Lexi Thompson...Unbelieveable

plenzmd1

To be fair to the LPGA, it's "a golf thing" and the PGA has done the same thing by responding to fans viewing on TV. Maybe not quite as dramatic, but it's happened. I still don't like it for a variety of reasons (not the least of it being it's unbalanced and is more likely to hurt leaders on TV more). So, how much off was the placement? Very little in my eye. How about if it was only half an inch instead of an inch? A quarter inch? Where is the line? This was NOT an egregious violation, but it wasn't perfect. I'd be ashamed of myself if I emailed in about that, but impresssed that I was paying such close attention!

I sure loved the chutzpah she showed fighting back. If they had informed her in a timely fashion she might have been slightly more aggressive and turned it on enough to still win outright. That's one more thing wrong with thism whole deal!

And since we're talking golf......let the Masters begin!

Has any golfer in the history of the game ever correctly replaced the ball? To the micron?

I agree. Yes. LPGA has bad officiating. But she should still lose (or at least it affected outcome) for being sloppy and suck it up and blame nobody else but herself... Which I think she may have. She was right, it is a learning event. Since golf is "self policing", gotta come down uber heavy when stuff like this happen.

Good thing she isn't a brain surgeon.

It is evidently "fan policing" which is not discernible from "rival's uncle's poling".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any golfer in the history of the game ever correctly replaced the ball? To the micron?

I'd venture a guess that there's almost always at least one blade of grass that was or wasn't touched inappropriately on almost every placement. This was not a big deal, but I get it wasn't perfect.

I warn people in advance of golf, I fully expect to cheat so don't try to steal my money with bets. And by the 12th hole I am in eager pursuit of the beer cart lady! :)

Next time a ballplayer hits a home run... It's okay to miss second base by a 1/4".

Heck, the ball went over the fence. Who cares?

You mean like the intentional walk? You never know.

Touching the bag is absolute, you did or you didn't. You can NEVER but the ball back in the EXACT same spot. A single blade of grass may or may not touch the ball.

You mean like the intentional walk? You never know.

Touching the bag is absolute, you did or you didn't. You can NEVER but the ball back in the EXACT same spot. A single blade of grass may or may not touch the ball.

I think placing a golf ball an inch off is a little too far. Just sloppy and careless. Or, ah nobody cares, close enough, how 'bout I cheat a little. She'll never tell you. Who would?

"Give an inch, take a mile"

I think placing a golf ball an inch off is a little too far. Just sloppy and careless. Or, ah nobody cares, close enough, how 'bout I cheat a little. She'll never tell you. Who would?

"Give an inch, take a mile"

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. She will learn, and I NEVER expect to see that again. But I'm not sure it was even an inch. (I might have placed it in the cup, but that';s me. :) ) And she got screwed by the process. Tell her before she tees off on #1 and I bet she turns it on and wins it. Tell her Sunday on #13 and it's too late. Share recovered, but too little and TOO LATE. TOTALLY unfair. Add in the double penalty, not good....

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. She will learn, and I NEVER expect to see that again. But I'm not sure it was even an inch. (I might have placed it in the cup, but that';s me. :) ) And she got screwed by the process. Tell her before she tees off on #1 and I bet she turns it on and wins it. Tell her Sunday on #13 and it's too late. Share recovered, but too little and TOO LATE. TOTALLY unfair. Add in the double penalty, not good....

Fair enough. I agree to disagee. You are trying to modernize it up to the moment. It's either played right or wrong. Like a ball game under protest. A team might not know about it up to the moment, in game action. I suppose they come down hard and follow rules to a tee because golf is so much of an honor system built into game. Again, give an inch, some will take a mile. No "statue of limitations." Even fans watching a zillion ways may see something.

Just imagine if Belicheat was playing golf and thought nobody was watching? Or if he knew there was a limitation on infraction. His personality would turn the game into a cheatfest gaining every advantage as much as possible.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I will grant that the ball may have originally been in a former ball mark or some other green imperfection that caused her to fudge it a little. I doubt we'll ever know. It's not THAT there was a penalty (to me), as much as HOW it was enforced.

I will grant that the ball may have originally been in a former ball mark or some other green imperfection that caused her to fudge it a little. I doubt we'll ever know. It's not THAT there was a penalty (to me), as much as HOW it was enforced.

