Tyrod Taylor's Highlights

cover1

It all makes sense dude. Rather than take more money elsewhere, TT is betting on himself, risking career ending injuries and $10M, to play with the Bills, so he can renegotiate back to the money that Cleveland would've paid him.

You don't pass up the opportunity to continue handing the ball off to Shady.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the logical answer is Dennison worked Tyrod. Which is fine.

Told him he could get the best out of him as he knows him well. And if that works out? TT will get paid. I think Taylor is a humble Man who wants to do his best. I also thinks he feels he can do better. If i am that athlete ? I want to win and i want all the help I can get.

This is an opportunity not a compromise

Who is pretending that?

I think Whaley always wanted to keep Tyrod, just not at his previous price tag.

You used to argue constantly on BBMB that not only would several teams be interested in Tyrod if he were cut but he would make more money in the process. That was clearly not the case.

Plenty of people in this very thread are "pretending that."

And I just directed you to a report that at least 3 teams were interested in Taylor. We don't know what they would have paid him for sure, but I don't think it's remotely unreasonable to say that Cleveland would have been willing to fork out at least a little more money than they're going to pay Osweiler.

Sooo.... $17-$18 million per year, but in Cleveland...

Not "clearly the case" at all...

the logical answer is Dennison worked Tyrod. Which is fine.

Told him he could get the best out of him as he knows him well. And if that works out? TT will get paid. I think Taylor is a humble Man who wants to do his best. I also thinks he feels he can do better. If i am that athlete ? I want to win and i want all the help I can get.

This is an opportunity not a compromise

Myself personally, it appears the organization was determined to keep plans of T T's future a question mark for posturing purposes while constructing a coaching staff and system Taylor made for Tyrod's success.

Which to me 3rd does fit into what your suggesting.

He's getting paid the same thing, or a bit more, than he was going to get paid under the old contract. That's not a pay cut.

What he gave up was guaranteed money for 2019. He did that because he was willing to bet, quite reasonably, I think, that absent injury he always will be able to get a one-year $15 million deal in 2019. Why? Well, if he gets beaten up by a real star in Buffalo, he'll be in demand as an average starter when he becomes a free agent in 2019. And if he becomes a star in Buffalo, he'll be worth a LOT more than his old contract would have given him. LIke $50 million more. Only downside to his current deal is if he falls apart completely and no one wants him in 2019. Even then, he's probably always worth $3 million.

Look at Fitzpatrick. He's averaged about $5 million a year for nearly 10 years. Josh McCown got a three year $14 million deal from the Browns. He got $6 million from the Jets for a year.

I don't think Tyrod was worried about making some money in 2019.

I agree with much of what you said, but, unless I am overlooking something, he did take a pay cut. Tyrod was guaranteed (and due to make) $27.5M in 2017, if the Bills picked the option on his old deal. And now he is only guaranteed $15.5M.

Also, Tyrod scheduled to make must over $40M total by 2018 on his old deal, and now will make $30M if he is here for both years of his contract the way it is currently written.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/8/16/12505676/full-tyrod-taylor-annual-contract-breakdowns

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Edited by BillsFan4

Plenty of people in this very thread are "pretending that."

And I just directed you to a report that at least 3 teams were interested in Taylor. We don't know what they would have paid him for sure, but I don't think it's remotely unreasonable to say that Cleveland would have been willing to fork out at least a little more money than they're going to pay Osweiler.

Sooo.... $17-$18 million per year, but in Cleveland...

Not "clearly the case" at all...

The 2nd round pick Cleveland got was the main factor in that whole deal. They basically bought a draft pick with their extra cap space.

... So I guess 2 questions come out of this:

1) Who honestly thinks that Tyrod Taylor is valued less than Brock Osweiler by any NFL team at this point?...

2) Based on the amount of money Cleveland is now willing to pay Brock Osweiler, why does anyone think they would have paid Taylor any less than they're going to be paying Osweiler? ...

well, this is Cleveland we're talkin' about, right? Edited by Foxx

Myself personally, it appears the organization was determined to keep plans of T T's future a question mark for posturing purposes while constructing a coaching staff and system Taylor made for Tyrod's success.

