch..................

Ummm...Andre Holmes is our current #2 WR right now. Let that sink in for a moment.

Casserly says Allen is the real deal and will be better than Julius Peppers. If 2 QBs go top ten who knows he could be there.

Obviously sprinting to the podium if Allen is there.

Not taking a te when we have clay lol

May I ask why?

Not taking a te when we have clay lol

they just said on Thursday they want to play multiple TE sets

Plus you are lacking at WR but Howard can line up there too essentially. Think about how Carolina used Olsen in the passing game when their top WRs were Grandpa Ted Ginn, Jericho Cotchery and Philly Brown.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The reason not to take one at 10 is that it'll be difficult to get max value when you have Watkins and Shady eating up touches. If it happens then it happens but I still think you can find a quality WR beyond the first round.

It's not just touches though-- that quality of WR creates space for shady and Watkins to do more... and an outside target seems to play to tyrods strengths.

and it's depth at a position we are bottom of the league at outside our #1 who isn't a sure thing to be healthy (as much as I'm on the Watkins bandwagon)

He doesn't have to get 90-100 catches this year to be worthwhile

Another point on Howard is that he's used to not getting a lot of targets and never complained at Bama. But when his number was called, I can't remember him not making the play.

My gut still hates giving a top ten pick AND a big contract to clay because they'll be good even if we don't use them in the passing game (and we didn't see TT use clay really)

That's a lot of investment into a second tier position that we might not even be able to maximize

Kiffin was a moron for not getting Howard more touches, IMO.

i think he just forgot about him sometimes with all their weapons but their freshman QB this year also wasn't a good passer. It was like once a game Kiffin would say "oh yeah we have OJ Howard!" and draw up a huge play and then he'd go back into witness protection. Urban did the same with Michael Thomas in 2015. Some of these NFL caliber pass catchers in college are really at the mercy of their QB's ability when it comes to production.

It's not just touches though-- that quality of WR creates space for shady and Watkins to do more... and an outside target seems to play to tyrods strengths.

and it's depth at a position we are bottom of the league at outside our #1 who isn't a sure thing to be healthy (as much as I'm on the Watkins bandwagon)

Drafting a WR at 10 to create space and be depth is silly. You want a top 10 pick to be a major contributor and I don't see that happening given how I think this offense will operate. Edited by Bangarang

Drafting a WR at 10 to crest space and be depth is silly. You want a top 10 pick to be a major contributor and I don't see that happening given how I think this offense will operate.

Can't go into the season with just Watkins and a bunch of nobodies.

...hate to stay at 10.......the chart gurus can do the math, but finding (HOPEFULLY) a partner in the 20's to grab an extra 1st in 2018 along with a 2nd or 3rd in 2017 would be a good scenario IMO.....grab a QB later, forget a WR/TE in the 1st because we have yet to show that existing corp (good, bad or indifferent) has even been used yet....I'd bet film rats would find many examples in 2016 of receiving corps breaking off routes or coasting because they doubted ever seeing the ball.....NO FACT, just a hunch..................

not bad.

i have been leaning Howard for awhile now. Very reluctant at first blush.

Give me a scenario as you have scripted, and i am cool with the draft

they just said on Thursday they want to play multiple TE sets

Plus you are lacking at WR but Howard can line up there too essentially. Think about how Carolina used Olsen in the passing game when their top WRs were Grandpa Ted Ginn, Jericho Cotchery and Philly Brown.

wait .. we have philly Brown already... logic would dictate....

it really is an 11 player chess match isn't it?

Drafting a WR at 10 to create space and be depth is silly. You want a top 10 pick to be a major contributor and I don't see that happening given how I think this offense will operate.

I'm not saying he'd get 25 catches in my scenario either though. I'm saying if he ends up a bit shy on targets he's still got value. It's not like we're going to run 85% of the time.

Edited by NoSaint

Can't go into the season with just Watkins and a bunch of nobodies.

Sure we can.

But some of them might shine depending on scheme how Tyrod plays. I suspect we draft one.

Howard? this kid is going to be really good. he is not the value at ten (just cuz) but I would love to see him in Bills colors.

Defenses would really have to play us accordingly by the second game, after Howard scored his first TD week one

I'm not saying he'd get 25 catches in my scenario either though. I'm saying if he ends up a bit shy on targets he's still got value. It's not like we're going to run 85% of the time.

The point about strengthening the right side of the line in both run and pass is what tipped me over.

I may not flip if he is taken at ten, That is how far i have come in my thinking.