Per Carucci, Bills now leaning toward cutting Taylor

Has any team ever really came out and announced that they were tanking the season?

PLUS - Regarding the PLAN - For many years of the drought, Ralph Wilson's plan was to keep the team on life support until it was passed down and eventually sold - so there was THAT PLAN.

NOW - We have new owners who are OWNERS but not neccessarily FOOTBALL PEOPLE. Plan = Find someone to make plan.

What the Bills REALLY NEED is a PLAN MAKER then...

Of course that's what they need, but they appear to be too proud to admit it.

I'm simply pointing out what I think they Bills should do. I think if they took Cleveland's approach and cleared space and accumulated picks that long term they'd be better off in 5 years than on our current path.

IMO, this team is going nowhere as it's currently constructed. Our drafting for the last 7 years has been horrendous and the result is that we've got no foundation to build upon.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly believe that McD was being forthright this week when he said that the team had yet to reach a final decision on Tyrod. The coaches' analysis likely mirrors the consensus on Tyrod: he is NOT a franchise QB (and likely never will be), but the team can win with him if other pieces are in place. The sad fact of the matter is that even middling NFL QBs are VERY hard to find -- and even if Tyrod plays under his existing contract it is NOT a horrible deal for an adequate NFL QB.

That leaves a number of questions yet to be answered:

1. Are there any serious better alternatives available (Romo)?

2. Is a restructure that can save the team money still possible?

3. Assuming no restructure, can the team downgrade a bit (Foles, Simien, Glennon, etc.) and at the same time save enough $ to make it worthwhile?

4. What is the analysis of the QBs coming out in this draft?

5. Is there a possibility that other QBs that we have not considered may be available?

6. Is there a chance of working a trade with another team that likes Tyrod?

The situation truly is fluid.

One thing I absolutely do not believe is that they would be willing to cut ties with Tyrdod without a serious contingency plan in place.

It's a question of practicalities.

It's a safe assumption that Cardale, Siemian or whoever else not named Romo is going to give us less than TT.

But how much MORE does TT give you for the tens of millions in additional money guarantees and, more importantly, the valuable cap space that could be used to shore things up elsewhere (and yes, I know that cap number for QBs is friendly, relatively)? Especially with a still questionable defense? A couple more wins? Three? How many?

Like I've said since McD broke his silence on the matter earlier in the week, after two months of exhaustive film study and analysis, there was no ringing endorsement of TT like there was for KW for instance. The staff is obviously underwhelmed. While I think that's regretable, it's also the reality.

It won't be a popular decision for a huge segment of fans, but sometimes hard, practical decisions need to be made. And I think the TT decision is one of them.

How much more does TT give you for the money? Good question. I think the QB position is so important that the little more that TT brings versus the other alternatives is in fact worth the tens of millions.

And I think McD isn't giving out ringing endorsements of TT because they're in the middle of negotiations. I'm guessing the Bills are asking TT to restructure. I think TT wants to stay with the Bills and the Bills know that so they're using that as their only leverage. If Tyrod doesn't think the threat of being cut is credible, he won't restructure. So the Bills almost certainly asked McD not to say anything in public about TT being the QB of the future or his desire for that. The more tentative Tyrod feels about his position right now, the better. They can kiss and make up later.

I honestly believe that McD was being forthright this week when he said that the team had yet to reach a final decision on Tyrod. The coaches' analysis likely mirrors the consensus on Tyrod: he is NOT a franchise QB (and likely never will be), but the team can win with him if other pieces are in place. The sad fact of the matter is that even middling NFL QBs are VERY hard to find -- and even if Tyrod plays under his existing contract it is NOT a horrible deal for an adequate NFL QB.

That leaves a number of questions yet to be answered:

1. Are there any serious better alternatives available (Romo)?

2. Is a restructure that can save the team money still possible?

3. Assuming no restructure, can the team downgrade a bit (Foles, Simien, Glennon, etc.) and at the same time save enough $ to make it worthwhile?

4. What is the analysis of the QBs coming out in this draft?

5. Is there a possibility that other QBs that we have not considered may be available?

6. Is there a chance of working a trade with another team that likes Tyrod?

The situation truly is fluid.

One thing I absolutely do not believe is that they would be willing to cut ties with Tyrdod without a serious contingency plan in place.

Good post.

I think points 2 and 3 are the crux of it. If they can't accomplish the former, I think their perception is there would be little drop off based on what they've seen on tape.

Of course that's what they need, but they appear to be too proud to admit it.

I'm simply pointing out what I think they Bills should do. I think if they took Cleveland's approach and cleared space and accumulated picks that long term they'd be better off in 5 years than on our current path.

IMO, this team is going nowhere as it's currently constructed. Our drafting for the last 7 years has been horrendous and the result is that we've got no foundation to build upon.

I guess the real problem is that the Bills are a rudderless ship. UNLESS coach McD is the real deal. Time will tell.

How much more does TT give you for the money? Good question. I think the QB position is so important that the little more that TT brings versus the other alternatives is in fact worth the tens of millions.

And I think McD isn't giving out ringing endorsements of TT because they're in the middle of negotiations. I'm guessing the Bills are asking TT to restructure. I think TT wants to stay with the Bills and the Bills know that so they're using that as their only leverage. If Tyrod doesn't think the threat of being cut is credible, he won't restructure. So the Bills almost certainly asked McD not to say anything in public about TT being the QB of the future or his desire for that. The more tentative Tyrod feels about his position right now, the better. They can kiss and make up later.

All good points to be sure.

The only quibble I'd make is the relative worth vs other lesser candidates as being "tens of millions." Especially If in their minds TT represents a minimal potential number of extra wins and they think his money could represent much more significant improvement elsewhere.

I don't think the Jets have any plans on drafting Trubisky. They are clearly tanking for the #1 pick next season in order to get Sam Darnold. They are doing exactly what we should be doing this season.......putting themselves in the prime position a year from now.

There's a lot of hype out there by the prognosticators that they want him.

OBD: We have not made a decision on Tyrod and will be evaluating all of our options

Carucci Reports: Bills unlikely to keep Taylor

OBD: We have not made a decision on Tyrod and will be evaluating all of our options

Carucci Reports: Bills are undecided, may keep Taylor now

Carucci Reports: Bills simply cannot make up their minds, now unlikely to keep Taylor

Perfect.....I think Vic has a dart board with keep him, cut him, trade him or restructure....then everyday throws a dart and where it lands that is what he writes and speculates about!

When silence speaks to you, it's your imagination.

Not at all. When silence speaks to me, it suggests what wasn't said is often more meaningful.

But McD wasn't silent, was he? It's reasonable to expect a coach to give his starting QB a solid endorsement moving forward. Perhaps, as others have said, it's part of a negotiation tactic and that makes sense. But if McD was REALLY blown away by TT, there wouldn't be anything to negotiate now would there. Especially considering his relative friendly cap number for a starting QB.

And now that I've thought about it, my imagination heard McD say that if TT doesn't redo his deal, we will part ways with him. How's that?

Edited by K-9