Find me a versatile Corner in the draft

He is my #2 CB, I love Lattimore. I think Humphrey is a top 15 player and I would be fine with him at #10.

I find defensive backs difficult to evaluate. Partly due to broadcast angles, partly because I'm not coverage-savvy enough to 'know' the calls. Best guess stuff.

Literally took me 3 plays to fall for Lattimore. The length, the feet, the ball skills. Jaw-dropping stuff.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find defensive backs difficult to evaluate. Partly due to broadcast angles, partly because I'm not coverage-savvy enough to 'know' the calls. Best guess stuff.

Literally took me 3 plays to fall for Lattimore. The length, the feet, the ball skills. Jaw-dropping stuff.

Yep - agreed on the angles. Where are you on Conley Blokes? I see a 2nd round corner who had great combine numbers. He was my #7 corner before the combine (I've only moved him up tentatively to #6 on the basis that Jones might miss his whole rookie year) and I can't see him as an option at 10.

Edited by GunnerBill

If were talking versatile CB I think it has to start with Adoree Jackson from USC right? He won the Paul Hornung award for the nations most versatile player, I think he's played every position on that team.... WR (39 rec, 628 YDS, 6 TD- career since 2014), RB (15 carries, 92 YDS, 6.1 YPC AVG- career), PR/KR (79 KR, 2141 YDS, 27.1 AVG, 4 TD) (46 PR, 578 YDS, 12.6 AVG, 4 TD) and then you get to the defensive side , he had 55 total tackles, 2 TFL, 5 INT this season on defense. If still around in round 2 he would be the exact player that McDermott is talking about, he ran a 4.42 - 40 at the combine, great football AWR and has been said that he loves the game, can't really get more versatile than this guy if you ask me.

Yep - agreed on the angles. Where are you on Conley Blokes? I see a 2nd round corner who had great combine numbers. He was my #7 corner before the combine (I've only moved him up tentatively to #6 on the basis that Jones might miss his whole rookie year) and I can't see him as an option at 10.

He didn't fall on my to-do list so I've only watched enough to get a baseline. I'd agree with the 2nd round grade from what I've seen. He's one of about 6-7 corners that wouldn't surprise me if they went top 32 but I didn't see him as a special player. Testing numbers tend to see pundits overcorrect initially so his stock should settle back down before the draft starts.

Strikes me as a bit of a speculative pick. You hope that you can iron out some of his processing issues with more experience and coaching. Frame & AA works for me, has the ball skills too. Not entirely sure he's a Bills fit though, prefer him playing press-man and letting him tie someone up rather than play in space and pass off route combos.

Find me a versatile soccer style kicker in the draft. You should do that one next.

I have no accrued years in the NFL. Pay me UDFA minimum salary and I'll do it.

Who is your favorite Corner in the draft that fits the versatile McD system?

How about this guy:

WEAKNESSES

Susceptible to inside releases, with feet stuttering before transitioning to close distance on loose receiver. Must learn to play without so much grabbing downfield. Needs improvement with back to ball. Anxious to stay on top of route from press and opens door for comebacks underneath. Will occasionally lose track of his man in scramble situations. Not a hitter. Scouts question his toughness. Will get muscled by bigger receivers. Ducks head as tackler and prefers to hit with helmet over wrapping up against running backs. Will lose interceptions to his below-average hands.

Call me silly, but I'm attracted to a guy who can't swat down more balls than he gives up in completions, lol

I'm not worried if he can also play safety

Or if he fits better in the slot or on the outside

I think that's the code word when you bring in marginal talent, he fits our scheme

When you are a friggin first or second draft picks, you should have immense talent to do it all

That's my future cornerback

jc

If were talking versatile CB I think it has to start with Adoree Jackson from USC right? He won the Paul Hornung award for the nations most versatile player, I think he's played every position on that team.... WR (39 rec, 628 YDS, 6 TD- career since 2014), RB (15 carries, 92 YDS, 6.1 YPC AVG- career), PR/KR (79 KR, 2141 YDS, 27.1 AVG, 4 TD) (46 PR, 578 YDS, 12.6 AVG, 4 TD) and then you get to the defensive side , he had 55 total tackles, 2 TFL, 5 INT this season on defense. If still around in round 2 he would be the exact player that McDermott is talking about, he ran a 4.42 - 40 at the combine, great football AWR and has been said that he loves the game, can't really get more versatile than this guy if you ask me.

And he's the NCAA champion long-jumper!

Moreau is the perfect fit for this defense, and as a height/speed guy, is exactly what Whaley looks for in his prospects.

If he's on the board in round 2, I'll be shocked if he's not the pick.

Given what they run coverage wise defensively at UCLA, I could not agree more with this assessement, fits the Bills D very well.

I think the Bills are more likely than not to go corner in round 2, and if Moreau is there he's the pick, if....

Start with tall corners with length, primarily zone corners. I like Wilson, Humphrey, Douglas, Hairston (bc of skillset, competitive toughness), Witherspoon. Moreau imo isn't a fit. Mirror corner, isn't that good with his hands panics down the field.

