So, your United flight is overbooked?

People around me are hoping this takes major airlines down and people now get respect.

I reply that whatever the airline pays out will be 100% handed right over to the increase in airline fare in two seconds.

You have a choice. Don't fly.

Oh the indignities of air travel! US apolgizes:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/business/united-airline-passenger-overbooked-flights.html?_r=0&referer=https://news.google.com/

"The videos cast a sharp focus on airline overbooking, as travelers, already dealing with the myriad indignities of flying, realized they could be physically ejected from a seat they had booked and paid for in advance."

If the guy had moved his ball 1/2" on the green, EII would have been fine with his treatment by police.

It was 1", don't make it 1/2"'now.

Flying is for the hoi polloi... Golf was invented for kings. Actually, I think the LPGA handled it low key and without as much drama as possible. I know there was a lot of sarcasm in that thread, really I do espouse keeping up appearances.

This is a class struggle.

Just busting your...

:-P

Guy still did not need to be an a hole

Either did the UA. Pay the guy what the inconvenience is worth against cancelling the next days flight vs say OT or getting another crew in.

Offering $800 bucks in vouchers is being a bigger douchebag/a-hole... How much does UA stand to make offering him chump change? Probably 10s of thousands... And they can't pony up a little better?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was NOT a grand - it was a voucher, a voucher with lots of conditions. With cash he could have paid for that 5 hour limo ride someone suggested.

And he would NOT have been asked to leave his seat in middle of flight since TSA officers would not been on plane.

It seems like you are type who would have dropped a kid like a rock too if he was kicking your seat.

was he a bigger kid than me?

No it was NOT a grand - it was a voucher, a voucher with lots of conditions. With cash he could have paid for that 5 hour limo ride someone suggested.

And he would NOT have been asked to leave his seat in middle of flight since TSA officers would not been on plane.

It seems like you are type who would have dropped a kid like a rock too if he was kicking your seat.

In all fairness dib did say he is scared of flying. Now, who knows how that anxiety manifests itself?

And dib... Maybe this Doctor also has flying anxiety... And by being seated was all in "the zone" ready for takeoff until his own personal "feng shui" (use the term loosely) was altered. Boom, he goes ballastic having to deal with the prospect of another 1/2 round of his fears if he has to all do it again the next day.

Don't get me wrong, I think fear of flying, security, airports is down right silly. What's there to be scared of? I do understand everybody's anxiety about air travel. I do respect that they have irrational fears. Fears that need to be dealt with head on. You MAY be no different than this air passenger in question, you just channel it another way.

Lost in all of this, is that he is a 69 year old man.

Who does that to an old man? I mean, was there no other way to diffuse the situation?

Yeah, he acted like a f-wit, but it all started with the A-hole cop, who is now suspended.

Who does that to an old man? I mean, was there no other way to diffuse the situation?

Yeah, he acted like a f-wit, but it all started with the A-hole cop, who is now suspended.

paraphrasing bill from nyc. He exited the plane. Forced his way back on. And refused to deboard. How long should they have waited? They couldn't taze or mace him in that close confine. What option did they have? How long should they wait.

Does anyone actually believe any of this? Or that Oscar really cares?

Oscar has a railroad (CSX) background. CSX makes their money hauling coal and heavy freight. No passengers there, not these kind of problems either!

Thank you for posting this, and for pointing out that this was United Express not United.

Interesting that JetBlue does not overbook. Do you know why? I've always enjoyed flying with them.

That's just been their policy from the beginning. They only sell mostly one way tickets, and I believe they are refundable, if you no-show. No multi layered fare rules, and gotcha's, it's really very simple and straight forward. I like their Airbus planes but the E-190's, not so much.

I'll say there are a few layers here that are all issues

1) the passenger was admittedly out of line. I know that's not popular but that's why this was the 1 in 10,000 type of situation even limited to looking at bad situations

2) the hospitality industry has also in a lot of ways forgotten service both to their guests and employees and it has created very standoffish attitudes before anything comes up.

3) people have no grasp on the true worth of their time. Several in that plane probably would've been better off volunteering to get the voucher. I waste a ton of time with less compensation and I'm POSITIVE a good portion of that flight does too

4) as usual, it seems we have a lot of policy experts out there that actually never dealt with any of this before reading a single article on this case

Oh, and united didn't want to get out of its own way for most of the story

Oscar has a railroad (CSX) background. CSX makes their money hauling coal and heavy freight. No passengers there, not these kind of problems either!

So that is where the piss poor United customer service culture comes from. Makes sense, people treated like freight.

Oh yes... Big problems with freight and passenger priority. Amtrak trains sit in South Chicago all the time waiting for freight. Probably where he gets his customer, paying passenger background from! I went to pick up my Mutha-in-law one time in Chicago, thought she would be early seeing that she was already through Hammond, only to find that the train sat 2.5 hours in South Chicago waiting for freight. 3 hours late, 15 miles from Union Station... I should have snagged her in Hammond!

Now... My father was a railroad man... Back in days before air travel, he said, paying passenger trains ALWAYS had priority over freight. Not today, not too many passenger trains around anymore. The same attitude should now apply to air travel since that mode is most prevalent. That seated passenger should get offered the right amount of money or get pushed through if they are already seated.

