Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

I see Bills brass seeing a QB like Mahomes in the draft that can be thee guy for 15 years and want to bring in a Romo type to bridge a year or two and protect for injury. If you think Mahomes has greater skills than TT and you think Romo is a better QB today than TT hard to argue this.

I believe McD sees Taylor being a better option than Romo and knows that if we commit to TT than 1st pick will be another position.

Honestly throwing the whole $30 mill gtd out the window Taylor is signed for a little under $16 mill this year and $17 mil per season for life of contract. In a QB starved league that's a bargain for his talent and after a year the Bills could trade him and get solid value if they still wanted to draft a Mahomes and let him sit. Problem is tough to use a 1st pick that you know won't help you in year one.

I doubt Romo would come here and he is a huge injury concern.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think Marrone didn't have a big say on EJ? Marrone was looking for his way out and just tried to win as many games rather than try to develop a qb.

I wonder if Ralph Wilson passing away before that 2014 season played a big factor? Maybe it made Marrone feel like he no longer had the time to develop EJ? My guess would be that he felt he needed to win as many games as possible to try and secure his job with whoever the new owner would be, or give himself the best chance at getting hired as a HC elsewhere around the league.

Looking back, it's pretty clear that Marrone and Whaley were not on the same page. Whaley goes all in on EJ by giving up multiple picks for Sammy Watkins (against Marrone's wishes from the rumors), then Marrone benchs him a few games into the season to try and win more.

I think both of them kind of had their own best interests at heart and I can't really say I blame either one of them, with the uncertainty of new ownership coming in.

It totally makes sense to include the HC in the discussion. In fact, if the HC says that's the QB he can win with, IMO that trumps all. That's exactly where I'm at with Taylor: if McDermott wants him to stay, he should stay. If he doesn't, he shouldn't. I don't care what Pegula, Whaley, Brandon, Overdorf, or the janitor have to say about it.

I also wish Taylor would've played better last year, but I still think he's good enough to be the ~17th highest paid QB until we find something better. That wouldn't be a concern with a well-managed cap.

Im there too. Im not naive enuff to point squarely at TT for this teams Losses. I think McDermy should get the roster he wants to work with and we should roll with that. If Dermys not worried bout the cap im good.

Again, if the almighty meddling triumvirate of Whaley, Brandon, and Overdorf really wanted TT gone, I mean really wanted him gone, he would have been gone well before any new coach was hired, when there was simply no other opinion to be weighed. That simple. Then again, simple is often too complicated for LaConjecture.

The simple truth is there is discussion taking place. There are pros and cons for both keeping and cutting him. It should be deliberated. Especially after a new staff has had a chance to perform an in depth analysis.

It's too bad TT's play didn't put the issue to rest on its own merit.

If the holdovers wanted Tyrod gone before a new coach was hired, they absolutely could have cut him. And then dealt with the risk of a grievance resulting from tyrods abdominal injury/surgery. Maybe Ty's agent sensed that ty might have a better shot with a new coach than with the holdovers and used the surgery to buy a little time. The notion that the holdovers wanted ty out would explain the bills' "elective surgery" press release.

Im there too. Im not naive enuff to point squarely at TT for this teams Losses. I think McDermy should get the roster he wants to work with and we should roll with that. If Dermys not worried bout the cap im good.

The defense was the biggest problem.

Guest Diesel-USMC

If anyone thinks, for a minute, that differeing opinions do not exist at OBD within the rank structure, we have to get you off the media pills for a time. Let's face it, these guys have to make decisions about things and they're not always going to agree. The best way for them to go about remedying those disagreements is to sit down and discuss.

It's March. The media has little to go on for topics. So, why not continue to ride that drama wagon for a couple more months?

If anyone thinks, for a minute, that differeing opinions do not exist at OBD within the rank structure, we have to get you off the media pills for a time. Let's face it, these guys have to make decisions about things and they're not always going to agree. The best way for them to go about remedying those disagreements is to sit down and discuss.

It's March. The media has little to go on for topics. So, why not continue to ride that drama wagon for a couple more months?

We'll know a lot more by this time next week.

Exactly. If McDermott commits to Taylor now, he's likely stuck with him for the next 2-3 years. That could very well be the extent of his employment with the Bills if it doesn't work out. If he believes enough in Taylor to put his job on the line for it, I think you have to grant him that.

Do you see the irony in reading what Wawrow wrote and saying what he says must be true?

But..... I did NOT say what Wawrow wrote was true. My point is that we have no idea what is true.

They can write whatever comes to their pretty little heads and there is no accountability. There is absolutely no BS meter to test this crap with.

One thing that is absolutely true though, La Canfora, Vic, and the rest of the gang got their articles in for the day.

It must be Beer O'Clock.

I don't like what's said.

Therefore it's the media's fault.

Again, yeah, it's the media.

I'm sure the approach of the decline on the Tyrod decision has nothing to do with it.

Depends on when Pegula issued that imaginary edict to Whaley, Brandon, and Overdorf declaring TT untouchable, I guess.

There is simply no evidence, none at all, that supports LaConjecture's assertion that Whaley, Brandon, and Overdorf wanted to cut TT then and want to cut him now. None.

First, there's plenty of evidence. It might be evidence you're not willing to accept, but it's been reported again and again from different reporters with different sources that this has been going on with Whaley. His behaviour has shown it as well, on many occasions.

Second, you're misreading the story. It didn't say that they want to cut him. It says they don't want to pay him. People want to avoid, deny, ignore and take every other way people pretend things they don't like don't even exist that the contract isn't a huge part of this. But it is. He will impact the Bills at a franchise QB level if they pick up the option and he stays the length of time he's most likely to stay, two years or so.

They don't want to pay that contract. The story doesn't say they wouldn't keep him if a re-negotiation makes it more reasonable to keep him.

Required and rational discussion among the principals concerning all the pros and cons of the critically important TT decision, one that needed to wait until the coaches made their assessments, does not rise to the level of LaConjecture's sensationalized version of events.

But doesn't rule it out either.

@john_wawrow

Still hearing #Bills haven't made decision in Tyrod. As for supposed rift, report overblown.

damage control. To the next "laconjecture" poster I preemptively ask: how do we know lacanfora got played by his source(s) w the "chasm" report and wawrow did not get similarly played w his "no chasm" report?

Edited by SectionC3

Guest Diesel-USMC

I don't like what's said.

Therefore it's the media's fault.

Again, yeah, it's the media.

I'm sure the approach of the decline on the Tyrod decision has nothing to do with it.

Do you know what I take from that article? Nothing that I didn't already know and a whole lot of wedge driving. Basically, he was told to write something, he mixed a bunch of little things together and managed to hit his word quota.

For one thing, I have a real hard time believing that McDermott is even remotely close to knowing whether or not he and his staff are 100% ready to roll with Taylor. That is going to have much more impact on whether or not he is here in 2017 than Russ Brandon or the medias attempt to paint him as The Godfather of Bills football in Orchard Park.