You are my sunshine, my only sunshine Jerry

Back on topic to the original post - Jerry Sullivan would never survive in a large media market. He is soooo in his comfort zone writing about Buffalo sports teams, because he is never challenged publicly.

Jerry's sole purpose is to generate controversy, and he does this by stirring up the negativity pot. So in a sense, he is good at that. But as a journalist, I think he sucks. He cuts 'n pastes the same negative drivel over & over. I would love to see Pegula hold a news conference and call Sullivan out as being a negative, uniformed hack. I'm not sure Jerry could hold a meaningful job anywhere but here in Buffalo.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know that "doubling down" on him is the correct term. Whaley just isnt a QB focused guy. It seems.

We all saw the shine come off of EJ's luster pretty quickly. Some of us wanted him to be the guy a little more and a little longer than others.

Its impossible to say though, that having EJ on the roster prevented us from taking guys like Carr and Dak. As the rest of the league passed on them too.

I WILL say, though, that Whaley has almost zero acumen when it comes to QB's.

Trading away a first 2 years later takes you out of the QB race, IMO.

I think EJ absolutely cost us Carr. Not even a question. Ragland cost us Dak.

But that's why you can't be afraid of taking multiple QB's IMO. Even if you took one high the year before.

You're proving my point. Does it say Whaley is forcing the coaches to start EJ? Wake up uneducated fan and stop being a sheep.

Your point was "Whaley brought Kolb in to start." Yikes dude. The irony.

Sully: the voice of the miserable! It blows my mind anyone would waste any time of their day reading that nerd.

He was the guy who killed Mario before he had an all pro season. He wanted Dareus cut before he was one of the best DTs in the NFL. Zero accountability of staying he was wrong.

I could write a Sullivan column in 15 minutes. The Bills suck, Pegula suck, fire everyone, and I would have done all the opposite moves they did.

I think its silly for fans to get caught up defending or continually critiquing one or a couple of moves made by DW in his tenure with our Bills

A GM makes so many roster moves, drafts so many players, makes so many trades, just one move, or series of, does not define him

Its the totality off all the moves that counts, which is a matter of record, fact, in terms of wins and losses, on the field

In that regard Sully is bang on

DW has yet to build a 53 person roster that has been successful

However even Sully would make a better point if he stopped wallowing in gossip and was less obsessed about press conferences

His article would bring it home clearer if he just stuck to the facts

That we don't have winning football in Buffalo

That DW has traded too may draft picks, instead of acquiring more

Instead taking comp picks signing too many bit depth players

That he hasn't re-signed enough of our FA draft picks

That he signs and overpays for too many depth dumpster diving players, exception the 2015 off season

That DW is to blame for a serious lack of depth at both QB and WR the last couple seasons

You can then still disagree with Sully

But Sully would be backed by the simple fact of our win0-loss record in comparison to most other more successful NFL teams

I think DW has to go as well

But unlike Sully my reasons are more fact based, way less emotional, and not mired in gossip and innuendo

jc

But that's why you can't be afraid of taking multiple QB's IMO. Even if you took one high the year before.

Hahaha! Fair enough.

I was a huge EJ supporter, and i cringed at that Watkins deal. Hated it. Still do, and always will.

Whaley does suck, killed himself by not getting a real QB in here.

Those trashing Whaley should wear a blindfold over one eye. Then they'd have a right to their narrow focus. The Bills the last two seasons have been Rex Ryan's team. And the Pegula's deserve what they got in hiring. They were the one's blinded by his "I'm great; trust me" interview. Don't blame Whaley for Ryan's misuse of the great defense he inherited, the lack of effort for this "player's coach," the misuse of the likes of Clay and Woods, the penalties, and the injuries. He obviously made mistakes bringing in Richie, McCoy, Darby, Alexander, Graham, Gilleslee, etc. etc.

However even Sully would make a better point if he stopped wallowing in gossip and was less obsessed about press conferences

His article would bring it home clearer if he just stuck to the facts

That we don't have winning football in Buffalo

You can then still disagree with Sully

But Sully would be backed by the simple fact of our win-loss record in comparison to most other more successful NFL teams

I think DW has to go as well

But unlike Sully my reasons are more fact based, way less emotional, and not mired in gossip and innuendo

jc

You are correct, but to my previous post, if the Bills were "good", Sullivan would not have anything meaningful to write about. He is like a vulture preying upon dead carcasses. I have rarely seen him write a commentary piece that was positive, insightful, and left the reader feeling well informed and "good" about what they read.

You are correct, but to my previous post, if the Bills were "good", Sullivan would not have anything meaningful to write about. He is like a vulture preying upon dead carcasses. I have rarely seen him write a commentary piece that was positive, insightful, and left the reader feeling well informed and "good" about what they read.

I was really young during the SB years but I recall hearing Sully was still quite a hater still.

Some people are just miserable and can't hide it.

