Draft the Person first, not the player!

We always tend to look at numbers, size, speed vertical jump, etc...

But I'm a true believer in drafting the person first. Yes numbers are important but in the NFL they mean nothing if you're not the whole package.

Not saying this is my pick @ 10, because I'm leaning towards Haason Reddick with a trade down or even this guy as well. I feel Haason is a high Character player as well.

These are the type of guys I want.

Video:

https://youtu.be/JyKRe5jtjwA

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you're saying in theory, but it's not always so simple.

The greatest quarterback in Bills history was Jim Kelly. At the time he was drafted, he was an arrogant prick who thought he was too good for Buffalo.

Conversely, EJ Manuel was said to have all the off-field things you could want in a quarterback. Great leader, great studier, hard worker, "presence", commands a room, etc, etc..He led the Bills to exactly zero playoff appearances.

Setting aside the Bills, you have cases like Brett Favre (addicted to painkillers, partier, didn't take game seriously) or Chris Carter (drug addiction, bad attitude, self destructive behavior) who went on to be Hall of Famers and guys who were totally clean off the field (Christian Ponder, Aaron Maybin) who wound up being total busts.

Character is important. So is talent. So are measurables. It's not so simple.

I like what you're saying in theory, but it's not always so simple.

The greatest quarterback in Bills history was Jim Kelly. At the time he was drafted, he was an arrogant prick who thought he was too good for Buffalo.

Conversely, EJ Manuel was said to have all the off-field things you could want in a quarterback. Great leader, great studier, hard worker, "presence", commands a room, etc, etc..He led the Bills to exactly zero playoff appearances.

Setting aside the Bills, you have cases like Brett Favre (addicted to painkillers, partier, didn't take game seriously) or Chris Carter (drug addiction, bad attitude, self destructive behavior) who went on to be Hall of Famers and guys who were totally clean off the field (Christian Ponder, Aaron Maybin) who wound up being total busts.

Character is important. So is talent. So are measurables. It's not so simple.

Just saying so many folks love Rueben Foster... following the combine incident plus reading the type of company he carries plus his BS attitude, I don't want the guy. I think it is simple.

Same reason before ever playing a snap in the league I take A Derek Carr ( 2nd rd pick) over a Cam Newton (1st overall) all day long.

But that's me...

Just saying so many folks love Rueben Foster... following the combine incident plus reading the type of company he carries plus his BS attitude, I don't want the guy. I think it is simple.

Same reason before ever playing a snap in the league I take A Derek Carr ( 2nd rd pick) over a Cam Newton (1st overall) all day long.

But that's me...

I do agree that the Bills should avoid drafting players with obvious character red flags in this draft. I ESPECIALLY don't like the things I'm reading about the company Foster keeps. It seems like the quickest thing to bring down the career of a talented player is his surrounding himself with a bunch of idiots. If that is in fact the case with Foster, I'm not so sure I'd have any interest in drafting him at all.

Also, the later into the draft it is, the more risk I'm okay with the Bills taking in drafting someone. Karlos Williams in the 5th is a perfect example of the good AND bad side of drafting character risks. His rookie year, he made Whaley look like an absolute genius. Then, in his very first offseason as an NFL player, he wrecked his whole career. Luckily, all that was lost was a 5th round pick. If it's late in the draft, I'm okay with risks and long shots *cough*Chad Kelly in the 7th*cough*.

But I'm a true believer in drafting the person first. Yes numbers are important but in the NFL they mean nothing if you're not the whole package.

Not saying this is my pick @ 10, because I'm leaning towards Haason Reddick with a trade down or even this guy as well. I feel Haason is a high Character player as well.

Video:

You draft all choir boys you end up with a team like Marv Levy had when he was here as the GM...a team that doesn't win

Video:

Hi Marv!!!

You draft all choir boys you end up with a team like Marv Levy had when he was here as the GM...a team that doesn't win

That just sounds like an excuse for not doing your homework. Nobody is saying choir boys, just saying it's more than numbers etc. am I saying you gotta be perfect? No.

Taking a guy who hasn't played LB to play LB is risky @ #10 (and played a lower level of competition) Just watched two of his games(Navy, and USF) and i didn't see any that he brings other than athleticism. He is way too small to take on blocks and is a complete unknown in coverage skills. But from what I have read and heard he is a great guy. Just scary when guys rise from 2md or 3rd round to Top 10 after the season. Not against him.... just saw nothing 'Top 10' in those games.

I want a team full of high motor, lunch pail guys!

But seriously, there is something to be said for drafting guys with high football IQs. That is obvious for a QB, but at every position the ability to understand what is happening and react to it instinctively is important. I guy can have all the metrics of size, speed and strength, but if there isn't anything between the ears then that guy isn't going to reach his potential in the NFL. EJ had all the metrics, but the game never "slowed down" for him. I also believe The Hoodie is an expert at recognizing the mental ability of his players and he places a high value on their ability to learn and play within the system.

Yeah sure, like they've always done. Thanks for playing.

Trying to figure out what a 21-22 year old is going to grow to be like is difficult. Mix in a kid that's likely been treated like "the man" since being young, he's been coached into creating a perception of himself and then give him money - now you've got an even more difficult thing to try and figure out.

Not an easy thing to do and is the reason that they spend soooo much time looking into these guys. Do you think they don't spend massive amounts of time looking into the character of these potential draftees?

They tried that approach with Marv as GM. It didn't work.

I think you are missing the mark with character. I would place a much higher emphasis on intelligence. The Bills seem to have forgotten this league is all about decision making. There are precious few athletes that are just physically so much better than the competition that they can dominate. It usually comes down to execution during pressure moments and decision making.

The problem with that Bills team wasn't that it was an all-choir boys team, it's that it was an all choir boy team that wasn't talented.

There have been plenty of choir boy teams that were terrific.

Bill Walsh built high-character teams and did OK.

Video:

Because all these choir boys have gotten us how many playoff berths since 2000?

You want that? Go to church. I want a winner and I don't care. The Cowboys beat us twice in the Super Bowl with a team of near felon, drug addicts, and the most odious of people. John Elway was one of the biggest jerks in the NFL (still is). Brady cheats.

The choir boys that win are exceptions, not the rule. Even the 1986 Mets were not a team of choir boys. Keith Hernandez almost went to prison. The 1985 Bears, Madden's Raiders, Peyton was accused of sexual misconduct in college but a team nurse (unsubstantiated). Big Ben WAS accused of rape.

Enjoy choir boy mentality. If a coach cannot control his players, he needs to find a new job in a new line of work.

The problem with that Bills team wasn't that it was an all-choir boys team, it's that it was an all choir boy team that wasn't talented.

There have been plenty of choir boy teams that were terrific.

Bill Walsh built high-character teams and did OK.

His teams weren't always so perfect, but they were disciplined. He did things a certain way and demanded it be done that way too. If they didn't get on board, they were let go and replaced. I think the idea is not good vs bad character but rather finding those that will prioritize the team and remain disciplined to the culture McD is trying to build.