You are my sunshine, my only sunshine Jerry

The above IS tough to argue with. :)

You know what is completely crazy? The fact that SO many posters on this board knew that Marrone and his staff were amateurs, knew Rex was a fraud, knew that almost every draft was terrible, knew it was a mistake to trade up for Sammy, etc.

I am NOT saying that I am one of them, I am NOT, but there are a couple of posters here that could have ran this team better than the "pros" have. It wouldn't seem possible but I really believe this.

It's allot easier to recognize mistakes than to consistently have the right answers. Maybe there were posters who knew all that stuff going in, but it doesn't mean the alternatives they would have come up with would have been any better.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line Jerry is right. Whaley sucks and isn't a Good GM. Enough is enough, they should have fired him this offseason

Did we go 0-48? Are we devoid of talent? No Pro Bowlers? No players leading the league in sacks and tackles? An offense dead last in every category? Yup, gotta fire him.

I don't understand how so many posters can blame one person for 17 years of failure when he has only been at his position for 4 years!!!!!! I read about draft picks traded, players injured, no QB drafted. As for the draft picks, we do not know the magnitude of these decisions, as we are not nearly far enough into the careers of the acquired players to determine their true value. As for the injuries they happen and can not be accounted for unless there was a significant history previously. And as for QB, who would you have selected with out trading the ranch to get, when this team has so many needs. As a caveat I will say the Lawson pick was unfortunate as he clearly had the injury before the draft, but can you not agree that pick was directly from Rex most likely! And still if he goes on to a stellar career it will be looked at as a genius choice. In closing I only wish jerry's article had been, the BN has finally come to their sense's and this will be my last column. I refuse to click a single BN sports article as I don't need them to form my opinions for me.

Finally read the article. Actually really don't have much of a problem with it as his point is more based on everything going on behind the scenes, it's time to move on. The problem I have is know idea how much of the stuff being reported is close to the truth. If it is then would agree, they should move on and maybe it will happen after the draft.

Ok I've heard enough and have to respond. He stuck with EJ too long? That may have been the quickest moving on from a QB I've seen without an injury dictating it. That includes his rookie season when he played 10 games in which he wasn't the intended starter (Kolb). He gets named the starter in his second season and is benched after game 4 and never sees the field again. The following year he plays in 2 games due to an injury to Taylor then we all saw last year.

How on earth can anyone think WHALEY over rated EJ and stuck with him too long?

You're just wrong John and you're the exact emotional fan that Sullivan intends to reach.

Marrone was criticized by many for making a quick judgment on EJ. He was absolutely right. Some personnel decisions are tough to make but this wasn't one of them. EJ was not only ineffectual in the games but he was also in practice. What's the point of continuing on with a qb that it is apparent right from the start that he simply didn't have it.

You are trying to portray it as if he wasn't given a fair shot. That is a crazy notion! The team and organization were desperate to come up with an adequate qb, and he didn't even meet that standard. EJ is a terrific person and a hard working person. He failed but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of effort. He just didn't have it----and it was obvious to everyone.

The shame of the EJ fiasco is that instead of continuing on with the pursuit of a franchise qb (that we still don't have) time was wasted on a qb that it was apparent to most that he simply didn't have it.

I'm not an emotional fan as you try to portray me. What I recognize and you don't is that the Bills have not made the playoffs for 18 consecutive years and there is an abundance of reasons for it. One of the primary reasons for this ignominious distinction is that this backwater organization has not had a legitimate franchise qb for over 20 years since the departure of Kelly. And what you fail to acknowledge no matter how EJ was handled he was never going to be a solution because he simply wasn't good enough, and never will be for any other team.

Edited by JohnC

I think at this point, its more than fair to criticize Whaley over a variety of topics.

1. Since he arrived in 2010, he has been the #1 or #2 ranking FO member.The team is no closer to making the Playoffs than there were when Buddy Nix said the Bills are close ... 7 years ago.

2. Jerry is right, there are few examples of young, first contract talent on this team. What up and coming players do we have? You have Watkins at #4 overall with the trade in 2014, Darby in 2015, McCoy in 2015, Incognito in 2015. Clay is not effective for that kind of money. He also made nice moves unearthing Alexander and Brown last year in FA. That's about it.

3. Whaley's QB acumen is on the table for debate. He said after the 2013 that he was excited about Manuel, Tuel and Thad Lewis at QB. And it wasn't until after Marrone had his blow up on the sidelines that he signed Orton out of retirement. After that he got outbid for Josh McCown, traded for Matt Cassel and signed Tyrod Taylor.

His plan at QB so far has been to take backups from around the league, and have them compete against EJ Manuel. Also, the reports that Whaley was pushing EJ on Coaching candidates in 2015.

Whaley continued to push EJ all the way to Week 17 in 2016.

4. Consistent reports since he became GM that he is difficult to work with and fights with the Coaches here.

5. The team doesn't have much cap space because they have been so reliant on Free Agency (due to poor drafting), and they have 6 total draft picks to try and fill all the holes because we keep trading up.

