No Gilmore, No Woods, No Brown, No Chance

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fine with letting Gilmore go not because he isn't good (he is) but this roster needs to be replenished and rebuilt. But that does mean we will take a step back before we go forward.

Unfortunately the Tyrod extension indicates the Bills have no idea if they are rebuilding or trying to tread water. If they try to tread water they will drown.

Whaley couldn't exactly tell the Pegulas that the roster needed blown up, could he? "I was against the Rex hire and that's the reason we haven't won." is the way he had to sell them on retianing him. "Our HC sucked and our roster sucks." just would've gotten him thrown out alongside Rex. I was in favor of a tank and rebuild, but Whaley can't do that at this point in his tenure here.

Whaley couldn't exactly tell the Pegulas that the roster needed blown up, could he? "I was against the Rex hire and that's the reason we haven't won." is the way he had to sell them on retianing him. "Our HC sucked and our roster sucks." just would've gotten him thrown out alongside Rex. I was in favor of a tank and rebuild, but Whaley can't do that at this point in his tenure here.

Actually, he could have. He could have said that the Bills would have broken the drought in 2015 if Rex was not hired and the scheme changed. Then, the roster took some hits in free agency and needs 2 more good to great drafts to get back to contending for the playoffs. That's the truth and what he should have told the owners.

Been rebuilding since 1999, endless cycle of wasted years. Should went fishing.

Brown = the defense was a whole lot better before he showed up. No way on earth a free agent journeyman is make or break. He had a lot of tackles, but he may not have even seen the field if Ragland hadn't jacked up his knee.

Woods = 600 yards and a few tds per year. He didn't crack the top 60 in production of any type. He has consistently performed as a very low end #2 WR. The bills could find 3 guys who can rival that production for the price the Rams paid for him.

Gilmore- easily the biggest talent hit. With the new scheme though a top press cover guy isn't a wise expenditure. Not even close.

Brown = the defense was a whole lot better before he showed up. No way on earth a free agent journeyman is make or break. He had a lot of tackles, but he may not have even seen the field if Ragland hadn't jacked up his knee.

Woods = 600 yards and a few tds per year. He didn't crack the top 60 in production of any type. He has consistently performed as a very low end #2 WR. The bills could find 3 guys who can rival that production for the price the Rams paid for him.

Gilmore- easily the biggest talent hit. With the new scheme though a top press cover guy isn't a wise expenditure. Not even close.

I think what will be missed is Z. Brown's speed on the field in coverage.....because as the season went on he started MISSING a lot of key tackles

Bills opened at 80/1 to win the Superbowl. Current odds are now 100/1. Only 4 NFL teams are rated lower.

http://www.thespread.com/odds-managernfl-football-futures

Browns, 49ers, Jets, Rams

Sure, they went 7-9, haven't added much talent on paper and got a whole new coaching regime complete with scheme revamp.

What has having better odds of winning the Super Bowl ever done for them?

I think what will be missed is Z. Brown's speed on the field in coverage.....because as the season went on he started MISSING a lot of key tackles

I agree that LBs need to get faster. I expect this to be addressed in the draft.

I am guilty of forming a negative opinion on the size of Z.Browns heart on one particular play v Miami, but yeah decent cover guy with the wheels to cover TEs RBs and even Slot WRs in a few cases effectively. Just don't consider him even close to a franchise shaping talent loss.

"especially with the schedule ahead" i covered this in another thread. the schedule (aside from maybe the Pats, who we play ever year) doesn't mean anything. teams change from year to year. just because they're competitive one year doesn't mean it's going to carry over to the next. so while you think we're 5-11, (however you got to that number who cares), the teams that you're forecasting as "good," probably won't be as good, just as the gimmes are never gimmes. this is why gamblers aren't millionaires.

found it:

PAST PERFORMANCE DOES NOT GUARANTEE FUTURE RESULTS.

Let's pretend it's Jan 2016. We look at our upcoming 2016-2017 schedule against 2015's records.

2015 record 2016 results

Pats (12-4): W, L

Jets (10-6): L, W

Miami (6-10): L, L

Cinci (12-4) W

Pitt (10-6) L
Balt (5-11) L

Cleve (3-13) W

Cards (13-3) W

Sea (10-6) L

LA (7-9) W

SF (5-11) W

Jags (5-11) W
Raiders (7-9) L

We beat previous 13-3, 12-4 (Brady-less), 12-4, and 10-6 teams. We lost to previous 7-9, 5-11, and 6-10 (twice) teams. There's no way to accurately predict any of this from the previous year. Too many variables. So you look at the 2017 schedule and what? You know that OAK is going to be good again? That DEN isn't just a middling 9-7 team without a QB? That the LA Chargers are going to do ANYTHING? That anyone in the NFC South isn't a one-year fluke (CAR, ATL). Btw, ATL pulled a NE by beating down a weak division (5-1 in the NFC S) to a first rd bye and home field.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Bills opened at 80/1 to win the Superbowl. Current odds are now 100/1. Only 4 NFL teams are rated lower.

