Cap People - Restructure Glenn/Dareus?

Virgil

From my understanding, we are in a much better cap situation next year. I don't normally like the idea of kicking the can down the road, but is there any reason we can't re-structure Dareus, Glenn, and maybe Kyle to get some cap relief this year and dump some into next year?

I'm genuinely worried about the amount of holes we need to fill. If we freed up even another 10-15 mil, we could keep a Gilmore, sign a Torrey Smith, RT, and keep a Brown. I'm also a fan of keeping TT, but that's not what this is abour.

The draft would handle he rest and I think we stay competitive this year.

Don't focus on who I want to keep. I just want to know if this is a possible idea.

Not sure about Glenn as he just recently signed his extension, and I thought this was Kyles last year on his current deal?

I can't say I really get the options we have with these guys. If Kyle in his last year and making 7 mil. Can't you just re-sign him to a one year deal for 1 mil with a 7 mil bonus? Didn't Brady and Brees do stuff like this?

I can't say I really get the options we have with these guys. If Kyle in his last year and making 7 mil. Can't you just re-sign him to a one year deal for 1 mil with a 7 mil bonus? Didn't Brady and Brees do stuff like this?

I think you would have to sign him to an extension and then convert this years money to a signing bonus so it becomes guaranteed but can also spread it out across the length of the contract.

So if by your example, they sign a 1 yr extension with the next year base at 1 mil and convert the 6 of the 7 this year to a signing bonus, the cap hit would be 4 this year and 4 next year (1mil base 3 mil bonus cap hit). I am not an expert but that is how it would work I think, so it would save 3 this year (4 instead of 7) but then you are adding 4 to next year

Chris T did this analysis somewhere else on the web.

Glenn saves $7.5M on this year's cap

Dareus saves $7.2M on this year's cap

Is this if they are cut? What savings are you talking about? The OP I believe was talking about restructuring not cutting

Is this if they are cut? What savings are you talking about? The OP I believe was talking about restructuring not cutting

No, if they are restructured. The savings is how much lower their cap hit would be this year than if we left the deal as is (restructuring is just kicking the money down the timeline, it'll be accounted for eventually). You are correct in your belief.

No, if they are restructured. The savings is how much lower their cap hit would be this year than if we left the deal as is (restructuring is just kicking the money down the timeline, it'll be accounted for eventually). You are correct in your belief.

Ah ok, I didn't see that by Chris T then, but good info to know! :thumbsup:

Assuming we keep TT, we need to need to re-sign or get FA's for:

Gilmore/DB

S

RT

Brown-Brown/MLB

Lorax - OLB

WR2, WR3

If I'm not mistaken, we have one of the least cap space with the most players available for FA.

I would think Kyle would be the best option. He's on the last yr of his contract, w/ a high salary (~$8m?). Extend him a yr or two, give him a ~$6m bonus (I think there's a limit as to how much you can reduce your salary in a renegotiation. He gets his $ & the team gets to defer some of his cap hit forward. Good chance this will be his last yr either cuz he'll want to retire or cuz we won't think he'll be worth his salary/cap hit. Actually, pleasantly surprised he wasn't (or hasn't yet been) released yet this yr.

Darius would seem imprudent. His deadcap $ is already so high (~$30m), it's highly impractical to cut or trade him. Extending it would just make the situation worse in the future & he's (arguably) already under performing his contract.

then where is the cap savings? You normally spread bonus over the length of the contract. Hard to do with a 1 year deal

then where is the cap savings? You normally spread bonus over the length of the contract. Hard to do with a 1 year deal

Just moves it from cap to bonus. Most players won't like it because of the lack of security. But again, I thought Brady did it. And the bonus money doesn't hit the cap the same way

Just moves it from cap to bonus. Most players won't like it because of the lack of security. But again, I thought Brady did it. And the bonus money doesn't hit the cap the same way

But it's still only a 1 year contract....You can't spread a $7M bonus with only a 1 year deal....you need to add extra years to do this

Bonus money is spread over the contract - If it's a 1 year deal, it's all this season. You need at least 2 years to spread out the bonus to get cap relief, but next year he has no salary, so there needs to be more money involved . He's a tough one to redo.

From my understanding, we are in a much better cap situation next year. I don't normally like the idea of kicking the can down the road, but is there any reason we can't re-structure Dareus, Glenn, and maybe Kyle to get some cap relief this year and dump some into next year?

I'm genuinely worried about the amount of holes we need to fill. If we freed up even another 10-15 mil, we could keep a Gilmore, sign a Torrey Smith, RT, and keep a Brown. I'm also a fan of keeping TT, but that's not what this is abour.

The draft would handle he rest and I think we stay competitive this year.

Don't focus on who I want to keep. I just want to know if this is a possible idea.

Glenn yes

DO NOT I Reapeat DO NOT kick Dareus contract dont the road.

Umm on a 1 year deal as described yes it does

Bonus money is spread over the contract - If it's a 1 year deal, it's all this season. You need at least 2 years to spread out the bonus to get cap relief, but next year he has no salary, so there needs to be more money involved . He's a tough one to redo.

Only way to do it at this point is really cut him and bring him right back in a 2-3 year deal

Easier to kiss a few million goodbye when you're making 24-25.

And what leverage do they have over Dareus that he would agree to restructure?