Bourbon Question

dib

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullitt is good, if you can get your hands on some Pappy Van Winkle you are a lucky guy. My dad drinks a lot of bourbon so when I go over I always have some. His normal drink is Knobb Creek

Edited by Bray Wyatt

Normally I drink Jim Beam. However, a Bourbon called Bulliet has piqued my interest. Anyone have tastebuds on this? Any other Bourbon suggestions?

It's not bad. What's your price range and I'll give you some options I like and some that I've heard are good. Also how do you like to drink it? Neat, ice, water?

I'm no expert, but after living in KY for a year, I'm trying a lot of bourbons.

Normally I drink Jim Beam. However, a Bourbon called Bulliet has piqued my interest. Anyone have tastebuds on this? Any other Bourbon suggestions?

Bulleit is very good, if you're a Jim Beam guy try the Beam double oak, pretty smooth.

A few others to try ...

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve

Willets Reserve

Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch

Cheers

You should like it more than JB that is for sure. Of that tier it's a pretty safe pick.

I'm guessing a relative new comer to the bourbon scene? If so a price point you are into exploring might be a good start - but if you have some preferences on style it looks like a few can hit that topic too.

As usual, when bandit speaks he shares good knowledge

Thank you one and all. I'm going to try and get the smallest samples I can get until I settle. Of course if I get a large bottle and I don't quite like it, I'll just have to suffer through it.

One thing you'll notice about some bourbons. A lot of the places making bourbon actually have it distilled elsewhere and then shipped to then to be bottled.

They may employ different finishing techniques, like aging in wine barrels, but the bourbon is going to have the same mash bill and distillation process that's the same as something else.

So if you find a craft bourbon you like, figure out where it's originally from, and there's a possibility that there's a cheaper option that you'll like as well. It's also interesting to see if the extra finishing processes are adding flavor that's worth the money.

Also, your palette is your palette. You may agree or disagree with others on what tastes good. To each his own, plenty of bourbons out there to try.

Edited by Joe Miner

Four roses is good stuff. Widow Jane too.

Good call. These are two I like a lot. Some of my other go-to's:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Makers 46

John E. Fitzgerald Larceny

Sometimes, I just go for regular old Jim Beam or Wild Turkey. There are so many good choices for bourbon that don't cost a lot. My all-time favorite inexpensive brand is regular Evan Williams. Just tastes great to me.

Good call. These are two I like a lot. Some of my other go-to's:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Makers 46

John E. Fitzgerald Larceny

Sometimes, I just go for regular old Jim Beam or Wild Turkey. There are so many good choices for bourbon that don't cost a lot. My all-time favorite inexpensive brand is regular Evan Williams. Just tastes great to me.

I've always enjoyed my bourbon neat and personally have found that you mostly get what you pay for. With that said, there are cheaper bourbons that are worth drinking. The thing that hipsters and bourbon snobs don't always understand is that if it taste good to you, just drink it. Do you enjoy the standard Wild Turkey or Wild Turkey 101? I think Wild Turkey 101 can hold its own against most of the more expensive highly rated bourbons. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

I've always enjoyed my bourbon neat and personally have found that you mostly get what you pay for. With that said, there are cheaper bourbons that are worth drinking. The thing that hipsters and bourbon snobs don't always understand is that if it taste good to you, just drink it. Do you enjoy the standard Wild Turkey or Wild Turkey 101? I think Wild Turkey 101 can hold its own against most of the more expensive highly rated bourbons. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

Most recently, just the regular Wild Turkey. I'll go back and give 101 another try though.

I drink it neat too. I've found that for me the returns start diminishing around $50-$60/bottle. And sometimes I don't even want to drink something that could be described as "smooth." That's when I grab the Jim Beam or Evan Williams, which are both pretty damn good, but they do have that nasty bite that I crave sometimes.

I like both of those as well.

What we really need is an Asian Whiskey thread.

I've been looking to grab a bottle of Asian whiskey, but I've only tried Suntory (don't remember which one; it was a freebie at the bar). What are your top recommendations?