Irony of Cockrell

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude this is how the NFL works. As if the Bills haven't picked up guys off of other (successful) teams' scrap heaps that end up being good for us multiple times throughout the drought. Just off the top of my head, we picked up Kraig Urbik off the Steelers' scrap heap. It happens all over the league, all the time.

There was no excuse to not make a home for him in the secondary.

He was an ascending player and looked good at the end of Schwartz time.

This. I liked the Cockrell pick when we made it (even if you would rather have had Bryant Badol ;-) ) and he played well in a bit of spot duty at the end of the Schwartz year.

Rex has to carry the can for this one. He preferred Mario Butler. I have no doubt Rex was the driving force in Cockrell's release.

Whether it was Whaley's or Rex's (whoever had control of the roster), it was a gigantic organizational failure. Which is ironic when we're desperate for a CB and WR and both Cockrell and Kamar Aiken are prized possessions right now.

OH FCOL - How many men fit on a 53 man roster? Take your time...

Ironic that a 4th round pick in 2014 was signed off our practice squad a year later and is now a #1 corner for a top 5 NFL team, while we are sitting here with a gigantic need at corner. Another example of our failures to develop talent, and nearly always expecting our draft picks from rounds 1-4 to be immediate starters.

Ross Cockrell would be pretty nice to have right now........

Billsfan905, a big part of the problem is that we keep changing coaches thus schemes and needs.

Cockrell played great for Schwartz. His strength is zone play, which made him unsuited to Rex Ryan's scheme. Now he'd be a great fit again.

Don't think that Whaley didn't pop a couple Prilosecs when the coach's rankings came in and he had to cut him.

I did not read through all three pages, sorry, but didn't Rex admit that he screwed this up by trying to sneak him through the waivers to keep him? Pittsburgh called his bluff.

Dude this is how the NFL works. As if the Bills haven't picked up guys off of other (successful) teams' scrap heaps that end up being good for us multiple times throughout the drought. Just off the top of my head, we picked up Kraig Urbik off the Steelers' scrap heap. It happens all over the league, all the time.

Mike Gillislee as well, IIRC.

These type of mistakes do happen all the time for other teams, however, they seem to happen to Buffalo more often on a recurring basis. When you have these type of issues repeat themselves every single off season and way more than one starting player has been cast off, it begins to look as if talent and scouting are way behind ALL other teams in the league. There is definitely more at work than injuries and bad luck that have plagued this franchise in the last 2 decades.

There was no excuse to not make a home for him in the secondary.

He was an ascending player and looked good at the end of Schwartz time.

Except for what actually happened. He missed almost the entire preseason of Rex's first year, and I believe he was finally healthy enough to play in the last preseason game. Mario Butler, his competition for a roster spot, had a great camp and preseason, and won the spot. So they tried to sneak him onto the PS. Given the circumstances of his injury, and not being able to show the new staff much, one could certainly excuse them for that...

Except for what actually happened. He missed almost the entire preseason of Rex's first year, and I believe he was finally healthy enough to play in the last preseason game. Mario Butler, his competition for a roster spot, had a great camp and preseason, and won the spot. So they tried to sneak him onto the PS. Given the circumstances of his injury, and not being able to show the new staff much, one could certainly excuse them for that...

No, you don't let talent go just to even out position counts when you have a 53 man roster of which 7 are inactive every week and a practice squad where you can stash players that can be quickly called up to provide depth at lesser positions like OG or S.

Serviceable cornerbacks are a high value item and Cockrell had made considerable strides from camp to the end of his rookie year.

Rex got careless.......even he admitted it.

The team had a lot of talent but they weren't strong across the board in the secondary.

Technically, he wasn't signed from the PS. They snagged him on waivers before he even made it there.

Rex thought they could "sneak" him on, but Pitt picked him up. If he was on the PS, Buffalo would have had right of first refusal to offer a roster spot to keep him.

I don't believe there is a 'right of first refusal". All I can find is any team can sign any PS player with no compensation going to original team if they sign him to 53 man roster.

I don't believe there is a 'right of first refusal". All I can find is any team can sign any PS player with no compensation going to original team if they sign him to 53 man roster.

There is no compensation, but the original teams has the right to offer a roster spot to the PS player if another team signs him.

Pretty sure this has happened to the Bills on both ends before. I recall them signing a PS guy from another team who ended up getting called up on his original squad.