Pegula shows Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma the door.

exactly. hire him to be sabres consultant for the summer, NOT BE GM - and ask him to find a GM.

Kinda like what Charley Casserley does in NFL.

He works for the Hawks with his son. Why would he now work for the Sabres?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NeckBeard

I wanted an Offensive Mastermind/ QB Guru. Jim Bob Cooter or Kyle Shanahan. The Bills had met with Shanahan the year before but didn't like him personally. Yeah, genius isn't always friendly.

The O has been "fine" over the past couple of seasons -- to the extent that we all saw pretty decent stretches of play on the O side of the ball for a change. The D has been a hot mess. But then again, why hire a one-trick HC? Hire somebody who knows the system(s) he wants to run, somebody who knows how to lead, and somebody who knows how to delegate, and to demand results.

I am not the least bit upset about the HC hire, but I will add that I am not excited to the extent that I wet my pants every second I think about him. It seems like a safe decision for HC, and he probably won't flame out like a reach for a Shanahan or a JB Cooter hire. He may be mediocre, but that's a far cry from doing a heave-ho, then wondering why things didn't work out. Time will tell.

I wanted an Offensive Mastermind/ QB Guru. Jim Bob Cooter or Kyle Shanahan. The Bills had met with Shanahan the year before but didn't like him personally. Yeah, genius isn't always friendly.

Genius doesn't transfer across every business model either.

Surprised by the Murray move (kinda), but agree that is how it should be done. Fire/hire GMs and HCs together. Otherwise you get into a cycle where the HC is being hamstrung by the new GM and then the GM is being hamstrung by the new HC every other year.

Which is why I believe the Pegulas should give McD and Whaley the next 3 years (time remaining on Whaley's contract) together without making any changes. See if the boat will right itself over time (while also giving the Pegulas time to get more ingrained and networked with "Football people"). Then, if we still suck 3 years from now, clean house and rebuild from the foundation up.

But the Bills, specifically, need some stability more than anything else (outside of a generational franchise QB).

why would anyone?

Because the owners will provide you with financial and other resources to put together things the way you want to, but then hold you accountable such that then if you fail, it's on you.

If I were a coach I'd think that's a pretty fair deal.

Surprised by the Murray move (kinda), but agree that is how it should be done. Fire/hire GMs and HCs together. Otherwise you get into a cycle where the HC is being hamstrung by the new GM and then the GM is being hamstrung by the new HC every other year.

Which is why I believe the Pegulas should give McD and Whaley the next 3 years (time remaining on Whaley's contract) together without making any changes. See if the boat will right itself over time (while also giving the Pegulas time to get more ingrained and networked with "Football people"). Then, if we still suck 3 years from now, clean house and rebuild from the foundation up.

But the Bills, specifically, need some stability more than anything else (outside of a generational franchise QB).

Both franchises need that stability.

Guest NeckBeard

I agree with your take completely. Even though I don't like the dual reporting role of the HC and GM in Buffalo, I am completely in agreement with holding both positions to the same level of accountability. I also agree that drafting a stud QB is not the magic bullet as some here will tell you. I think the team needs a QB, but I think that more importantly it needs good and competent people to run the organization. Thanks for posting this.

Oh god, not Casserly. He hired Toilet Bowles and McCaggan in NY.

I'm talking about Bowman to be the CONSULTANT HIRE, NOT Casserly. Look at Bowman's track record - in Detroit, and in Chicago. His only failure? BUFFALO. lol

Both franchises need that stability.

Agreed, of course.

I agree with your take completely. Even though I don't like the dual reporting role of the HC and GM in Buffalo, I am completely in agreement with holding both positions to the same level of accountability. I also agree that drafting a stud QB is not the magic bullet as some here will tell you. I think the team needs a QB, but I think that more importantly it needs good and competent people to run the organization. Thanks for posting this.

I also hate the current power structure and the complete lack of accountability it causes.

The Pegulas already have Brandon running the business sides of the teams. They should put their GMs in charge of Football and Hockey operations, with the power to hire/fire their own coaches, and get out of their way.

I agree...they're obviously not getting it right, but I don't think anyone can argue they aren't proactively trying to get championships to Buffalo. They also aren't panicking at first sight, see Cleveland, Browns....they are trying to give the people they empower to do their jobs, spending money in FA and various departments. I am coming around to the idea that in both franchises they need someone between themselves and the executives of those franchises though - the dreaded "Czar" title / position that has frequently been suggested. I am now convinced they need this person on both teams....

They already have Czar for both franchises; a man that goes by the name of Rusty.

I remember when they bought the Bills/Sabres thinking , what if these were the idiot fans I sat near all those years and they just happened to become billionaires and own the team. Lot of stupid fans out there that always want to fire someone but have no idea how to run a successful franchise.

Yeah because the idiot fan could do so much worse then what the Bills ownership has thrown out for the past 17 years. I think the idiot fans know a hell of a lot more about how to run a successful organization than Bills ownership the past 2 decades.

Yeah because the idiot fan could do so much worse then what the Bills ownership has thrown out for the past 17 years. I think the idiot fans know a hell of a lot more about how to run a successful organization than Bills ownership the past 2 decades.

Let's be honest. Ralph's entire ownership reign was failure after failure with one small window of getting lucky in the middle. The Bills were a joke in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Did ok from late-80s through the 90s, then right back to being the same joke team that lost to the Dolphins for a decade straight (70s), and then the Pats for almost 2 decades straight.

One thing that o wonder about - what does this do to the expansion draft possibilities?

George McPhee was said to owe Tim Murray a favor (for that Klesla contract/trade deal). Murray said McPhee remembered this and Murray has told him the player(s) he didn't want to lose. Now that is probably out the window. I could see Linus Ullmark gone (hope not!) now. Hopefully the new GM can swing a deal though.

Also, I wonder what it does to our chances of landing a good defenseman from a team with too many to protect for expansion. I'm sure Murray was putting in ground work all season, maybe longer. Deals take quite a while to make in the NHL, and a new GM won't really have any time to set things up like that before the expansion draft in June.

And I wonder if the Sabres will still be able to sign that Antikpin from the KHL. He was said to have a deal in place with Buffalo. I hope it still goes through...