Nix was GM for the 2013 draft

Wasn't Nix GM in-name-only, and Whaley running the draft at that point? Honest question...I remember hearing that somewhere.

Regardless...while it was a pretty good draft, not having any of those players left on the team is still telling against Whaley's ability as a GM: he couldn't hold on to any of the productive players from it, no matter who drafted them. But again, I'd point out that it's a failing not entirely of his creation, given that he's now trying to build a roster for his third different coach, so has no real consistency as to what player talent his coaches expect him to be collecting. And again...that's been the theme for the past 17 years. Buffalo's basically the league's farm team.

Your point was "Whaley brought Kolb in to start." Yikes dude. The irony.

Neither Carr nor Dak were going to succeed here.

The problem isn't that the Bills draft bad QBs. The problem is that the Bills eat QBs - good or bad - and spit out train wrecks.

Wasn't Nix GM in-name-only, and Whaley running the draft at that point? Honest question...I remember hearing that somewhere.

Regardless...while it was a pretty good draft, not having any of those players left on the team is still telling against Whaley's ability as a GM: he couldn't hold on to any of the productive players from it, no matter who drafted them. But again, I'd point out that it's a failing not entirely of his creation, given that he's now trying to build a roster for his third different coach, so has no real consistency as to what player talent his coaches expect him to be collecting. And again...that's been the theme for the past 17 years. Buffalo's basically the league's farm team.

My general theme is that people should be held accountable for their own decisions. I think a fair criticism of Whaley is that he needs to set a philosophy of what the Bills should be.

The problem isn't that the Bills draft bad QBs. The problem is that the Bills eat QBs - good or bad - and spit out train wrecks.

It amazing how many people overlook this. The only reason Taylor isn't a complete failure is because we didn't draft and develop him.

That's crap. It's been said about Oakland for years too. They destroyed a couple rookies, and almost ended Carson Palmer's career. And still Carr beat that death trap.

My general theme is that people should be held accountable for their own decisions. I think a fair criticism of Whaley is that he needs to set a philosophy of what the Bills should be.

I completely agree...but it's likewise unfair to ignore the simple fact that he has to work within a context not entirely under his control. He contributes to the dysfunction, but he's not solely responsible for it.

This is an argument that is commonly asserted here ("_______________ [insert name of wildly successful player, such as Odell Beckham, Russell Wilson, etc] would have sucked in Buffalo"), and it's always made without a scrap of evidence to support it. So please enlighten us: Which quarterbacks that were drafted or acquired by the Bills would have succeeded elsewhere? For that matter, name a quarterback who succeeded elsewhere after being traded or jettisoned by the Bills?

Edited by mannc

I completely agree...but it's likewise unfair to ignore the simple fact that he has to work within a context not entirely under his control. He contributes to the dysfunction, but he's not solely responsible for it.

I've said elsewhere Whaley is to me an old fashioned company guy. Does what the owner or HC wants and doesn't argue. To me a GM should be more assertive.

Those trashing Whaley should wear a blindfold over one eye. Then they'd have a right to their narrow focus. The Bills the last two seasons have been Rex Ryan's team. And the Pegula's deserve what they got in hiring. They were the one's blinded by his "I'm great; trust me" interview. Don't blame Whaley for Ryan's misuse of the great defense he inherited, the lack of effort for this "player's coach," the misuse of the likes of Clay and Woods, the penalties, and the injuries. He obviously made mistakes bringing in Richie, McCoy, Darby, Alexander, Graham, Gilleslee, etc. etc.

If Whaley had any sack he would have never let blowhard Rex gut the roster he built.

It takes a GM like Polian or Butler to succeed here. A GM that would practically physically fight the owner for full control of football operations. Not a "yes sir, whatever you say sir" kind of guy like Whaley.

Doug Whaley is a fine pro scout. He's done some amazing work with free agents and trades.

Unfortunately, it's the rest of the GM job he hasn't been good at.

It would be such a Buffalo move to get rid of him. Let him train on the job and watch him go to another team and be really good.

Under Whaley's watch, we have had a top 5 defense and a top 10 scoring offense with a very flawed qb. Clearly, Whaley sucks.

That's crap. It's been said about Oakland for years too. They destroyed a couple rookies, and almost ended Carson Palmer's career. And still Carr beat that death trap.

And the Raiders (2 HC, 2 QB coaches, 3 OCs) have been a paragon of stability since Al Davis croaked, compared to the Bills (3 HC, 4 QB coaches, 5 OCs in that time, approx. 20% roster turnover each season).

This is an argument that is commonly asserted here ("_______________ [insert name of wildly successful player, such as Odell Beckham, Russell Wilson, etc] would have sucked in Buffalo"), and it's always made without a scrap of evidence to support it. So please enlighten us: Which quarterbacks that were drafted or acquired by the Bills would have succeeded elsewhere? For that matter, name a quarterback who succeeded elsewhere after being traded or jettisoned by the Bills?

Conversely, name the last QB the Bills successfully developed.

(It was Joe Ferguson.)