Jerry S the problem solver

Excellent week for the always so insightful Jerry Sullivan. He advocated cutting Tyrod Taylor, and replacing him by "drafting a quarterback". As if the Bills or any other team can just snap their fingers and magically a franchise QB will happen to be available in this or most any draft year. Perhaps Jerry should put aside his hero worship of the Patriots organization and take a hard look at the Patriots success rate has been in drafting QBs. They have drafted a lot of QBs since stumbling into the lucky lottery ticket named Brady in the SIXTH round. All of their choices have failed, and Jimmy G is no sure thing either. So if his genius organization has failed miserably in identifying and drafting a franchise QB, what does that say about his solution that the Bills should simply "draft a franchise QB". It's not that easy for the Bills or any team, including the Pats.

Speaking of Jerry's hero worship of the Pats, it was just two weeks ago that Jerry berated the Bills organization for even considering lavishing a big contract on Gilmore - something, according to Jerry, the Patriots would never do. He further whined about why the Bills don't follow Pats model in refusing to give out big contracts to guys like Gilmore.

But of course with Jerry S it's always heads I win, tails the Bills are stupid. So next year, if Gilmore has a great year, Jerry will write column explaining why Bill B. was such a genius in stealing Gilmore from the Bills

Excellent week for the always so insightful Jerry Sullivan. He advocated cutting Tyrod Taylor, and replacing him by "drafting a quarterback". As if the Bills or any other team can just snap their fingers and magically a franchise QB will happen to be available in this or most any draft year. Perhaps Jerry should put aside his hero worship of the Patriots organization and take a hard look at the Patriots success rate has been in drafting QBs. They have drafted a lot of QBs since stumbling into the lucky lottery ticket named Brady in the SIXTH round. All of their choices have failed, and Jimmy G is no sure thing either. So if his genius organization has failed miserably in identifying and drafting a franchise QB, what does that say about his solution that the Bills should simply "draft a franchise QB". It's not that easy for the Bills or any team, including the Pats.

Speaking of Jerry's hero worship of the Pats, it was just two weeks ago that Jerry berated the Bills organization for even considering lavishing a big contract on Gilmore - something, according to Jerry, the Patriots would never do. He further whined about why the Bills don't follow Pats model in refusing to give out big contracts to guys like Gilmore.

But of course with Jerry S it's always heads I win, tails the Bills are stupid. So next year, if Gilmore has a great year, Jerry will write column explaining why Bill B. was such a genius in stealing Gilmore from the Bills

It was also thought that the Pats traded Chandler Jones because they were not going to be able to resign Jones, Hightower, and Butler. Well Jones is gone, Hightower is unsigned, and Butler is unsigned. Maybe they did that knowing they wanted to go after a top CB?

That's not how it works, WIDE LEFT.... you see with those particular media types like Sully, you only bring up the stuff you got right. Don't attempt to insert logic, reason, or track record into this. Sully was right, because Patriots.

When he said they would never give Gilly a big contract, he was right. But in the time since, master god Bellicheck has altered the rules of the universe, and now it is the right decision. Come on, WIDE LEFT, keep up.

That's not how it works, WIDE LEFT.... you see with those particular media types like Sully, you only bring up the stuff you got right. Don't attempt to insert logic, reason, or track record into this. Sully was right, because Patriots.

When he said they would never give Gilly a big contract, he was right. But in the time since, master god Bellicheck has altered the rules of the universe, and now it is the right decision. Come on, WIDE LEFT, keep up.

Heads Jerry wins, tails I am the idiot. You are right - the world according to Jerry, always changing. Tough to keep up

Sullivan is an idiot

Jerry has been (and remains) a troll long before the term as we now know it was invented.

My favorite was leading up to the 2004 draft when he insisted that the Bills must do whatever it took to draft a QB in the first round. Then when they tried (and failed) to move up for Big Ben but instead made the move to get Losman, he criticized the team for moving up to get him. It is is irrelevant that the turned out to be correct that the move to get Losman was a bad one -- the point is that the team did exactly what he was suggesting, which was to move up to get a QB ranked as a first round prospect.

Is this true - that Sully said good organizations don't give out big contracts to guys like Gilmore?

I think every organization is willing to overpay a FA once in a while if it's a guy they feel they really need.

Jerry has been (and remains) a troll long before the term as we now know it was invented.

My favorite was leading up to the 2004 draft when he insisted that the Bills must do whatever it took to draft a QB in the first round. Then when they tried (and failed) to move up for Big Ben but instead made the move to get Losman, he criticized the team for moving up to get him. It is is irrelevant that the turned out to be correct that the move to get Losman was a bad one -- the point is that the team did exactly what he was suggesting, which was to move up to get a QB ranked as a first round prospect.

2004? Sullivan was a troll when the Bills were good in the '90s.

My most telling Sullivan memory was listening to a piece with him on Shredd and Ragan in the mid 90s (I think). He was on air ripping on his son's tee-ball playing ability and bashing his son and his son's teammates on how terrible it was to have to watch their games in a way that, regardless of whether it was meant to be funny (still not certain that it was), would be incredibly hurtful to any 9 year old that, say, happened to be listening to the radio. Pretty much everything out of his mouth that morning was clearly someone with a full bladder looking for anybody's bowl of Wheaties. I am by no means against ripping on a buddy and have said some pretty obnoxious things myself, but a kid? He pretty much summed himself up to me as a vile human being that day.