Bro, I am with you on Humphrey he is getting NO love. He is sooooo refined and coached so damn well in big game situations, his only issues are 50/50 balls. Exploited in the Championship game but man even those plays he was swiping at the ball on the way down as Williams caught them.

Start with tall corners with length, primarily zone corners. I like Wilson, Humphrey, Douglas, Hairston (bc of skillset, competitive toughness), Witherspoon. Moreau imo isn't a fit. Mirror corner, isn't that good with his hands panics down the field.

A Kevin King type IMO, though as I've said I don't like King as much as I want to...

You gave me life, you gave me milk, you gave me courage.

Your name was Angela, the angel from heaven.

But you were also an angel of God, and He needed you, too.

Selfishly, I tried to keep you here, while the cancer ate away your organs, like an unstoppable rebel force, but I couldn't save you, and I shall see your face nevermore, nevermore, nevermore.

Until we meet in Heaven.

we just dont get enough meet the parents references around here

Adoree' Jackson just to hear Murph pronounce it

Hope he is there in the 2nd, love the way he plays, he will be our No. 1 CB by his 2nd year. He can play CB 2 or the slot now and he can contribute in special teams now as well.

Moreau imo isn't a fit. Mirror corner, isn't that good with his hands panics down the field.

I would disagree that Moreau isnt a fit. While I do think he is a good man press/bump'n run type mirroring corner, he made plays in zone throughout the season. A game that illustrates this IMO is vs. USC and "2018 #1 pick S. Darnold", he picks Darnold off out of what looks like a Tampa 2 zone, and there are a couple other times in that particular game where Darnold looks Moreau's way in zone coverage, but Moreau has his guy covered and Darnold throws the ball away.

I do agree that he panics and gets grabby (most of the CB's coming out do) down the field and would say he needs to work on getting his head around and reacting quicker in general down the field when in man.

I would disagree that Moreau isnt a fit. While I do think he is a good man press/bump'n run type mirroring corner, he made plays in zone throughout the season. A game that illustrates this IMO is vs. USC and "2018 #1 pick S. Darnold", he picks Darnold off out of what looks like a Tampa 2 zone, and there are a couple other times in that particular game where Darnold looks Moreau's way in zone coverage, but Moreau has his guy covered and Darnold throws the ball away.

I do agree that he panics and gets grabby (most of the CB's coming out do) down the field and would say he needs to work on getting his head around and reacting quicker in general down the field when in man.

By mirror corner I mean he is good in tight man coverage, not necessarily press coverage that's where I don't like him. He fails to disrupt WRs at the LOS with leverage and or his hands. He can swing his hips open with the best of them. I have him graded as an 86 overall so a 1st-early second round pick and great value but I don't think he fits the McDermott type cornerback. With his size and athleticism he should be handling WRs at the line of scrimmage, you would like to see more tenacity and competitive toughness at the LOS knowing that he has the closing speed. He likes to 'catch' WRs not press them at the LOS. His strikes are late, and when he does attempt to strike the placement is bad. That very same USC game where he got an INT, he was beaten deep for a TD by Ju ju a savy 4.54 guy https://streamable.com/9ees7and another he was beaten inside on a slant for the TD.

I counted 6 plays zone defensive passing plays in that USC game, 1 INT, 2 plays of which he squatted and took away the RB who was the third option after Darnold scanned all the away across the field and the rest he didn't make a difference.

What do I like about him? Fluidity, tackling in run support and ball skills. Not saying Mcdermott wouldnt love him but based on Mcd's history of drafting CBs, the type of CBs he has drafted and traits he looks for I don't see Moreau fitting that paradigm. But if we could land him in the second round I am all for it. The earliest Mcd took a corner was last year, in the second round (Bradberry) and they took Worley and Sanchez later. He doesn't usually take CBs early. Maybe Moreau fits what he wants to do in Buffalo, I just would like to see more tenacity out of Moreau.

Check out two of the CBs he drafted last year vs Moreau..Moreau has shorter arms. The arm length is a big deal in zone defenses especially cover 3, when offenses want to attack cover 3 its typically w verticals and with long DBs the QB has to have really good arc and trajectory over the top of these long corners. Long DBs are able to close windows.. https://streamable.com/4lguj

Edited by cover1

Rasul Douglas http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/rasul-douglas?id=2558168

NFL Comparison

Daryl Worley

Douglas has rare size for the position and his 2016 interception total will add to the level of intrigue for NFL teams. There is no doubting Douglas' ability to make plays on the ball when he's in position, but his lack of long speed and closing burst could make his big senior season an anomaly. Douglas is a zone corner with press and trail ability but needs to run a reasonable time at the combine to solidify his draft slotting.

Douglas ran a faster time than Worley(4.59 vs 4.64) who was a 3rd Round pick last year (#77 overall) and started 11 games last year for Carolina Panthers (see scheme fit). So if we wait on CB we could likely get this kid with our 3rd Rounder this year (#75 overall).

Edited by The Jokeman