Which to me 3rd does fit into what your suggesting.

Nice word play Figster !!

The posturing worked IMO. I really had no idea where they were going at QB.

Giving Taylor the help he needs allows Bills a year to see what his ceiling likely is while still looking for his possible replacement

link?

That's what he's talking about, and while you can't prove absolutely and without a doubt anything much about why people do things ... that's why he's here.

Because he took a major pay cut. He might have gotten more elsewhere but he was convinced the Bills weren't going to keep him without the pay cut. And he was right.

You keep trying to compare Tyrod to Osweiler. And you're right that they were probably thinking of Osweiler when they forced Tyrod to take that pay cut., Os got an absolutely horrible contract for the team, so much so Texas did an NBA-style trade to get rid of his contract. Osweiler is indeed a classic poster boy for why you don't pay franchise money to guys who aren't franchise. He was indeed probably a factor here.

Edited by Thurman#1

Selective plays and not the whole picture... ?

I'm sorry, what are the "your facts" that you're talking about?

And direct me to any reports before FA or before Taylor renegotiated that lend credence to your argument, please.

Taylor was going to be released if he didn't renegotiate. FACT.

What made Taylor stay in Buffalo for less money?

Loyalty? There is very little loyalty in the NFL.

A chance to be the starter? He could have been that for 2 or 3 other teams.

Do you honestly think Cleveland would have paid Taylor less than Osweiler?

They didn't negotiate Osweiler's contract. They are paying him because they got a second rounder.

Details though.

It all makes sense dude. Rather than take more money elsewhere, TT is betting on himself, risking career ending injuries and $10M, to play with the Bills, so he can renegotiate back to the money that Cleveland would've paid him.

Edited by FireChan

He wasnt set to be a free agent how hard is that for you to understand?

Two-day period where teams are allowed to begin negotiations with soon-to-be unrestricted free agents.

His previous contract was 2016-2021.

He was if he didn't agree to a restructure furthering his bridge deal.

Expected to be released if he didn't restructure. Deal with that.

More fact than opinion I'd say.

Are you really going to tell me that teams don't tamper anyway? Are you really going to tell me that TT and or his agent had no idea his value on the market?

I think that is what he's saying.

The only explanation is that Tyrod loves Buffalo sooooooooooooo much.

Who wouldn't be insanely loyal to a team that says "take a pay cut or we'll cut you"? :lol:

exactly.

well, this is Cleveland we're talkin' about, right?

Fox Sports · 1 day ago

The Cleveland Browns were believed to be cutting quarterback Brock Osweiler after trading for him, but could he wind up starting?

Oh those Cleveland Browns.

He was if he didn't agree to a restructure furthering his bridge deal.

Expected to be released if he didn't restructure. Deal with that.

No. If he didn't restructure, he was still under contract with the Bills. What anyone expected doesn't matter; when he's under contract, unless the contract is expiring, it is strictly against the rules for any other team to talk to him about his future. Teams get penalized doing it.

No. If he didn't restructure, he was still under contract with the Bills. What anyone expected doesn't matter; when he's under contract, unless the contract is expiring, it is strictly against the rules for any other team to talk to him about his future. Teams get penalized doing it.

Shaw,

I think it's really naive (no offense) to think teams don't tamper. Before the NFL installed the legal 3 day tampering window a few years ago....how were players being signed at 12:01 am on the first day of free agency? It's not possible to write up and agree to terms for a contract in one minute.

I agree with much of what you said, but, unless I am overlooking something, he did take a pay cut. Tyrod was guaranteed (and due to make) $27.5M in 2017, if the Bills picked the option on his old deal. And now he is only guaranteed $15.5M.

Also, Tyrod scheduled to make must over $40M total by 2018 on his old deal, and now will make $30M if he is here for both years of his contract the way it is currently written.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/8/16/12505676/full-tyrod-taylor-annual-contract-breakdowns

I think you're right, but we're saying the same thing. I'm not worried so much about what year he gets paid; I'm looking at his total compensation that he was guaranteed. I believe he was guaranteed about $40 million if the Bills didn't cut him by the March deadline this year. That $40 million was going to get paid over the next three seasons. (Again, I'm not sure, but I think that's about right.)