6. His Press Conferences clearly show that he doesn't set the Vision for this team. The Coach does. And he just goes and gets talent to fit whatever scheme. He doesn't pick the Coaches, doesn't have a vision for the team, the defense continues to flip flop schemes every year.

What evidence is there that winning is close?

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

OK, Sullivan is right. Whaley is a bad GM. Fire Whaley's a$$. Who's next in the execution line? Jerry can't wait for McDermott to fail - that is his M.O.

Again, laying in wait like a lion by the watering hole. Does Sullivan have any suggestions on whom should be our GM? Our "Football Czar"? = NO he doesn't.

I always watch the Sports Reporters on ESPN Sunday's. Sullivan wouldn't be allowed to step foot on that set - same with WGR Mike Schopp. These guys make their bones by trying to be

controversial and negative. We Bills fans shouldn't settle for 17 years of Bills playoff drought, and we shouldn't settle for mediocre hack journalism either.

OK, Sullivan is right. Whaley is a bad GM. Fire Whaley's a$$. Who's next in the execution line? Jerry can't wait for McDermott to fail - that is his M.O.

Again, laying in wait like a lion by the watering hole. Does Sullivan have any suggestions on whom should be our GM? Our "Football Czar"? = NO he doesn't.

I always watch the Sports Reporters on ESPN Sunday's. Sullivan wouldn't be allowed to step foot on that set - same with WGR Mike Schopp. These guys make their bones by trying to be

controversial and negative. We Bills fans shouldn't settle for 17 years of Bills playoff drought, and we shouldn't settle for mediocre hack journalism either.

But ... there are no results to back up Whaley against Schopp or Sullivan.

The team won 9 in 2014, 8 in 2015, 7 in 2016, after inheriting 4, 6, 6 and 6 from 2010-2013.

So where are they way wrong?

As far as no suggestions on GM, don't do what Russ and Ralph did in 2010 and "scan a list of names" - actually get out there and interview people.

I happen to agree with him.

I think most do. The Bills are a joke, and the sunshine fans wonder why we end each season deeply disappointed from a perennially untalented and consistently outplayed and crashing roster by seasons end.

Well, it's kinda easy to see.

Whaley has been horrific, and finally, finally the Pegulas are seeing it. Soon enough, someone will be spraying Lysol in Whaleys old office..

Find yourself in a hole? Quit digging.....

Gotta disagree with you. I think this team has enough talent to at least make it to the playoffs. They have been poorly prepared, inconsistent and poorly coached at least for the past two years. Consistency comes with good coaching and that IMO is what has been lacking lately. There are many reasons for the 17 year drought, but lately I don't believe it has been because of a lack of talent.

...not sure I understand the logic here bud so help the old codger out.....let's say both DW and Buddy were in the mix for 2013 draft (doesn't really matter)....and I know from my contacts that Genome was choice #1 until they interviewed him and worked him out....hence EJ was #2......his career start was less than desirable with the disastrous noodleless Kolb signing even before the "Great Mat Attack"...top 5 worst signing in OBD history, a guy concussed 5+ times?.....be it as it may, EJ showed early on that he struggled mightly with scanning the field, reads/progressions, spotting receivers, etc. all gray matter issues which I will forever doubt to be fixable as in re-training the brain..add in ZERO confidence for good measure....Steve Young (yup HIM) said it best with, "more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed at the NFL level because of the speed and complexity of the game"....which to me means if re-training the gray matter was an easy fix, more would eventually succeed...NOT happenin' IMO....so if EJ's deficiencies are evident to an old fart like me, why the hell would Whaley jeopardize his reputation among his peers and potential employers if canned, by touting this guy to the bitter end?...what did I miss??...

Simple. He doesn't want to admit he made a big mistake with EJ. Stubborn. He hyped the guy up too much and it came back on him. Plus maybe he is just horrible at evaluating QBs in the draft.

Gotta disagree with you. I think this team has enough talent to at least make it to the playoffs. They have been poorly prepared, inconsistent and poorly coached at least for the past two years. Consistency comes with good coaching and that IMO is what has been lacking lately. There are many reasons for the 17 year drought, but lately I don't believe it has been because of a lack of talent.

Bills are an average team that could sneak in as a WC. Now you take that with a dysfunctional FO.

But ... there are no results to back up Whaley against Schopp or Sullivan.

The team won 9 in 2014, 8 in 2015, 7 in 2016, after inheriting 4, 6, 6 and 6 from 2010-2013.

So where are they way wrong?

As far as no suggestions on GM, don't do what Russ and Ralph did in 2010 and "scan a list of names" - actually get out there and interview people.

Yep. Better team but not enough better for a variety of the same old reasons.

I get what you are saying. But man - if I was a Buffalo News Columnist my job would be a piece of cake. Just wait for the next Bills (or Sabres) snafu & write an article about how you know better.

That's easy! It's bad enough we've had a 500 team for the past ump-teem years, but to read our so called Buffalo Sports Media (support) people nip at the heels of hind-sight, it's such a downer!

