• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what worries me JM

the bills can just do no right here when it comes to the fans

- First.....shouldnt have traded 2 first round picks for him in a draft that produced other very good wr's......as if they knew that was even going to happen.

- Then.....they should not fart around with the extension.....unless of course they just give it to him and then he ends up coming up lame due to off the field actions....then of course they SHOULD NOT have given him the extension

I mean....come on folks....which is it?

- First.....shouldnt have traded 2 first round picks for him in a draft that produced other very good wr's......as if they knew that was even going to happen.

- Then.....they should not fart around with the extension.....unless of course they just give it to him and then he ends up coming up lame due to off the field actions....then of course they SHOULD NOT have given him the extension

Sammy, Shady, T Mobile, we need a breakout season from our superstars John,

Without some actual success its next to impossible to put up much of an argument with the skeptics about anything.

They've been right for 17 years...

i may be in the minority on this, but i actually don't feel we should give him the 5th year option...i feel the bills should let 2017 play out, and if sammy plays well, extend him or franchise him...i feel giving him the 5th year now just puts the team in a hole if he doesn't pan out.

i may be in the minority on this, but i actually don't feel we should give him the 5th year option...i feel the bills should let 2017 play out, and if sammy plays well, extend him or franchise him...i feel giving him the 5th year now just puts the team in a hole if he doesn't pan out.

I don't really have a problem with this Ja

Picking up the 5th year option keeps SW with the team through 2018 season. It doesn't put them in any kind of hole if he doesn't pan out. His contract will still be up after 2018. Better to see if he pans out over two years than just this season. Say he has a good year this season and stays healthy. Is that enough to make the Bills pay a rich FA contract or even a franchise tag deal less than a year from now? Given the past ( bad luck or whatever) I'd like to see if this player can stay healthy and produce for more than just 2017 before making that call.

Edited by Boatdrinks

.....the option costs you roughly $13 mil....2017 WR tag is $15 mil which would increase in 2018...so the crap shoot is $3 mil, roughly (increasing 2018 WR tag by $1 mil)................

Exactly.......not ACTUALLY huge difference and team still has control either way.

The risk is that if they pick up the option.......it becomes guaranteed for injury if Watkins gets hurt prior to it kicking in(1st day of league year in 2018) and subsequently can't play in that option year(2018).

So they are basically saying we'd rather risk having to spend the extra $4M or so on the franchise tag than guarantee a player with a concerning injury situation $13M if he gets hurt.

Simple as that.

I don't like the optics of it........because it says there is either real concern about his healing or real concern from the team about him doing what it takes to NOT re-injure it(like not playing pickup hoops out in LA and emphatically dunking on Deranged Greggo, per reports :flirt: ).

Obviously the injury concern is the holdup here and it's a real worry. Caveat emptor. That said, if they feel fully confident SW is healed, not picking up the option all but ensures they lose the player after 2018( if he is franchise tagged) They are not the Patriots and cannot expect to resign him just because of who they are. He will sign elsewhere. The " optics" created by not picking up the option and being ok with that mean they are fine with losing the player. We shall see....

Edited by Boatdrinks

The one that brings up the longest playoff drought in pro sports.

Also the one that where the Bills make a real effort, instead of having billionaires scam money by building up a team halfway for two years, then tearing it all down and starting over again.