So, your United flight is overbooked?

My grandmother would have gotten off the plane without an argument

Pacifist Granny!

;-)

"Punch them in the face! Get 'em outta here!"

Anyway, did UA really lose/vaporize $800 million when the stock tanked on Monday. I guess it is like was said, time for the vultures to swoop in an make some money on the recovery!

you don't have a choice "not to fly" for business purposes, colleagues spend half their life in the process of getting to the plane and flying and getting to their destination.

Pick another job. I know people who quit jobs so they don't have to travel.

Anyway, I guess this is why there should be other prominant modes of transportation that compete with air travel. Air travel, yes the fastest, may need to compete with other modes?

CHI to Louisville is only 5 hours away @ 65mph.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, just go get another job. One in your area of education and skills and experience that MAGICALLY won't involve air travel...

Don't Bogart whatever it is you are smoking, kind sir...

How else could this have been diffused?

Hmmm... maybe they could've kept on upping the offer for anyone to leave the plane until someone actually accepts the offer?

Let's just imagine for a moment that this 69-year-old man, was your 69-year-old grandmother.

Let's say that United asked her to leave the plane, and she's no, because of one reason or another.

Would you honestly think it would be ok for a cop of grab her and drag her down the aisle, off of the plane??

Your prior post was ripping the police, not United. My first post in this thread stated United should have upped the offer (in fact, they should be required to by law), but that's irrelevant since cops don't have the option to pay people to comply; either you do as they ask or they are forced to use physical force on you.

And my grandmother would be 112, but at no age would she have acted that way in such a circumstance.

1+ hour in air and 2+ hours early to airport. That is 3 hours right there. Another 2 hours delayed for these jag-off events... Heck, already across the O-H-I-O and into Kentucky.

Louisville, that's close to Cincinnati?

"Baby, if you've ever wondered

Wondered whatever became of me

I'm living on the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati, WKRP

Got kind of tired packing and unpacking

Town to town and up and down the dial

Maybe you and me were never meant to be

But baby think of me once in awhile

Heading up that highway

Leaving you behind

Hardest thing I've ever had to do

Broke my heart in two

But Baby, pay no mind

The price for finding me was losing you.."

Yeah, just go get another job. One in your area of education and skills and experience that MAGICALLY won't involve air travel...

Now you sound like a whiner. Too many caveats on what you expect. Yes, I am a sympatheic bleeding heart, but that what you are putting down... That dog don't hunt with me.

Just get a tricked out RV like Madden, what's the problem? 😅

Just get a tricked out RV like Madden, what's the problem?

hmmmm....

I love people saying "just quit your job over an essential part of it"

bankruptcy is cool, park bench is nice in the summer to sleep on

Your prior post was ripping the police, not United. My first post in this thread stated United should have upped the offer (in fact, they should be required to by law), but that's irrelevant since cops don't have the option to pay people to comply; either you do as they ask or they are forced to use physical force on you.

And my grandmother would be 112, but at no age would she have acted that way in such a circumstance.

Yes. True. I think we all know the consequences, including the doc. I guess it takes a brave person to push back and take it on the chin in order to make a stand. Maybe it was good he wasn't in a rational mind and he stood his ground. Sure paying for it with the change that may happen.

Yes, when thinking this through, the doc was an idiot... But it sure may institute change. Change is good.

And yes Tom, the world needs idiots too.

Some times peace doesn't need to win out.

hmmmm....

I love people saying "just quit your job over an essential part of it"

bankruptcy is cool, park bench is nice in the summer to sleep on

Come on! You are making excuses. People change all the time, quit careers, move...

You aren't the baby elephant anymore, tied to the stake with the big azz heavy chain.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yes. True. I think we all know the consequences, including the doc. I guess it takes a brave person to push back and take it on the chin in order to make a stand. Maybe it was good he wasn't in a rational mind and he stood his ground. Sure paying for it with the change that may happen.

Yes, when thinking this through, the doc was an idiot... But it sure may institute change. Change is good.

And yes Tom, the world needs idiots too.

Some times peace doesn't need to win out.

Come on! You are making excuses. People change all the time, quit careers, move...

You aren't the baby elephant anymore, tied to the stake with the big azz heavy chain.

Really?

More like they got ****-canned from their job and are now a "consultant" with as many clients as Al Bundy's "Doctor Shoe" enterprise.

I've heard over 100 people lie and tell me they were tired of the daytime ratrace.

Yeah right you did, you were fired, sorry Laid-Off...

Edited by row_33

Absolutely agree, which is why I'm not ripping the guy. It's time for the government protection of airlines to shift back a bit to the consumer.

But leave the cop alone, he did nothing wrong.

Really?

More like they got ****-canned from their job and are now a "consultant" with as many clients as Al Bundy's "Doctor Shoe" enterprise.

I've heard over 100 people lie and tell me they were tired of the daytime ratrace.

Yeah right you did, you were fired, sorry Laid-Off...

Huh?

Being status driven should play no part and that, IMO, is where your attachment lies. We all get attached to something? Sorry, I am simply not a sympathetic ear on this one.

This thread is singularly the most insane thread here.

No one was in the right. There is absolutely no part of this in the right and the closest to such was the airline, though callous and jerk faced.

