Lexi Thompson...Unbelieveable

plenzmd1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. I just checked it out. Seems messed up. I bet the Russians are involved in some way. By the way...yes I would.

oh lordy..its a yes all the way! Be even better when she jumps in the drink if she wins!

although Ryu shows some promise with a jump in the drink as well.

The interview with Petterson was great..

Edited by plenzmd1

Misplacing the ball by an inch on a one foot putt and getting a two stroke penalty seems a bit harsh. Getting another two stroke penalty for therefore signing her scorecard wrong

is pathetic, especially 24 hours after the so called infractions.

Boo to the LPGA and the DB that called it in.

Seems like the rule should be that once the round is over, round is over. Shouldn't be able to go back and review video and assess penalties later.

I can understand the initial penalty, but the scorecard thing is completely ridiculous (apparently that's not an automatic DQ anymore, luckily). If you assess a penalty AFTER the card has been signed, the card was not wrong. Absolute worst case, she should have only been penalized two strokes.

I have a new neighbor who plays on the european tour and I really need to seek out his opinion on this one.

I watched that several times in slow motion, and it seemed like less than an inch! Really? It's unfair to punish someone for being on TV more than the other people, who may also have missed a ball placement by a fraction of an inch but it wasn't televised. I hated that, but her name (and her Red Bull sponsorship) just got a big boost!

I think the NFL should do this, let us look at the Bills game the next day and see if there's anything that the refs missed that turn the L into a W!

...But seriously, how can you lose two strokes for signing a scorecard that was correct at the time? Was it someone home in their mothers basement that called it in the next day (if so where did they get a email or phone number?) or a pissed competitor that had someone call for them.

..LPGA can sleep well I guess

I watched that several times in slow motion, and it seemed like less than an inch! Really? It's unfair to punish someone for being on TV more than the other people, who may also have missed a ball placement by a fraction of an inch but it wasn't televised. I hated that, but her name (and her Red Bull sponsorship) just got a big boost!

I think that really nails it. There are 72 holes in a golf tournament. usually only the back nine is televised, some tournaments only air on Saturday and Sunday so we're down to 18, and they focus on the leaders as well. Unless every shot of every hole by every golfer is televised how can it possibly be an even playing field to the point of allowing people to email rules violations in?

I admire golf in one respect in being so vigilant about their rules. There is something to be said for that. But the idea behind having rules for anything is to level the playing field. Accepting input during an event from a random source who sees what.....5% of the overall play if that....and is not vetted in any way to establish neutrality is most certainly NOT leveling the playing field. There are blown calls in every sport and we can argue back and forth whether missing a ball placed off by one inch on an upcoming easy shot is a "missed call". Does anyone seriously think someone else didn't violate a rule somewhere along the line that wasn't on TV?

"The ruling cost her more than a strong chance at her second major title: Ryu won $405,000 with the victory, and Thompson went home with just over $250,000 in second place."

Gee... My heart bleeds...

Right. Because she hasn't worked like crazy to develop her skills.

"The fateful email arrived during Sunday's final round, alerting officials to the violation committed Saturday. Thompson marked a 1-foot putt with a coin on the 17th green during her third round, but she replaced the ball perhaps 1 inch out of position."

It's only an inch. Kinda sloppy. Standards. Yeah I agree that fans shouldn't call in. But, attention to detail people. Unless you are Stevie Wonder, you are not sliding sloppiness. Just suck it up and move on. Be thankful it wasn't when this kind of sloppiness would get one DQ'd.

Again, is what it is. Nobody to blame but herself for not being detailed driven. And yes, fans shouldn't call in or that Pat** receiver knocked out cold and out of bounds would have never counted. Heck, who am I kidding, they would have just ignored us! :D

...Or maybe "The Comeback" doesn't happen because Beebe steps out of bounds... :wallbash:

I think that really nails it. There are 72 holes in a golf tournament. usually only the back nine is televised, some tournaments only air on Saturday and Sunday so we're down to 18, and they focus on the leaders as well. Unless every shot of every hole by every golfer is televised how can it possibly be an even playing field to the point of allowing people to email rules violations in?

I admire golf in one respect in being so vigilant about their rules. There is something to be said for that. But the idea behind having rules for anything is to level the playing field. Accepting input during an event from a random source who sees what.....5% of the overall play if that....and is not vetted in any way to establish neutrality is most certainly NOT leveling the playing field. There are blown calls in every sport and we can argue back and forth whether missing a ball placed off by one inch on an upcoming easy shot is a "missed call". Does anyone seriously think someone else didn't violate a rule somewhere along the line that wasn't on TV?

Right. Because she hasn't worked like crazy to develop her skills.

She works like crazy... Only to schit in a placement. Needs to work just a little harder!

Like Jackie Robinson watching to make sure Bobby Thomson touched all the bases!

"The fateful email arrived during Sunday's final round, alerting officials to the violation committed Saturday. Thompson marked a 1-foot putt with a coin on the 17th green during her third round, but she replaced the ball perhaps 1 inch out of position."

It's only an inch. Kinda sloppy. Standards. Yeah I agree that fans shouldn't call in. But, attention to detail people. Unless you are Stevie Wonder, you are not sliding sloppiness. Just suck it up and move on. Be thankful it wasn't when this kind of sloppiness would get one DQ'd.

Again, is what it is. Nobody to blame but herself for not being detailed driven.

Rules are rules. I get that part. If an official made the correct call on the scene she still would have won. So the LPGA has poor officiating....then they make the terrible choice of accepting fan input.....then they further punish the player because of an incorrect scorecard that the player couldn't have known was incorrect. Her attention to detail was a small fraction of the issue in an unevenly officiated match that was officiated unevenly....on purpose. Their system is broken and needs to be fixed.

As for the original mistake, she should have caught it herself and called herself on it. 2 strokes. The game of golf is largely self policed. But if the LPGA is going to let other people do the policing then HIRE THEM.

Rules are rules. I get that part. If an official made the correct call on the scene she still would have won. So the LPGA has poor officiating....then they make the terrible choice of accepting fan input.....then they further punish the player because of an incorrect scorecard that the player couldn't have known was incorrect. Her attention to detail was a small fraction of the issue in an unevenly officiated match that was officiated unevenly....on purpose. Their system is broken and needs to be fixed.

As for the original mistake, she should have caught it herself and called herself on it. 2 strokes. The game of golf is largely self policed. But if the LPGA is going to let other people do the policing then HIRE THEM.

I agree. Yes. LPGA has bad officiating. But she should still lose (or at least it affected outcome) for being sloppy and suck it up and blame nobody else but herself... Which I think she may have. She was right, it is a learning event. Since golf is "self policing", gotta come down uber heavy when stuff like this happen.

Good thing she isn't a brain surgeon.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

To be fair to the LPGA, it's "a golf thing" and the PGA has done the same thing by responding to fans viewing on TV. Maybe not quite as dramatic, but it's happened. I still don't like it for a variety of reasons (not the least of it being it's unbalanced and is more likely to hurt leaders on TV more). So, how much off was the placement? Very little in my eye. How about if it was only half an inch instead of an inch? A quarter inch? Where is the line? This was NOT an egregious violation, but it wasn't perfect. I'd be ashamed of myself if I emailed in about that, but impresssed that I was paying such close attention!

I sure loved the chutzpah she showed fighting back. If they had informed her in a timely fashion she might have been slightly more aggressive and turned it on enough to still win outright. That's one more thing wrong with thism whole deal!

And since we're talking golf......let the Masters begin!

Edited by Augie