Now he's got $15 million guaranteed, this season. If the Bills keep him for 2018, he gets another $15 million. Then he's a free man.

So what did he give up? In terms of guaranteed money, I think he gave up about $25 million. That is, if he'd said no to a restructure and the Bills had kept him (which I believe they would have), he would have had $25 million more guaranteed, and he would have been under contract through the 2021 season, earning about $15 million a year.

What did he get in exchange? Well, there's a very high likelihood the Bills would under any circumstances keep him for 2018 (cutting him would create a lot of dead cap money, so even if the Bills somehow had come up with the second coming of Peyton Manning in his prime, they still would keep Tyrod as the backup because they get no benefit cutting him). So Tyrod has a virtual guarantee on another $15 million. Career-ending injury is his only real risk there.

So that means Tyrod is down "only" $10 million for the 2019 season; that is, I think his new deal means he "gave back" about $10 million in exchange for his ability to test the free agency market again in 2019. What I'm saying is that's a pretty good bet on his side, because unless his career really blows up in the next two seasons (and he certainly doesn't believe that will happen), he's going to get at least $10 million from someone in 2019. He'll be 30 years old, prime age for a QB. That's even under the second-coming-of-Peyton scenario, because under that scenario the league will view him as a starter who was beaten out by a Hall of Famer; he won't be damaged goods. If under the more realistic scenario, if for two seasons he's a starter hanging in or around the top 10 QBs, he'll get more than $20 million a year on a five or six year deal (remember, the salary cap is still rising), which will be a huge raise for him over what he would have made under his old deal. If he's a starter hanging in or around the top 20 QBs, he'll get a deal worth $10 million or more for a few years, which is what his old deal was worth. Why? Because if he's a starter around the top 20, he'd be a real improvement for a half dozen teams whose current experiment at QB is failing and who need a QB to start now while they look for the next savior. Fitzpatrick and McCown have been worth $5 million a year getting hired into exactly that situation, and Taylor has played better than both.

So the new deal is bad for Tyrod only if his career blows up on him, because of a really big on-field deterioration or a major off-field screw up of Vick-like or Rice-like proportions. Taylor has confidence in himself, so he was willing to take that bet.

In other words, Taylor took a pay cut because he doesn't believe there's a real chance that he actually will end up any less money than his old contract guaranteed him, and in exchange he got the freedom to make a lot more money if, as he believes will happen, he takes the Bills to the playoffs once or twice in the next two seasons.

Shaw,

I think it's really naive (no offense) to think teams don't tamper. Before the NFL installed the legal 3 day tampering window a few years ago....how were players being signed at 12:01 am on the first day of free agency? It's not possible to write up and agree to terms for a contract in one minute.

Teef - That's exactly why they installed the three-day rule. They knew teams were cheating, and it was reasonable to cheat. But the rule was written to allow the early discussions only if the player's contract is expiring.

For a guy who's contract is expiring, his team has the EXCLUSIVE right to negotiate with him. That's the single benefit that survives from the old days when there was no free agency. It's exclusive. But everyone realized that if by the last two or three days of the guy's old contract he and the team hadn't agreed to a new deal, then there probably WOULDN'T be a deal. Plus, the players were saying "how can I know whether what my old team is offering is in the market if I can't talk to some other teams who are interested."

So the NFL legalized the "cheating," but only if the guy's contract was expiring. It doesn't apply when a team is talking to one of its players about renegotiating. There are NO informal permissible informal conversations between the Chiefs, say, and Sammy Watkins just because the Bills and Sammy may be talking about an extension. Absolutely can't do it. So, as someone pointed a few pages back, here's what happened to the Chiefs for talking to Jeremy Maclin early: "Kansas City will forfeit its third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and its sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and pay a fine of $250,000. In addition, Head Coach Andy Reid has been fined $75,000 and General Manager John Dorsey has been fined $25,000." In 2015, Woody Johnson said about Revis I’d love for Darrelle to come back” when he was still under contract with the Patriots. Jets got fined $100,000 just for saying that. No negotiations, no contract discussion, no nothing. Just a public statement.

