Kevon Seymour's potential in McDermott scheme

I believe the Bills will draft a CB next week, but unless Lattimore falls in their laps at 10 I think they may focus on a slot CB in the mid-rounds, and focus on elevating Kevon Seymour to starting outside corner role opposite Darby. Josh Norman was also a 6th round pick before he emerged as a top CB under McDermott. I thought Seymour took some lumps as most rookie corners do this past season, Rex's scheme hung them out to dry a lot and I think he did show some good technique as well. This graphic is interesting (h/t @BUFFAL0SOLDI3R)

C9zr4KuWsAMuO0c.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can see where there could be similarities. but i also do not know if i see the similarities.

not to mention, josh norman was not as good as they say. he was benched a lot for poor play in mcd's system. he had very poor games. and only when they had good dl production the one year was norman able to do more than his average performance.

i watched norman a lot during that year confused why people said he was so amazing. he was good. that's it. but he's not been the same since and was never the hype they said.

i can see where there could be similarities. but i also do not know if i see the similarities.

not to mention, josh norman was not as good as they say. he was benched a lot for poor play in mcd's system. he had very poor games. and only when they had good dl production the one year was norman able to do more than his average performance.

i watched norman a lot during that year confused why people said he was so amazing. he was good. that's it. but he's not been the same since and was never the hype they said.

These are the reasons Carolina let him walk...

CB is still a big need no matter what Seymour can bring.

Not sure how much it matters but Norman is also 20 pounds heavier.

Seymour may be bigger now after a full year of NFL s&C, I honestly don't know. Those were combine weights.

McD's focus is DL as Boyst said, which can appear to elevate the CBs (similar to Schwartz scheme)

Seymour may be bigger now after a full year of NFL s&C, I honestly don't know. Those were combine weights.

McD's focus is DL as Boyst said, which can appear to elevate the CBs (similar to Schwartz scheme)

But it was a year with the Bills' S&C coaches, so he's more injury prone now.

I didn't realize he was that fast.

4.39 is not really that fast. it's essentially 4.4

under 4.3 is fast

under 4.2 is very fast

4.4-4.5 is pretty good

4.6 is pedestrian in the nfl.

4.7 or above, get out of here. you're a dt or ol.

I don't watch much college football these days, but do see a lot of USC football. I think Seymour has a much higher ceiling than most 6th round picks, I was glad they drafted him. This defense could be great for what he does best, and I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity in front of him.

I don't watch much college football these days, but do see a lot of USC football. I think Seymour has a much higher ceiling than most 6th round picks, I was glad they drafted him. This defense could be great for what he does best, and I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity in front of him.

i thought he looked good last year, many will remember the TD he got burned by Amari Cooper, but I thought he recovered from that and played well for a rookie, I think Rex's scheme is very tough too for a rookie corner.

yep. Gilmore ran a 4.4 (at 4 more lbs)

Both good sized guys, so that's a good time. Nice combo of size and speed. Hopefully zone makes it easier for him. How much zone at USC, and how did that work for him? We still need help, obviously.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll do my BBMB duty.

Whaley sucks. He should be fired. We're just spinning the tires. Gilmore gone. Now gillislee is gone. We can't replace those players. According to scientific data I read on the interweb, Whaley was proven to be the worst GM in the history of football. Pegulas needs to sell the team so the new owner will fire him.

Both good sized guys, so that's a good time. Nice combo of size and speed. Hopefully zone makes it easier for him. How much zone at USC, and how did that work for him? We still need help, obviously.

i need a Pac 10 follower to chime in as I'm more useful on Big 10. I will try to look it up though.

Seymour mainly played in zone coverage in USC's defense, but also has experience playing off-man and press coverage. In zone, Seymour has a good rapport with his teammates, follows players through his area, and is smart about passing them off to the next player in the right spot. Seymour has quick footwork and good long speed down the sideline, which are traits that come in handy for him, because he often finds himself needing to recover from bad positioning.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2016/5/10/11589756/kevon-seymour-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-buffalo-bills-edition

Edited by YoloinOhio