I wish the Bflo News would can Sullivan. I'd much rather listen to Sal Capaccio who is insightful, positive, and wants Buffalo Sports to improve and shine a good light on WNY.

Simple. He doesn't want to admit he made a big mistake with EJ. Stubborn. He hyped the guy up too much and it came back on him. Plus maybe he is just horrible at evaluating QBs in the draft.

....c'mon, you're a helluva lot smarter than that to offer this up....you're not giving much credit to his peers in judgment or potential owners in search of a GM to see through dodging the "admission bullet"..they ALL make mistakes...man up, admit it and move on IMO............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Wow another hateful rant by Jerry, I wonder if he can even order a cup of coffee without bitching about how hot it is. I sometimes wonder if the Pegulas sit around and shake their heads sometimes regarding the media in Buffalo. The most negative market in the country bar none. Hopefully Monday we can get more "drought trivia" from the geniuses at WGR. Simply awful and embarrassing to see how negative the whole market is

Knock it off! He gets paid to write his opinion.

You have the option not to read his opinion if you don't want to. I appreciate reading different opinions even when I don't always agree.

Enough with the anti-media hatred. It's un-American and shows a lack of understanding what freedom means.

You have the option not to read his opinion if you don't want to. I appreciate reading different opinions even when I don't always agree.

Enough with the anti-media hatred. It's un-American and shows a lack of understanding what freedom means

Tying dislike for Sullivan to somehow being unAmerican is a stretch to put it mildly.

Enough with the anti-media hatred. It's un-American and shows a lack of understanding what freedom means.

.....nobody meant to insult your husband for just doing his job.....my, my, a bit testy.....

Sorry, you don't keep a GM, because he made some nice trades, drafted some pro bowlers, and signed some nice FA's

You keep him because he puts together a 53 person unit that wins 10 games plus, if not consistently, at least often

Or he has the potential to win 10 games plus consistantly

All the criticism towards DW is because we don't win, cos if we did, or had, none of these threads would exist

Sully would not by writing these kind of negative articles

Again tell me we;'re gonna win 10-11 games this year and I'll say DW is the guy for this team

Sully might too

And I'll stop critiquing DW's dreadful off season dumpster dive moves

But we look like a 7-8 win team again so there;s nothing to celebrate here, except continued mediocirty

For if we looked like a 10-11 team season Sully;s articles would likely be beaming and very positive

And perhaps less drama fueled and more factual

jc

Edited by wilcoam

You do get the irony here don't you?

Sorry, you don't keep a GM, because he made some nice trades, drafted some pro bowlers, and signed some nice FA's

You keep him because he puts together a 53 person unit that wins 10 games plus, if not consistently, at least often

Or he has the potential to win 10 games plus consistantly

All the criticism towards DW is because we don't win, cos if we did, or had, none of these threads would exist

Sully would not by writing these kind of negative articles

Again tell me we;'re gonna win 10-11 games this year and I'll say DW is the guy for this team

Sully might too

And I'll stop critiquing DW's dreadful off season dumpster dive moves

But we look like a 7-8 win team again so there;s nothing to celebrate here, except continued mediocirty

For if we looked like a 10-11 team season Sully;s articles would likely be beaming and very positive

And perhaps less drama fueled and more factual

jc

So they should have kept Wrecks and fired Whaley because he didn't put together a winning 53 man roster? Whaley went out and hired all the Ex-jet coaches and brought in the ex-Jet players AND picked up Taylor, all on his own, because he though Wreck would like that?

Even though Buddy Nix said he would deliver a QB before he stepped down and did so, it falls on Whaley? Even though Nix was still in charge?

Marrone asked for the new owner clause in his contract because Whaley wanted him to have it?

I'm not buying any of it. You realize each new coach wanted players that fit their system and if the new coaches changes that system then that means the last group of players may not fit anymore?

You're proving my point. Does it say Whaley is forcing the coaches to start EJ? Wake up uneducated fan and stop being a sheep.

Your first statement was Whaley brought in Kolb to be the starter. Whaley stated evidence contrary to your statement. So you are incorrect. Doesnt matter what names you resort too. You cant change Whaley's spoken word that is there for everyone to read. I know it doesnt fit your narrative it doesnt make ot less true.

I stopped reading his column about 12 years ago....it became a New England comparison every time. Guess who else doesn't measure up to New England -- 31 other teams. The 22, 23 free agents was basically you had so many guys on one year deals many as injury replacements I'm sure Jerry granted that courtesy. To much about nothing he became GM is 2014 they write and article about the 2013 draft- which stunk league wide. Pick 5 teams out of a hat track their 2013 draft how many are with their club? onesies twosies again I'm sure they didnt mention that I just read the headline and moved on.

To Jerry's credit he rarely writes about hockey because he knows nothing about it. Football he knows a little not enough to form an opinion but that doesnt stop him.

as far as Kolb Whaley has been on record as staing Kolb was brought here to be the starter until the injuries forced EJ in