Are we rebuilding?

At some point it will have to happen. They've pushed off the impact of some contracts into the future (Clay, TT, etc), have little depth at several positions (WR, LB, S, CB), a new coaching staff that will implement new schemes, and a bottom quartile QB who doesn't hurt you much, but doesn't win you games either. That, and their cap space is not what other non-performing teams had going into the off-season.

I see some bad contracts, poor drafts, the lack of depth at multiple positions and the inevitable changes of another coaching staff pushing down the win total this season.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have low expectations for next year. I find it hard to believe they can fill all the glaring holes as well as improve depth to deal with the brutal season. DB positions aren't easy pickups for rookies either.

Luckily it projects to be a decent draft for some of the need positions. I'll try being patient.

Depending how the board shakes out BPA could also be our biggest need at 10, heads would explode at OBD and they would trade back out of sheer excitement.

At some point it will have to happen. They've pushed off the impact of some contracts into the future (Clay, TT, etc), have little depth at several positions (WR, LB, S, CB), a new coaching staff that will implement new schemes, and a bottom quartile QB who doesn't hurt you much, but doesn't win you games either. That, and their cap space is not what other non-performing teams had going into the off-season.

I see some bad contracts, poor drafts, the lack of depth at multiple positions and the inevitable changes of another coaching staff pushing down the win total this season.

The depth looks worse than it really is because so many players from last years draft did little or nothing due to injuries etc. That pisses me off even more about that 16' draft class. You can't even evaluate the majority of them and have no idea how to address those positions a year later.

This. Also, the constant scheme changes and coaching carousel.

We were 3-4. Then 4-3. Then 3-4. Now back to 4-3. And this is just the last 4 years.

You don't sign WR and secondary to big time money

Robert Woods was targeted on 74 snaps last year out of a 1,000 offensive plays, it's not efficient to pay big money for that

Gilmour is a good player but his ability to impact a game is far less than that of Defensive Line players

The Bills strategy under Doug I believe is to pay for players on the OLine and DLine (and of course QB)

The Bills need to hit a home run in this draft. Whaley's job depends on it, McDermott's potential depends on it, and the fans NEED it.

If you want a home run to turn around the franchise it needs to be a QB. No other position can matter that much. Patrick Mahomes.

I think the more important question is whether we will be stronger or weaker going into the regular season than last year. Losing Gilmore, Woods, Brown and others will hurt, and because we do not have as much cap space as we should, we likely will not be able to find free agents that are commensurate with the players lost. The release of additional players negatively impacts our secondary and overall depth, and we only have six draft picks as of now in the draft. Bad contracts for players like Clay really are hurting this team. With all of this, kind of weird that the initial focus (I know it is very early) in free agency is FB, K and a guy who played guard.

The depth looks worse than it really is because so many players from last years draft did little or nothing due to injuries etc. That pisses me off even more about that 16' draft class. You can't even evaluate the majority of them and have no idea how to address those positions a year later.

I posted in another thread they've now got 5 starters from the 2012-15 drafts: Glenn, Watkins, P. Brown, Darby, and Miller. Expecting the personnel group to improve on draft day in hopes of building the foundation Whaley talked about in January is a wish and a prayer. He's never been able to do it and talking about a "foundation" is absurd considering Whaley's been here now this his 8th off-season.

There are depth issues all over the field and not enough resources to address them. I doubt they can adequately fill out their secondary, add a 2nd and 3rd WR, improve the RT position, obtain a decent backup QB, solidify the DL, and add LB's to play their new scheme. It's the story going back more than 10 years: too many needs and not enough picks/UFA dollars to address them.

I posted in another thread they've now got 5 starters from the 2012-15 drafts: Glenn, Watkins, P. Brown, Darby, and Miller. Expecting the personnel group to improve on draft day in hopes of building the foundation Whaley talked about in January is a wish and a prayer. He's never been able to do it and talking about a "foundation" is absurd considering Whaley's been here now this his 8th off-season.

There are depth issues all over the field and not enough resources to address them. I doubt they can adequately fill out their secondary, add a 2nd and 3rd WR, improve the RT position, obtain a decent backup QB, solidify the DL, and add LB's to play their new scheme. It's the story going back more than 10 years: too many needs and not enough picks/UFA dollars to address them.

You build your team through the draft and the Bills have not drafted well. That's why we are where we are.

You don't sign WR and secondary to big time money

Robert Woods was targeted on 74 snaps last year out of a 1,000 offensive plays, it's not efficient to pay big money for that

Gilmour is a good player but his ability to impact a game is far less than that of Defensive Line players

The Bills strategy under Doug I believe is to pay for players on the OLine and DLine (and of course QB)

The problem with this is that the guys we bring in to replace Gilmore and Woods are going to be worse than Gilmore and Woods.

Not paying guys is cool, but it's not like it automatically makes your team better.

The Bills depth chart at WR is laughable. Watkins, Listenbee and Powell. That's all we've got.

Our secondary is a disaster. Darby, Seymour, Graham. That's all we've got in the back end which is mind boggling.

Edited by jrober38

You build your team through the draft and the Bills have not drafted well. That's why we are where we are.

Correct...part of the problem is we change coaches every 2-3 years.....different philosophies with each coach

The problem with this is that the guys we bring in to replace Gilmore and Woods are going to be worse than Gilmore and Woods.

Not paying guys is cool, but it's not like it automatically makes your team better.

The Bills depth chart at WR is laughable. Watkins, Listenbee and Powell. That's all we've got.

Our secondary is a disaster. Darby, Seymour, Graham. That's all we've got in the back end which is mind boggling.

Yet people are still split on Whaley...

No. Kyle Williams and Tyrod would not be on this team if it was a rebuild.

You know what. I'm starting to think that's not the case. I think Kyle is on this team to help the locker room and TT is here on the cheap in the event he can turn into something. If he doesn't get better this year, he's likely cut next year.

Good teams occasionally have to let high priced veterans go for several reasons. Difference is, they regularly have an experienced replacement ready to step in and therefore don't need their draft picks to immediately step in and play at a high level. Last year it was insane to expect Lawson, Ragland, and Washington to all provide solid play.