On the river, @ the lock, passenger boats (with paying passengers, in-hire, or on a published schedule) ALWAYS HAVE priority over freight AND WHEN they are already being accommodated (ie: in their friggan seat).

It goes:

1. US Gov't vessels (or gov't contractors conducting business)

2. Commercial Passenger

3. Commercial freight

4. Recreational and fishing vessels.

USC 33 CFR § 207.300:

d)Precedence at locks.

(1) The vessel arriving first at a lock shall normally be first to lock through, but precedence shall be given to vessels belonging to the United States. Licensed commercial passenger vessels operating on a published schedule or regularly operating in the for hire trade shall have precedence over cargo tows and like craft. Commercial cargo tows shall have precedence over recreational craft, except as described in paragraph (f) of this section.

I know there is wiggle room, but NEVER PULL RANK when somebody is in the act of locking.

What happened here would be like me taking a passenger or pleasure boat vessel downbound/upbound, seating them in the lock chamber... Then have a gov't (USCG/our work crew, etc... vessel or HAZMAT (red flag) tanker call, show up, then me ordering said passenger/pleasure craft out and having them wait 8-12 hours to get through lock. Believe me, down river wait times can be that long because of shipping log jams, double cuts, etc...

Hell would pay. And you know what the funny part is. Freight is paying the surcharge on fuel, everybody else free. Funds come out of General Fund. Still, there are paying customers on a vessels and their time comes first when properly arriving at the lock. Sorry, the flight crew came too late. The people seated get pushed though.

Just offer them the right amount of coin and this all becomes a non-issue. Somebody will bite. Oscar had this happen to realize this?? He must be traveling in a sheltered, priority bubble.

Either the guy moves when asked or he doesn't. Always so easy to blame the cop whose job is to remove the guy who refuses to budge. How else exactly should it have been 'diffused'?

Now on a lighter note, I usually stop paying attention to these stories once the outrage factor goes to 11, but in this case social media is really delivering the goods. Some of the memes I'm seeing are hilarious.

17884386_10212005782767274_4680916573278

Edited by KD in CA

Either the guy moves when asked or he doesn't. Always so easy to blame the cop whose job is to remove the guy who refuses to budge. How else exactly should it have been 'diffused'?

Now on a lighter note, I usually stop paying attention to these stories once the outrage factor goes to 11, but in this case social media is really delivering the goods. Some of the memes I'm seeing are hilarious.

Priceless!

I flew Spirit one time (please don't ask why)... I now get emails up the wazoo. Anyway, they love to play into the social commentary. It does make me chuckle...

Yeah... Wasn't Spirit the one with the chick throw down brawl last year or some time ago! :-/

My experience with being bumped for a voucher, but with Delta.

Three of us traveling for work and we're in Minneapolis, waiting for our last leg to our destination. Gate agent announces they're looking for three people to bump for $400 voucher. We start looking on the app to see what flights they have later in the day we can jump on, and see one about seven hours later. Gate agent bumps up to $600. We talk among ourselves and agree we will send one of us up and ask for $800 plus club passes. Gate agent says he can't do passes but will keep us in mind. About five minutes later he comes over to us and says he asked his manager, and though he can't give us club passes, he is authorized to give us the max they can offer, $1100, in a voucher. We jumped on it. So we got rebooked on the later flight, and since we now had hours to kill, took the train to the Mall Of America for the afternoon. Bonus was since we were traveling for work, we were getting paid while we waited for the later flight.

paraphrasing bill from nyc. He exited the plane. Forced his way back on. And refused to deboard. How long should they have waited? They couldn't taze or mace him in that close confine. What option did they have? How long should they wait

I agree that him getting back on the plane was bizarre, but that isn't the issue. The issue was that the airline decided that the only way to solve this issue was to forcibly remove a paying customer from their plane, after doing nothing wrong. You think he should've been tased or maced? C'mon.

How else could this have been diffused?

Hmmm... maybe they could've kept on upping the offer for anyone to leave the plane until someone actually accepts the offer?

Let's just imagine for a moment that this 69-year-old man, was your 69-year-old grandmother.

Let's say that United asked her to leave the plane, and she's no, because of one reason or another.

Would you honestly think it would be ok for a cop of grab her and drag her down the aisle, off of the plane??

Edited by Bad Things

Outrage spread to Vietnam on Wednesday over United Airlines' handling of a passenger dragged from his seat after it emerged that the 69-year-old U.S. doctor was Vietnamese by birth.

Although United Airlines has no direct flights to Vietnam, there were widespread calls on social media for a boycott after video showed a bloodied David Dao being yanked out of the plane by airport security on Sunday to make way for United employees.

How on Earth did it "all start" with the cop? Are you one of those "I hate cops" guys? The cop didn't even arrive until tons and tons of mistakes had been made both by United and by the passenger but it all started with the cop. Get over it dude, whatever it is.

Maybe in a fit of panic, coupled by his (assuming, you know how people get scared of flying, anxiety issues) "white knuckle" anxiety... He ran back on plane to get a bag, carry-on in overhead? Did he have any of those items?

Well, I hope they got those things for him, he obviously wasn't carrying anything when they dragged him off.