London "Terrorist Attack"

Honest question, how do you stop it?

There is a major difference between what is happening in places such as Nigeria (terrorist attack yesterday) which is organized terror and lone wolf attacks from terrorist sympathizers.

Also, how do you pinpoint a would be attacker? This guy was British born as opposed to someone who came in as a refugee or immigrant.

This is the crux of the issue. I see many similarities between this and the gun control debate. People want control over everything. A bunch of people get killed and someone or something has to be to blame... so we have to crack down on guns, or on immigration, or whatever it is. The world is much safer today than it ever was in history. Violent deaths happen at a lower rate than ever before. So I personally think humanity will keep that up without resorting to extreme measures. I believe we can live in a free society without submitting to our fears.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the crux of the issue. I see many similarities between this and the gun control debate. People want control over everything. A bunch of people get killed and someone or something has to be to blame... so we have to crack down on guns, or on immigration, or whatever it is. The world is much safer today than it ever was in history. Violent deaths happen at a lower rate than ever before. So I personally think humanity will keep that up without resorting to extreme measures. I believe we can live in a free society without submitting to our fears.

You know when you'll submit to your fears?

When your head is rolling down a flight of stairs, that's when.

You know when you'll submit to your fears?

When your head is rolling down a flight of stairs, that's when.

Sure, thanks for the warning. I don't have any fear of that happening to me in America. Might as well ban all public contact while we're at it.

Sure, thanks for the warning. I don't have any fear of that happening to me in America. Might as well ban all public contact while we're at it.

It's the risk we take daily.

The question is when it becomes a matter such that privacy and "happy time" rights are to be curtailed, which have occurred a few times in North American history.

Practically Martial Law was declared in Quebec in the early 1970s due to cells kidnapping and bombing frequently.

It's the risk we take daily.

The question is when it becomes a matter such that privacy and "happy time" rights are to be curtailed, which have occurred a few times in North American history.

Practically Martial Law was declared in Quebec in the early 1970s due to cells kidnapping and bombing frequently.

Not the same at all. In Quebec it was a group of people, it wasn't lone inspired terrorists.

Honest question, how do you stop it?

There is a major difference between what is happening in places such as Nigeria (terrorist attack yesterday) which is organized terror and lone wolf attacks from terrorist sympathizers.

Also, how do you pinpoint a would be attacker? This guy was British born as opposed to someone who came in as a refugee or immigrant.

Honest answer - I don't know. I don't believe in adopting xenophobic policies, but it sure looks like a good portion of terror attacks in the west originate in neighborhoods where the people are not assimilating or otherwise integrating into the local culture. As far as I understand radical Islam (which I honestly do not understand at all), putting them to death for killing innocents won't deter them since they believe they will attain martyrdom. The only thing I can think of at this point is to consider imposing a moratorium on immigration and acceptance of refugees until a greater degree of assimilation and integration can be attained.

It's definitely going to take a greater mind than mine to solve a problem like this.

But gun ownership is a constitutional liberty and immigration is not. Violent death might be lowest now than ever before, but that's no reason to accept innocent people being murdered - there's no acceptable amount of killing as far as I'm concerned.

Honest answer - I don't know. I don't believe in adopting xenophobic policies, but it sure looks like a good portion of terror attacks in the west originate in neighborhoods where the people are not assimilating or otherwise integrating into the local culture. As far as I understand radical Islam (which I honestly do not understand at all), putting them to death for killing innocents won't deter them since they believe they will attain martyrdom. The only thing I can think of at this point is to consider imposing a moratorium on immigration and acceptance of refugees until a greater degree of assimilation and integration can be attained.

It actually seems to be the children of immigrants rather than the immigrants themselves.

In that case, it's probably too late.

It's definitely going to take a greater mind than mine to solve a problem like this.

Tiberius?

Not the same at all. In Quebec it was a group of people, it wasn't lone inspired terrorists.

CNN has trumpted the "lone wolf" excuse to try to downplay everything, it's a "yeah....but" argument...

The US was plagued with almost daily bombings by protest groups during the Vietnam Era, sometimes lone wolves, sometimes 3 or 4 people, sometimes ALLEGEDLY aided and abetted by intelligence infiltrators.

If we were importing tens of thousands of people from a place where Nazi style white supremacy was the dominant culture would you be cool with it?

CNN has trumpted the "lone wolf" excuse to try to downplay everything, it's a "yeah....but" argument...

The US was plagued with almost daily bombings by protest groups during the Vietnam Era, sometimes lone wolves, sometimes 3 or 4 people, sometimes ALLEGEDLY aided and abetted by intelligence infiltrators.

Remember when they painted Dylan Roof as a lone wolf?

Me neither.

If we were importing tens of thousands of people from a place where Nazi style white supremacy was the dominant culture would you be cool with it?

the rich and the usefully talented are always welcome in the Free World

Remember when they painted Dylan Roof as a lone wolf?

Me neither.

They always want it to be a white person.

Then they want it to be someone not tied to a religion that they go out of their way to defend

Then they say it was a lone wolf.

I don't usually venture onto this part of the board but I will today because I have something to add.

My office is across the road from where this took place, right opposite Big Ben on the bottom corner of Whitehall.

Yesterday was a pretty horrible occurance, watching helplessly through a window as the chaos unfolded. I cross that road into Parliament on a regular basis. I speak to those Police Officers on that gate. I walk across that yard and I understand that as someone who works close to the centre of Government that I and my colleagues might be targets for those who wish to spread division and hate. Yesterday was a tragedy for those who lost their lives and those who believe in our democracy.

London is the greatest city in the world. It is a beacon of tolerance, diversity and respect. It is a city where yes - the Muslim son of a bus driver - can become our Mayor and to those who wish to use yesterday to try and rip the fabric of this great city apart - shame on you. It is sick, disrespectful and wrong.

London woke up this morning and, just as we did on the 8th July 2005, we went to work. Only be standing up for the values of the city we love do we combat this evil.

As the Prime Minister said so poigniantly this morning - We are not afraid. Our resolve will never waiver.

The solution?

Get these kids jobs or at least the chance to obtain one.

Bring back the factory jobs, they are vital to the economy.

Looks like this admin is going to try to do it, can't see the current POTUS smirk and tell his audience "I can't just wave a magic wand and brings the jobs back."

Not going to be pretty with a second and third generation of immigrants (all legal and decent folk are most welcome) with absolutely no hope of getting gainful employment...

Edited by row_33

3 pages of thread. Not one expression of remorse or serious post about what happened. What a cesspool.

Sad day for the UK. Be strong allies.

Well if it makes you feel better there is a suspicion that it's all a show. No one dies. Staged events so there can be "Order out of chaos". Who knows anything is possible. Hell we had a lazy Saul Alinsky fanboy in power for eight years and then they tried to run a gangster for prez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS0CP3lXrmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UDTCLhen8