Let's Talk About Trading Up

What scenario would be appealing to move up in the draft?

What type of currency would you be willing to part with to get said player?

I recognize that this is an unpopular strategy, especially considering that our big trade for Sammy has not produced as expected, but I do hope that OBD is not gunshy if the right opportunity presents itself.

The one guy I'd be intrigued to make a move for is Jonathan Allen. It's not a pressing need at all, but if he got to #7, I'd at least call the Chargers. There has been some chatter about "bad shoulders", but the guy has never missed time. Long term replacement for Kyle, an immediate contributor at multiple positions across the D-line (favorably compared to Michael Bennett), ridiculous production. We have talent that can rush the passer, but this kind of move could help cement our ability to attack QBs consistently, aid our young secondary and improve the run defense with a big body to move (Kyle has never been a great run defender) I'd have a hard time trading up for a Safety and doubt a top tier corner makes it that far. Going off the value chart, a 3rd and 6th may grease the skids for a move to 7.

:ph34r:

Edited by TheElectricCompany

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

I feel like you didn't even read the topic and posted your work from another thread.

Update: I'm right.

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

Edited by switz1610

I feel like you didn't even read the topic and posted your work from another thread.

I read it, but feel like trading down is the better option. Sorry if I copied and pasted, but it seems there are several draft topic / scenario type threads out there and felt the need to go postal on everyone's draft threads. Lol

When you have only six picks in the draft, trading up is probably unwise. I don't think Allen would be worth the cost.

DW continues to get raked over the coals for trading up for Sammy. Might be different without the injury issues and deficiencies at qb.

Imo, we don't have the resources and I would only trade up if OBD has identified a franchise qb.

When you have only six picks in the draft, trading up is probably unwise. I don't think Allen would be worth the cost.

DW continues to get raked over the coals for trading up for Sammy. Might be different without the injury issues and deficiencies at qb.

Imo, we don't have the resources and I would only trade up if OBD has identified a franchise qb.

I don't think our draft currency cupboard is bare at all. We have a 2nd, 3rd and 5th to play with it, all of next year. We're not the Browns or Titans, but if the right player was identified, we could do it.

Trading up for Sammy certainly stings for plenty of reasons, but I don't think that's a reason to be gunshy.

I don't think our draft currency cupboard is bare at all. We have a 2nd, 3rd and 5th to play with it, all of next year. We're not the Browns or Titans, but if the right player was identified, we could do it.

Trading up for Sammy certainly stings for plenty of reasons, but I don't think that's a reason to be gunshy.

I think its generally a mistake to raid 2018 draft picks to move up in the 2017 draft. Obviously, we could.

I will reiterate. I would only think about such a move for a franchise qb.

I think its generally a mistake to raid 2018 draft picks to move up in the 2017 draft. Obviously, we could.

I will reiterate. I would only think about such a move for a franchise qb.

If you are pillaging picks to move up, I agree. It will be tough for the Rams and Eagles to be competitive considering the kings ransom they paid last year. I don't think any trade up to the top 5 will be doable, but 7 or 8 could happen at a reasonable rate. Getting a top tier DL there would mean there was an early rush on QB, S & CB.

I would only trade up for QB, DL or OLB pass rushers.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

if the season started today....the biggest need is #1 CB.

however, i'm only using first round picks on QB's & front seven both sides of ball

i use second round picks for finesse players...WR's, DB's & RB's

there are 10 top tier level talent players in this draft, (without any QB's)

so at #10, i'm getting one of those top tier players or my choice of QB's.

definitely NOT trading up. unlikely i'm trading down.

there's no need to trade up. Corey Davis, Mahomes, Reuben Foster and others should be there at 10

Mahomes doesn't warrant a top 10 pick, there are questions if he even warrants a 1st Round pick. Davis' injury concerns me as he did no offseason workouts so don't have a timed forty on him and being he played in a lesser conference in college I wonder how "good" he is. Foster might be the best LB in the draft but unsure we need a LB with our top pick as expect us to spent a majority of our time in 4-2-5 defense. I'd prefer taking a top safety (not Peppers) or Mike Williams or OJ Howard or trade down.