Yeah. But they must have seen something egregious on video?

Again, no statue of imitations. Either right or wrong, even 24 hours later. The game tournament is played over days.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I played in a Tournament with a guy who said that a player can place the ball anywhere within a club-head length from the mark. He also gave himself a gimme if the ball was within the flag-pole length away from the hole.

I didn't really care. We all just got drunk

I warn people in advance of golf, I fully expect to cheat so don't try to steal my money with bets. And by the 12th hole I am in eager pursuit of the beer cart lady! :)
Edited by unbillievable

I played in a Tournament with a guy who said that a player can place the ball anywhere within a club-head length from the mark. He also gave himself a gimme if the ball was within the flag-pole length away from the hole.

I didn't really care. We all just got drunk.

If $405,000 was on the line, I bet you guys would care.

;-P

Again, no statue of imitations. Either right or wrong, even 24 hours later. The game tournament is played over days.

What if the supposed violation happened on Sunday and it gets reported a day later (like in this case)? Do they change the winner on Monday? Sorry, there are limits.

Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous. The "official" that called the play only watched 5% of the game. If that. It makes no sense.

What if the supposed violation happened on Sunday and it gets reported a day later (like in this case)? Do they change the winner on Monday? Sorry, there are limits.

Unfortunately, yes. Honor Code was broken, even if they say it was unwittingly. Victor stripped of win.

Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous. The "official" that called the play only watched 5% of the game. If that. It makes no sense.

Again, the game is self-policed. Was there an infraction. They verified it. The burden is on Lexi to get it right. She didn't by what they saw. This isn't nursery school. Again, integrity and burden is on every player, even the fans.

Unfortunately, yes. Honor Code was broken, even if they say it was unwittingly. Victor stripped of win.

Again, the game is self-policed. Was there an infraction. They verified it. The burden is on Lexi to get it right. She didn't by what they saw. This isn't nursery school. Again, integrity and burden is on every player, even the fans.

As I tell my kids, you have the right to your opinion. And the right to be wrong. :)

That ball placement (to me), did not meet the level of violation to cause a 4 stroke penalty. At best, it was too close to call. At worst, she did not knowlingly sign an incorrect scorecard. I get rules are rules. Tell me how many blades of grass away a ball can be placed. There IS a gray area, and there SHOULD BE a limit to how long it can be imposed. The LPGA should be DQ'ed for doing it on #13 a day later. Unacceptable. PERIOD.

As I tell my kids, you have the right to your opinion. And the right to be wrong. :)

That ball placement (to me), did not meet the level of violation to cause a 4 stroke penalty. At best, it was too close to call. At worst, she did not knowlingly sign an incorrect scorecard. I get rules are rules. Tell me how many blades of grass away a ball can be placed. There IS a gray area, and there SHOULD BE a limit to how long it can be imposed. The LPGA should be DQ'ed for doing it on #13 a day later. Unacceptable. PERIOD.

Although I agree with your opinion on the rule, that is not the real issue to me.

The "email officiating" is absurd. Did they review the film of all players and all ball placements or only the one where some random person complained? "Getting a call right" is one thing and can be argued either way in this case. Only officiating part of the game is simply ridiculous.

Once the ball is on the green they should not be allowed to touch it with anything but the putter.

The PGA/LPGA need to invest in cameras that can determine the exact blades of grass the ball sat behind, one cm off and 2/3 of the way through the next days round a hefty penalty will be enforced. Put the fear of jeebus in these golfers heads.

Once the ball is on the green they should not be allowed to touch it with anything but the putter.

The PGA/LPGA need to invest in cameras that can determine the exact blades of grass the ball sat behind, one cm off and 2/3 of the way through the next days round a hefty penalty will be enforced. Put the fear of jeebus in these golfers heads.

I don't know if you golf, but when the ball hits a soft green, it often makes a deep mark and a clump of soil adheres to the ball. Hard to putt a ball that is no longer round, and a green full of pot holes is hard to putt on.

Next time a ballplayer hits a home run... It's okay to miss second base by a 1/4".

Heck, the ball went over the fence. Who cares?

Baseball worked pretty damn well for about 150 years before everyone got hysterical over 1/4" on a neighborhood play or rounding second on a 450 foot homer.

The lesson, as always, is replay sucks huge ass. Always has, always will.