The NFL takes it seriously. So I think what's naive is to think that some team is going to say to Taylor on the QT "we'll give you $18 million a year for four years, guaranteed," knowing that statement like that could cost them multiple draft picks and some serious money. Especially when they look at how Taylor has produced over the past two years and can see that it would be near lunacy for the Bills to let him go. Why take that risk. The conversations that happened almost certainly went like this: "Hi agent. Thanks for the call. Tyrod's not a free agent, so we can't talk right now. I won't put any kind of number out there. If your man becomes a free agent, we definitely would be interested - please don't sign anywhere without giving us a call. What? No, I won't speculate about a range, or anything like that. You should know, because if we do that it could cost you your license to represent players. Thanks for understanding."

Teef - That's exactly why they installed the three-day rule. They knew teams were cheating, and it was reasonable to cheat. But the rule was written to allow the early discussions only if the player's contract is expiring.

For a guy who's contract is expiring, his team has the EXCLUSIVE right to negotiate with him. That's the single benefit that survives from the old days when there was no free agency. It's exclusive. But everyone realized that if by the last two or three days of the guy's old contract he and the team hadn't agreed to a new deal, then there probably WOULDN'T be a deal. Plus, the players were saying "how can I know whether what my old team is offering is in the market if I can't talk to some other teams who are interested."

So the NFL legalized the "cheating," but only if the guy's contract was expiring. It doesn't apply when a team is talking to one of its players about renegotiating. There are NO informal permissible informal conversations between the Chiefs, say, and Sammy Watkins just because the Bills and Sammy may be talking about an extension. Absolutely can't do it. So, as someone pointed a few pages back, here's what happened to the Chiefs for talking to Jeremy Maclin early: "Kansas City will forfeit its third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and its sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and pay a fine of $250,000. In addition, Head Coach Andy Reid has been fined $75,000 and General Manager John Dorsey has been fined $25,000." In 2015, Woody Johnson said about Revis Id love for Darrelle to come back when he was still under contract with the Patriots. Jets got fined $100,000 just for saying that. No negotiations, no contract discussion, no nothing. Just a public statement.

The NFL takes it seriously. So I think what's naive is to think that some team is going to say to Taylor on the QT "we'll give you $18 million a year for four years, guaranteed," knowing that statement like that could cost them multiple draft picks and some serious money. Especially when they look at how Taylor has produced over the past two years and can see that it would be near lunacy for the Bills to let him go. Why take that risk. The conversations that happened almost certainly went like this: "Hi agent. Thanks for the call. Tyrod's not a free agent, so we can't talk right now. I won't put any kind of number out there. If your man becomes a free agent, we definitely would be interested - please don't sign anywhere without giving us a call. What? No, I won't speculate about a range, or anything like that. You should know, because if we do that it could cost you your license to represent players. Thanks for understanding."

So how did all these same agents agree to deals before the legal tampering period was instituted? Clearly they were all willing to work behind the scenes and defy the NFL's tampering rule to construct the contracts that we would so often see signed just after FA opened.

Sure Taylor was under contract so that is different, but to imply that agents wouldn't break any rules and negotiate behind the scenes is very misleading. It was being done so frequently and made so obvious that the league had to create a new "legal tampering" window.

So the NFL legalized the "cheating," but only if the guy's contract was expiring. It doesn't apply when a team is talking to one of its players about renegotiating. There are NO informal permissible informal conversations between the Chiefs, say, and Sammy Watkins just because the Bills and Sammy may be talking about an extension. Absolutely can't do it. So, as someone pointed a few pages back, here's what happened to the Chiefs for talking to Jeremy Maclin early: "Kansas City will forfeit its third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and its sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and pay a fine of $250,000. In addition, Head Coach Andy Reid has been fined $75,000 and General Manager John Dorsey has been fined $25,000." In 2015, Woody Johnson said about Revis I’d love for Darrelle to come back” when he was still under contract with the Patriots. Jets got fined $100,000 just for saying that. No negotiations, no contract discussion, no nothing. Just a public statement.

Teams got punished. That must mean it doesn't happen....

You know agents work for multiple players and talk to teams all the time, right? The Jets don't have to call Tyrod through the Bills FO to plant some seeds.