Defending either or taking time to think one is a victim is just silly billy

This thread is singularly the most insane thread here.

No one was in the right. There is absolutely no part of this in the right and the closest to such was the airline, though callous and jerk faced.

Defending either or taking time to think one is a victim is just silly billy

People still riled up about it at the office. So much suckiness on all sides.

But we learned something about how worse airline flight is than we thought.

...who cares? The odds of this happening are like the odds of being hit by a pitch from randy Johnson while getting struck by lightning in bed with Barbara mandrell

...who cares? The odds of this happening are like the odds of being hit by a pitch from randy Johnson while getting struck by lightning in bed with Barbara mandrell

lots of very angry people out there who hate everything corporate or government, the hatred is growing among those who are doing well and very well in life as well...

something is going to erupt soon...

Absolutely agree, which is why I'm not ripping the guy. It's time for the government protection of airlines to shift back a bit to the consumer.

But leave the cop alone, he did nothing wrong.

I agree. I was floored that he was suspended. Well, one was.

But, again... Even me @ work, if I followed our law to the letter, management would surely throw me under bus if things turned horribly wrong. I know, that isn't the way it should be! Sometimes, the boots on the ground gotta think on those very same feet that are in those boots.

As a person who deals with 10s of thousands of idiots, drunken & whatnot a year AND never relies on law enforcement or ourselves have any law enforcement powers... Myself @ work finds a way for these idiots to co-operate. One trick is to turn the rest of the people on the offender. One tactic comes in the form of:

"We are all going to have some "quality time" together if we don't help get this situation squared away."

;-) Believe me, dealing with 200 drunken boaters can be like dealing with a nursery school group. But, you get the sane, rational ones in any group to square the foul balls away.

Again, I work for the Federal agency that deals with more of the public than any other agency AND does not have an agency law enforcement arm. TSA has enforcement powers. We either have to rely on ourselves (mostly) or in very, very rare cases, outside law enforcement.

I am simply not a sympathetic ear, the more bully power you give somebody, the easier the use of sanctioned force becomes. That said, the officer still needs a talking to.

LoL... That's a classic!

But... Those girls wearing leggings that were booted... United Airlines!

I do see a pattern, culture?

Yep... Because you guys fly all the time. Anxiety and white knuckle flyers abound. Some people get nervous just getting through security. People hate being trapped, confined. I am a lock & dam operator, people get squirrelly even in a 1000'x110' area knowing they can't go anywhere for 15 minutes. It is amazing the social anxiety out there.

Last year, I had a boater threaten to shoot another boater and his family (wife and 6 year old). That boater was afraid to enter the lock together. They called the police and I had 10 squad cars on the lock wall. First time something like this happened in my 30 years there. Crazy, the guy who threatened the other guy turned around and went the other way, probably saw the cops.

Crazy, the fear and anxiety out there! I would think airports rank the highest for anxiety factor, feeling trapped, confined, not in control. ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

lots of very angry people out there who hate everything corporate or government, the hatred is growing among those who are doing well and very well in life as well...

something is going to erupt soon...

dissidents are healthy in society but those doing well have every right to be upset as they continue to be alienated by those in society are feedle and helpless as the powers that be in government, media and the like insist that they are the reason for the illnesses of this world.

Its a trend of 4-5 yrs we have seen played out and inflated to meet the agenda of this country's powers that be.

I agree. I was floored that he was suspended. Well, one was.

But, again... Even me @ work, if I followed our law to the letter, management would surely throw me under bus if things turned horribly wrong. I know, that isn't the way it should be! Sometimes, the boots on the ground gotta think on those very same feet that are in those boots.

As a person who deals with 10s of thousands of idiots, drunken & whatnot a year AND never relies on law enforcement or ourselves have any law enforcement powers... Myself @ work finds a way for these idiots to co-operate. One trick is to turn the rest of the people on the offender. One tactic comes in the form of:

"We are all going to have some "quality time" together if we don't help get this situation squared away."

;-) Believe me, dealing with 200 drunken boaters can be like dealing with a nursery school group. But, you get the sane, rational ones in any group to square the foul balls away.

Again, I work for the Federal agency that deals with more of the public than any other agency AND does not have an agency law enforcement arm. TSA has enforcement powers. We either have to rely on ourselves (mostly) or in very, very rare cases, outside law enforcement.

I am simply not a sympathetic ear, the more bully power you give somebody, the easier the use of sanctioned force becomes. That said, the officer still needs a talking to.

LoL... That's a classic!

But... Those girls wearing leggings that were booted... United Airlines!

I do see a pattern, culture?

Yep... Because you guys fly all the time. Anxiety and white knuckle flyers abound. Some people get nervous just getting through security. People hate being trapped, confined. I am a lock & dam operator, people get squirrelly even in a 1000'x110' area knowing they can't go anywhere for 15 minutes. It is amazing the social anxiety out there.

Last year, I had a boater threaten to shoot another boater and his family (wife and 6 year old). That boater was afraid to enter the lock together. They called the police and I had 10 squad cars on the lock wall. First time something like this happened in my 30 years there. Crazy, the guy who threatened the other guy turned around and went the other way, probably saw the cops.

Crazy, the fear and anxiety out there! I would think airports rank the highest for anxiety factor, feeling trapped, confined, not in control. ?

I would never expect you to get it.