Greg Cosell Thinks Bills Should Move On From Tyrod Taylor

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/03/02/qb-guru-greg-cosell-thinks-bills-should-move-on-from-tyrod-taylor/98640594/

Excerpts:

"While it might seem like Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor is currently one of the most polarizing players in the NFL — is he good, or isn’t he? — Greg Cosell thinks the exact opposite.

“'I think people in the league are not polarized at all,' said Cosell, an analyst and senior producer at NFL Films who is widely considered to be one of the foremost evaluators of quarterbacks anywhere.

"So, what does that mean? Simply put, Cosell thinks anyone who has watched tape — and Cosell spends dozens of hours every week doing just that — knows that Taylor is a fun guy to watch, but he’s limited in many areas and at this point is probably who he’s always going to be."

... and ...

“'Taylor doesn’t throw with the anticipation that you need on a consistent basis,' Cosell continued. 'He’s relatively erratic with his accuracy, and his arm is slightly above average but not more. I think he’s a quarterback you can start in the league, but I think people know who Tyrod Taylor is. The larger question is, do you believe he can be your starting quarterback for a lengthy period of time?'”

... and ...

“'If I’m the Buffalo Bills I probably move on because he’s the kind of quarterback that you can line up and more than likely, unless you’re dominant in other areas on your team, you’ll tread water with him,” he said. “You’ll line him up, he’ll play some good games, he’ll struggle in some games, and three years down the road you’ll be having the exact same conversation we’re having right now.'

"Anthony Lynn, who was the Bills’ offensive coordinator for the last 14 games of 2016 and is now the head coach of the Chargers, was asked Thursday about whether he thinks Taylor can be a franchise quarterback

“'I don’t have the answer to that,' said Lynn, which wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. 'I think he’s definitely a starting quarterback in this league, and he won a few games with the Bills that we could not have won without him. And, working with him 1-on-1, I understand his upside maybe better than others. I think the sky’s the limit for Tyrod Taylor. He’s a very smart, hard-working professional.” Again, Lynn didn't exactly identify what that sky was, and as Cosell said, many people around the NFL believe Taylor is already at his zenith."

... and ...

"If the Bills do cut Taylor, Cosell said they shouldn’t spend the No. 10 overall pick in the draft on anyone in this crop of quarterback candidates."

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually respect Cosell's opinion

But.....if I understand what he is saying

- Tyrod is a starting qb but not a franchise qb (we all knew that)

- The REPLACEMENT for Tyrod is not in this draft

soooooo what are the bills supposed to do according to Cossel

Get a better value in the 2nd or 3rd round and sign a cheaper replacement, I guess.

I'd rather just keep Taylor and see what next year's crop of rookies looks like.

You don't have to agree, but Cosell is a highly respected guy, a tape study maniac.

That's fine and all, but you don't move on from a good-ish QB until you have someone better. You have to re-sign him. There really isn't a choice if you want to keep the team from imploding.

We don't have the luxury of a #1 overall pick with Peyton Manning available.

That's fine and all, but you don't move on from a good-ish QB until you have someone better. You have to re-sign him. There really isn't a choice if you want to keep the team from imploding.

There is actually a group on this board that WANTS the team to implode

if you can believe it

I actually respect Cosell's opinion

But.....if I understand what he is saying

- Tyrod is a starting qb but not a franchise qb (we all knew that)

- The REPLACEMENT for Tyrod is not in this draft

soooooo what are the bills supposed to do according to Cossel

Well, first, he didn't say the replacement isn't in this draft. He said he wouldn't draft anyone at #10. That doesn't mean he's saying that after #10 you can't get a franchise guy, as proven by Russell Wilson, Carr, etc.

Second, he thinks they might use the year to look at Cardale, who he also has real doubts about.

Essentially, what he seems to be saying is that Tyrod is a bridge QB and that we've seen his ceiling. And that a guy at that level isn't worth spending $30.75 mill guaranteed if you only keep him for one year, and $40.5 mill if you only keep him for two.

The Bucs wouldn't have drafted Winston if they listened to Cossell http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/11/29/5155128/greg-cosell-buccaneers-dont-need-to-draft-a-quarterback

Wow, you're stretching that beyond all reasonable bounds. That article is from a year and a half before they drafted Winston, November 2013, when Glennon was having a really good first few weeks of his rookie year.. Everyone was impressed at that time.

He certainly wasn't telling the Bucs not to draft Winston. More, it's a quote from Cosell taken out of context. You can't tell what he said in the rest of the radio interview.

Cosell has made mistakes, as has every single evaluator of QBs in the history of the world, but he isn't saying anything like what you're implying he was.

BullBuchanan, that's not true..

Finance figures into it. It just does. Through the years plenty of potential bridge QBs have gotten cut when it would've cost too much to keep them even if they were the best QB on the team.

You only have to go back to the Bills cutting Fitz. He was the best QB on the team, but he was asking for too much money. They made the right move dumping him. He might have won a game or two more that year but he wasn't the long-term answer, he wasn't taking them to the Super Bowl and he wanted too much money.

Same situation here.

Edited by Thurman#1

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/03/02/qb-guru-greg-cosell-thinks-bills-should-move-on-from-tyrod-taylor/98640594/

Excerpts:

"While it might seem like Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor is currently one of the most polarizing players in the NFL — is he good, or isn’t he? — Greg Cosell thinks the exact opposite.