I hardly ever even check the Buffalo News' sports section anymore. It's gone so far downhill it's barely worth reading anymore. Some of the new writers are good, but most of the old crew doesn't write much of anything worth reading IMO. So I refuse to give them the clicks.

Obviously some, like Sully, have been garbage writers forever. But ever since that fallout the Buffalo News had with Pegula shortly after he bought the Sabres, things changed for the worse. Most of their cool inside access, behind the scenes pieces disappeared and they started writing more and more slam pieces. They seem to have some vendetta against Pegula and the Bills/Sabres.

I hardly ever even check the Buffalo News' sports section anymore. It's gone so far downhill it's barely worth reading anymore. Some of the new writers are good, but most of the old crew doesn't write much of anything worth reading IMO. So I refuse to give them the clicks.

Obviously some, like Sully, have been garbage writers forever. But ever since that fallout the Buffalo News had with Pegula shortly after he bought the Sabres, things changed for the worse. Most of their cool inside access, behind the scenes pieces disappeared and they started writing more and more slam pieces. They seem to have some vendetta against Pegula and the Bills/Sabres.

Sully appeals to miserable people.

It was also thought that the Pats traded Chandler Jones because they were not going to be able to resign Jones, Hightower, and Butler. Well Jones is gone, Hightower is unsigned, and Butler is unsigned. Maybe they did that knowing they wanted to go after a top CB?

They got a higher pick than they wouldve as a comp pick for jones. Hightower probably is cancelled out by the gilmore signing. And they've backed butler in a corner. He can sign and play for them, sign and get traded, or refuse to sign and hold out for an extension. I think Bill probably knew he was going to hold out - so by signing gilmore they've made him expendable.

Yet his stuff gets such a big reaction around here.

It's working out fine for him.

Not really, I don't read his stuff anymore, haven't in several years, which means the News doesn't get me to click on their page and read their useless banner ads. I just love seeing what people here are saying.

Edited by GRHater69

You seriously need to get a life, if you are so jacked up because of what Jerry Sullivan writes. The guy has been around for a whole long time and writes editorial pieces. That means he gives his opinion. I find them insiteful with a whole lot of context, since he has been covering Buffalo sports for so long, with just enuf humor edginess and disgust. You don't have to agree with him. But he is an excellent writer.

And btw that organization that Sullivan supposedly worships? They have won 5 Super Bowls and played in a total of 7 since the 2001 season. And have played in the last 6 Conference Championships. So while as Bills fans, we loathe them as a rival. You have to respect what they have accomplished.

You seriously need to get a life, if you are so jacked up because of what Jerry Sullivan writes. The guy has been around for a whole long time and writes editorial pieces. That means he gives his opinion. I find them insiteful with a whole lot of context, since he has been covering Buffalo sports for so long, with just enuf humor edginess and disgust. You don't have to agree with him. But he is an excellent writer.

And btw that organization that Sullivan supposedly worships? They have won 5 Super Bowls and played in a total of 7 since the 2001 season. And have played in the last 6 Conference Championships. So while as Bills fans, we loathe them as a rival. You have to respect what they have accomplished.

This is factually incorrect. He isn't even a proficient writer.

Guest NeckBeard

He has the easiest job in the world. Years ago, when I was finishing up at UB, some classmates and I drove out a bit because we were buzzed and wanted to tip over some cows. We found a dead cow and jumped on it like a trampoline. It was perverse, and yet it was incredibly fun at the same time. JS's columns are kind of like that.

He has the easiest job in the world. Years ago, when I was finishing up at UB, some classmates and I drove out a bit because we were buzzed and wanted to tip over some cows. We found a dead cow and jumped on it like a trampoline. It was perverse, and yet it was incredibly fun at the same time. JS's columns are kind of like that.

So you drink and drive, trespass, and use dead animals to amuse yourself. Apt screen name. If only the cow would have exploded and covered you in rotting carcass... then it would have been just like a Sullivan column.

Guest NeckBeard

So you drink and drive, trespass, and use dead animals to amuse yourself. Apt screen name. If only the cow would have exploded and covered you in rotting carcass... then it would have been just like a Sullivan column.

HAHA! We had a sober companion. 1994. UB. Computer science. Foreign student who could drive drove us there. Ease up a bit.

But I liked your description of the typical Sully column. I laughed out loud.

For the uninitiated, freshly dead cows are incredibly spongy. Guess we'd found a freshly dead one, eh?

Edited by MouthBreather

Not all that jacked up - just pointing out his complete lack of insight. Where do find him to be insightful when it comes to the NFL? He never played or coached the game, he does not review and break down game film, and worst of all he has been too lazy to ever develop a source who does these things or has that expertise. As a result, his opinions are no more insightful than the average fan. "Being around a long time" means nothing; your average joe at the local bar has been around a long time too and has seen as many Bills games as Jerry. He has no insight because ha has no sources. Thus you get Sullivan "insight" like blasting Bills for even considering giving Gilmore a big contract, something according to him the Pats would never do. Great insight there, great sources there.

You tell him he needs to get a life because he's supposedly "jacked up" about a Sullivan article, yet by that same reasoning it would seem that you need to "seriously get a life" for getting "jacked up" about this post.