http://www.thespread.com/odds-managernfl-football-futures

Browns, 49ers, Jets, Rams

I'm going to put down $100 for them to win the division and $100 for them to win the SB 🎉🎉🎉

Edited by KollegeStudnet

"especially with the schedule ahead" i covered this in another thread. the schedule (aside from maybe the Pats, who we play ever year) doesn't mean anything. teams change from year to year. just because they're competitive one year doesn't mean it's going to carry over to the next. so while you think we're 5-11, (however you got to that number who cares), the teams that you're forecasting as "good," probably won't be as good, just as the gimmes are never gimmes. this is why gamblers aren't millionaires.

found it:

PAST PERFORMANCE DOES NOT GUARANTEE FUTURE RESULTS.

Let's pretend it's Jan 2016. We look at our upcoming 2016-2017 schedule against 2015's records.

2015 record 2016 results

Pats (12-4): W, L

Jets (10-6): L, W

Miami (6-10): L, L

Cinci (12-4) W

Pitt (10-6) L

Balt (5-11) L

Cleve (3-13) W

Cards (13-3) W

Sea (10-6) L

LA (7-9) W

SF (5-11) W

Jags (5-11) W

Raiders (7-9) L

We beat previous 13-3, 12-4 (Brady-less), 12-4, and 10-6 teams. We lost to previous 7-9, 5-11, and 6-10 (twice) teams. There's no way to accurately predict any of this from the previous year. Too many variables. So you look at the 2017 schedule and what? You know that OAK is going to be good again? That DEN isn't just a middling 9-7 team without a QB? That the LA Chargers are going to do ANYTHING? That anyone in the NFC South isn't a one-year fluke (CAR, ATL). Btw, ATL pulled a NE by beating down a weak division (5-1 in the NFC S) to a first rd bye and home field.

We lost both to the Jets, FWIW.

No Rex Ryan; add Ragland who will be a stud LB; Lawson will be in his natural position; add a head coach who is level headed, has a clear plan of direction and who will make our defense with the help of Frasier much better and I would say this is far from 5-11. I think Tyrod could only improve and chances are Watson will play more games which will only help us offensively. I believe our kicker may actually win us a few games this season and our draft will only make us stronger. Therefore my glass will go in to this season half full and I think 8 wins is the worst we do and 12 wins is the ceiling.

...probably showed up, played for his 15 grand like the cement mixing Billy Shaw and went back to work at his full time job.......crippled now with zero support (check out Conrad Dobler's situation)........youngins' today are spoiled by not knowing how this game got to where it is now and how the grunts and grinders of its foundation are forgotten....

How stupid. I'm glad the players, as a whole, are smarter these days. Their lives matter more than a game or the fan's enjoyment.

The Bills right now are a 5-11 football team, especially with he schedule they have. Even if they keep the rest of their players, you know half of them end up not playing due to injuries. They need to trade down and get as many picks as possible and all of them contribute to even have a chance at 8-8. Exciting.

There is no correlation with a schedule at this time of year and how hard or easy it is. None. Zero. Nada. It's impossible to know and ridiculous to even postulate on.

It's also ridiculous to say what we are before the team has drafted and finished filling out their roster.

And until we see how good a coach McDermott is. If he is a good coach this could be a playoff team. Like any other business good managers/coaches tend to get much better results with the same employees most times.

Actually, he could have. He could have said that the Bills would have broken the drought in 2015 if Rex was not hired and the scheme changed. Then, the roster took some hits in free agency and needs 2 more good to great drafts to get back to contending for the playoffs. That's the truth and what he should have told the owners.

Those are some accurate reasons, but Whaley has blame too. He hasn't been better than fair at his job and it's real tough to go from talking about how you're building a quality team to needing a full rebuild in two seasons. He'd also have to explain why he backed the hiring of a coach (McD) that is going to require a revamp on both sides of the ball. No, it's a very short walk from "this team needs to completely rebuild" to "time to get a new GM". Whaley would have been playing very short odds with that tack.

Edited by BarleyNY

Those are some accurate reasons, but Whaley has blame too. He hasn't been better than fair at his job and it's real tough to go from talking about how you're building a quality team to needing a full rebuild in two seasons. He'd also have to explain why he backed the hiring of a coach (McD) that is going to require a revamp on both sides of the ball. No, it's a very short walk from "this team needs to completely rebuild" to "time to get a new GM". Whaley would have been playing very short odds with that tack.

I think we need a rebuild with two drafts. So one crap year on the field (which will happen anyway) then start to push for 8-8 or 9-7 next year. But if we refuse to rebuild this will take far longer.

How stupid. I'm glad the players, as a whole, are smarter these days. Their lives matter more than a game or the fan's enjoyment.

....so you trash the founding roots of this league as "stupid"?....ignorance is bliss...you win....good Lord............