“'I think people in the league are not polarized at all,' said Cosell, an analyst and senior producer at NFL Films who is widely considered to be one of the foremost evaluators of quarterbacks anywhere.

"So, what does that mean? Simply put, Cosell thinks anyone who has watched tape — and Cosell spends dozens of hours every week doing just that — knows that Taylor is a fun guy to watch, but he’s limited in many areas and at this point is probably who he’s always going to be."

... and ...

“'Taylor doesn’t throw with the anticipation that you need on a consistent basis,' Cosell continued. 'He’s relatively erratic with his accuracy, and his arm is slightly above average but not more. I think he’s a quarterback you can start in the league, but I think people know who Tyrod Taylor is. The larger question is, do you believe he can be your starting quarterback for a lengthy period of time?'”

... and ...

“'If I’m the Buffalo Bills I probably move on because he’s the kind of quarterback that you can line up and more than likely, unless you’re dominant in other areas on your team, you’ll tread water with him,” he said. “You’ll line him up, he’ll play some good games, he’ll struggle in some games, and three years down the road you’ll be having the exact same conversation we’re having right now.'

"Anthony Lynn, who was the Bills’ offensive coordinator for the last 14 games of 2016 and is now the head coach of the Chargers, was asked Thursday about whether he thinks Taylor can be a franchise quarterback

“'I don’t have the answer to that,' said Lynn, which wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. 'I think he’s definitely a starting quarterback in this league, and he won a few games with the Bills that we could not have won without him. And, working with him 1-on-1, I understand his upside maybe better than others. I think the sky’s the limit for Tyrod Taylor. He’s a very smart, hard-working professional.” Again, Lynn didn't exactly identify what that sky was, and as Cosell said, many people around the NFL believe Taylor is already at his zenith."

... and ...

"If the Bills do cut Taylor, Cosell said they shouldn’t spend the No. 10 overall pick in the draft on anyone in this crop of quarterback candidates."

this message is approved by Buffalo Barbarian.

If tanking was an exact science I'd advocate for it....but it's not so until you have something better lined up you keep Tyrod.

The Bucs wouldn't have drafted Winston if they listened to Cossell http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/11/29/5155128/greg-cosell-buccaneers-dont-need-to-draft-a-quarterback

Jury is still out on Winston. Don't get sold on inflated numbers these days...he also sexually assaulted someone in college and got away with it.

if you can believe it

thats because if u tank u are guaranteed to win the superbowl in a couple years, cant believe everyone doesnt know that by now...

If tanking was an exact science I'd advocate for it....but it's not so until you have something better lined up you keep Tyrod.

Jury is still out on Winston. Don't get sold on inflated numbers these days...he also sexually assaulted someone in college and got away with it.

You weren't there.

Winston is the truth. He's gonna be a top 10 QB in the next 2 years.

if you can believe it

No. We see that the team has peaked a few years ago and that if we want to make the playoffs we need to rebuild.

Let me ask you. Do you believe an NFL team should never rebuild? And if not what would make you want to do so?

Cosell is 100 percent correct

So cut our QB and nobody is available on the draft to help? Just give up?

Would he like Pegula to sell the team to Bon Jersey too?

He may or may not be right about TT, but one thing for sure is that he is a national media guy doing the bidding of large market owners and running down the Bills all the time.

Let me guess......if the Pats ke JG....genius! If they trade him.....genius! If they let him walk in a year.......genius!

No. We see that the team has peaked a few years ago and that if we want to make the playoffs we need to rebuild.

Let me ask you. Do you believe an NFL team should never rebuild? And if not what would make you want to do so?

Players that without question could play there part on a SB winning team:

Watkins Shady, Glenn, incog, Dareus, Miller, Clay, Kyle, assuming Shaq, P Brown, Darby, Wood or Groy are not stars but not everyone will be.

That is 12 of 22 starting positions, without including pending FA like Gilmore and And Woods and without thinking hard. There are guys I left off that could easily step up. Only one of those guys is old and a couple others are getting there.

To blow that up would be a disgrace.

So cut our QB and nobody is available on the draft to help? Just give up?

Would he like Pegula to sell the team to Bon Jersey too?

He may or may not be right about TT, but one thing for sure is that he is a national media guy doing the bidding of large market owners and running down the Bills all the time.

Let me guess......if the Pats ke JG....genius! If they trade him.....genius! If they let him walk in a year.......genius!

Players that without question could play there part on a SB winning team:

Watkins Shady, Glenn, incog, Dareus, Miller, Clay, Kyle, assuming Shaq, P Brown, Darby, Wood or Groy are not stars but not everyone will be.

That is 12 of 22 starting positions, without including pending FA like Gilmore and And Woods and without thinking hard. There are guys I left off that could easily step up. Only one of those guys is old and a couple others are getting there.

To blow that up would be a disgrace.

You are acting as if we made the playoffs last year.

2014 Bills 9 wins

2015 Bills 8 wins

2016 Bills 7 wins

My guess based on current free agency losses is that this next number will be 6. I don't need to blow up anything, Bills team is not that good. And you are just listing players. Every NFL team has players. Only 3-4 teams have much worse rosters than ours. We are what we are, drafting top ten and our talent will BE WORSE THIS YEAR.

Edited by jeffismagic

I would like to know Cosell's thoughts on Chad Kelly.

Depends on who picks him up.

Pats....Kelly will be better than his uncle.

Bills.....he is such a bad influence the team may need to be sold.

His analysis for other teams would be done on a sliding scale.