McDermott Coaching Style - Good or Bad

One thing that hit me today - Don't know why I didn't realize this sooner:

Sean McDermott is a system guy.

Sounds like he has his mind made up that he has to run his defensive system. I know some other coaches who think that way. One of them just got fired from the Bills last season.

I guess McDermott is not the type of coach, nor probably has the experience to do so, who can take another team's defensive personnel and create the defense to best fit that personnel.

Bummer.

That is my first knock against the guy. But it is a significant one. Hope he gets the guys to fit his system. Not the type of coach I really wanted though. So far I like everything else about the guy that I have heard. But a guy stuck on his own system has me very concerned.

Your opinions?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like he has his mind made up that he has to run his defensive system. I know some other coaches who think that way. One of them just got fired from the Bills last season.

I guess McDermott is not the type of coach, nor probably has the experience to do so, who can take another team's defensive personnel and create the defense to best fit that personnel.

Bummer.

That is my first knock against the guy. But it is a significant one. Hope he gets the guys to fit his system. Not the type of coach I really wanted though. So far I like everything else about the guy that I have heard. But a guy stuck on his own system has me very concerned.

Your opinions?

All that from seeing one workout?

Bummer.

Your opinions?

I think most NFL coaches are that way. You rarely hear of a 3-4 guy switching to a 4-3, or vice-versa.

I don't think it matters all that much because our D-Line is better for a 4-3. We had little depth in the secondary so that didn't matter. Probably hurts most with linebackers. Ragland and P Brown look a bit out of place.

All that from seeing one workout?

The thing that triggered the thought was something he said in his presser today - Still need to find the cornerbacks to fit his defense. That is the thought that triggered it. Gives me pause about his mentality towards football in general. I hate coaches who think winning or losing is more based on their genius schemes rather than the players' ability to make plays. I think that line of thinking is dead wrong.

The thing that triggered the thought was something he said in his presser today - Still need to find the cornerbacks to fit his defense. That is the thought that triggered it. Gives me pause about his mentality towards football in general. I hate coaches who think winning or losing is more based on their genius schemes rather than the players' ability to make plays. I think that line of thinking is dead wrong.

The last Bills coach we had that changed his schemes to fit the players was Mike Pettine.

I think most NFL coaches are that way. You rarely hear of a 3-4 guy switching to a 4-3, or vice-versa.

I don't think it matters all that much because our D-Line is better for a 4-3. We had little depth in the secondary so that didn't matter. Probably hurts most with linebackers. Ragland and P Brown look a bit out of place.

Yes. I agree.

That is why I think I was hoping for a more experienced coach who has been around long enough to have learned and knows how to create his offfensive/defensive structure to fit his players' strengths.

I'm not trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. I will totally give him the benefit of the doubt for at least this season. I just don't want to the Bills to get stuck in a position where it takes the team 3 years to get the "right" personnel where they can execute his system properly and until then we suck.

Yes. I agree.

That is why I think I was hoping for a more experienced coach who has been around long enough to have learned and knows how to create his offfensive/defensive structure to fit his players' strengths.

I'm not trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. I will totally give him the benefit of the doubt for at least this season. I just don't want to the Bills to get stuck in a position where it takes the team 3 years to get the "right" personnel where they can execute his system properly and until then we suck.

What to watch for is Dennison. I really hope he doesn't switch our power man and zone run blocking up to do only zone run blocking. That would be a disaster.

He's never been the head coach of an NFL football team in a game.

And we're assessing him.

Gold.

It's what fans do.

Not like I am crucifying him. Just expressing a concern that dawned on me unexpectedly today out of the blue. Not that big of a deal.

System guy? Fact or supposition? Time will tell, I don't claim to know. At least he's NOT Rex.

As long as he wins

Agree. Not Rex and as long as he wins.

Bummer.

Your opinions?

Beli, Carol... system guys. They all are to some degree. Have to be. The question is how adaptive the system is to work around the talent changes.

It's what fans do.

Not like I am crucifying him. Just expressing a concern that dawned on me unexpectedly today out of the blue. Not that big of a deal.

Agree. Not Rex and as long as he wins.

It's what we do. We imagine something bad, then pick at it like a scab until it bleeds.

I get what you're saying, but let's not get TOO worried here, and understand how an NFL defense works.

You have to have A scheme, one way or another. You have to have certain gaps filled, and certain places on the field covered. If 9 men on defense are the best at rushing the passer, or dropping into a deep zone, than good for them, but you will always allow the defense to score, because the gaps are not plugged, or the secondary is not home.

Your "scheme" has to get the dirty work done before you start worrying about featuring a player and their unique skill sets.

Remember, guys like Bruschi and Vrabel were 4-3 DEs that Belicheck came in, with his "system", and put them into place to fit HIM, and was very successful.

So don't despair.

Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins