Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmore will get $14mm+

Absolutely he will. Guys like him don't hit the market often. I'd have to believe we could have franchised him then dealt him for a 3rd or 4th at least (we aren't getting a comp pick because we'll be adding in FA), but Doug loves to leave the agents with a good taste in their mouths as guys walk away, then the agents turn around and bend him over on extensions for the guys we do keep.

It just feels like a constant treadmill at this point, we use high draft resources on guys like Gilmore and Woods, they are just good enough to get more money elsewhere but not good enough to win anything for us, then we either lose on the comp pick game trying to find replacements in the market or we have to reinvest high draft picks in the same positions, meanwhile we leave the same holes in the roster year after year (QB obviously being the biggest one).

The official legal tampering period begins at noon today.

And the unoffical illegal tampering period has been going on for a month.

Absolutely he will. Guys like him don't hit the market often. I'd have to believe we could have franchised him then dealt him for a 3rd or 4th at least (we aren't getting a comp pick because we'll be adding in FA), but Doug loves to leave the agents with a good taste in their mouths as guys walk away, then the agents turn around and bend him over on extensions for the guys we do keep.

It just feels like a constant treadmill at this point, we use high draft resources on guys like Gilmore and Woods, they are just good enough to get more money elsewhere but not good enough to win anything for us, then we either lose on the comp pick game trying to find replacements in the market or we have to reinvest high draft picks in the same positions, meanwhile we leave the same holes in the roster year after year (QB obviously being the biggest one).

And the unoffical illegal tampering period has been going on for a month.

What don't you guys understand about a salary cap? We have 20+ mill cap room and everyone insists it's a ridiculous move by to let Gilmore go. Let me guess....you hate Whaley? We have 22+ free agents. We just cut 3 people yesterday. How do you expect we replace these 25 players if we use over half of our cap room on Gilmore?

Maybe we could've gotten a 7th rd pick for Gilmore if we franchised him. Not sure why anytime would give us a 3rd or 4th rd pick in what might be the best CB class ever for the rights to pay Gilmore 15+ a yr when they can just sign him next year or draft a cb this year while paying him 900k....and there's a chance the cb they draft isn't afraid to tackle.

Yes, it sucks to let good players leave and get nothing in return. I get it. Losing Byrd, Levotre, Searcy really ruined our team didn't it? Imagine if we had paid Byrd and Levitre the ransom they were asking for? Byrd was a multiple pro bowler and actually may have been top 5 at his position. Gilmore had never been top 5 and imo isn't worth the money he's asking for. spendijg over half of our cap room on a top 15 cb while we have to fill 25+ spots is asinine imo

Edited by NewEra

What don't you guys understand about a salary cap? We have 20+ mill cap room and everyone insists it's a ridiculous move by to let Gilmore go. Let me guess....you hate Whaley? We have 22+ free agents. We just cut 3 people yesterday. How do you expect we replace these 25 players if we use over half of our cap room on Gilmore?

Can we ask for a loan?

Wow

@tompelissero

#Chargers cut D.J. Fluker, as others said. If he's a guard, add him to market where 4 (Leary, Zeitler, Lang, Warford) expected to get paid.

@albertbreer

Chargers' firing of DJ Fluker also is a reminder that the 5th-year options on rookie deals very much remain options after they're picked up.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Truth be told I'm fine with all the old guys and any other FAs going to the Pats. They are going to beat us and everyone else with or without them. Rather load up on one team than spread them out to other WC contenders.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ughhh...both Adrian Peterson and Brandon Marshall both possibly interested in going to the Pats. According to the Dan Patrick show.

Everybody is interested in going to the Pats*. I'd be more surprised if they weren't.

Maybe we could've gotten a 7th rd pick for Gilmore if we franchised him. Not sure why anytime would give us a 3rd or 4th rd pick in what might be the best CB class ever for the rights to pay Gilmore 15+ a yr when they can just sign him next year or draft a cb this year while paying him 900k....and there's a chance the cb they draft isn't afraid to tackle.

Yes, it sucks to let good players leave and get nothing in return. I get it. Losing Byrd, Levotre, Searcy really ruined our team didn't it? Imagine if we had paid Byrd and Levitre the ransom they were asking for? Byrd was a multiple pro bowler and actually may have been top 5 at his position. Gilmore had never been top 5 and imo isn't worth the money he's asking for. spendijg over half of our cap room on a top 15 cb while we have to fill 25+ spots is asinine imo

Whaley is on record as saying he wants to prioritize QB - WR - LT - Pass Rusher - CB as the backbone of our roster. It's a perfectly reasonable way to build and popular around the league. However our money is going to RB, TE, 2 Safeties we need to replace & DTs. I'm not a Whaley hater, but what we are doing clearly isn't working. Simply put I'd rather move on from Clay / Kyle Williams / Aaron Williams / Graham than Gilmore, but I understand that's an unpopular sentiment, especially with the crowd still crying in their cheerios about Fred leaving. I completely understand the danger in overpaying a corner, but we've got ~$50 mil in precious cap space tied up in several guys who won't likely be on the team in 2018, much less 2019.

Whaley is on record as saying he wants to prioritize QB - WR - LT - Pass Rusher - CB as the backbone of our roster. It's a perfectly reasonable way to build and popular around the league. However our money is going to RB, TE, 2 Safeties we need to replace & DTs. I'm not a Whaley hater, but what we are doing clearly isn't working. Simply put I'd rather move on from Clay / Kyle Williams / Aaron Williams / Graham than Gilmore, but I understand that's an unpopular sentiment, especially with the crowd still crying in their cheerios about Fred leaving. I completely understand the danger in overpaying a corner, but we've got ~$50 mil in precious cap space tied up in several guys who won't likely be on the team in 2018, much less 2019.

What we're doing isnt working? Clearly. And who has been the architect of what we've been doing?

We can't move on from clay. The dead money is too much. Cutting him wouldn't net us any money this year. AW and Graham may be gone regardless of Gilmore. I get that it sucks to let our young players go but at some point we have to. We've locked up our QB (most likely anyway), LT (paid big money for Glenn), pass rusher (Hughes and spent a 1st on Lawson). We traded up for the WR (who will need to get paid next year). Marcel Dareus got paid (if we let him go, we'd be able to sign Gilmore, but we kept him and didn't allow a great young talent to leave for nothing). CB is the only position you listed that Whaley hasn't locked up or drafted high. We have a possible young stud in Darby who will be up in 2 years. Not sure you can say Whaley hasn't addressed his backbone positions. Clays contract sucks. No question. Shady is our best player. Sure, he's getting paid, but he's an absolute stud, and imo, is well worth it for this team.

Yes, it sucks to lose good young players, but every team does. Free agency is what it is and we will lose good talent just like every other team. It sucks that clays contract is keeping us from keeping Gilmore but there's nothing that can be done with clays contract this year. No one is trading for him and we can't cut him. With the current free agents/cap situation we are in, keeping Gilmore would cripple us from signing even one good free agent other than him. Signing Gilmore basically ensures us of having the worst depth in football. The 21 of 24 other roster spots would be filled with UDFA's, vet minimums and our draft picks.

Seems as if your posts underlying theme is whaley sucks because he signed Clay and McCoy. The reason we have to let Gilmore go is because Whaley didn't let a lot of our talent leave (Dareus, Glenn, Hughes, Tyrod, incognito, AW, KW, wood) while trying to add playmakers. One is allpro. The other isn't used enough.

We can't move on from clay. The dead money is too much. Cutting him wouldn't net us any money this year. AW and Graham may be gone regardless of Gilmore. I get that it sucks to let our young players go but at some point we have to. We've locked up our QB (most likely anyway), LT (paid big money for Glenn), pass rusher (Hughes and spent a 1st on Lawson). We traded up for the WR (who will need to get paid next year). Marcel Dareus got paid (if we let him go, we'd be able to sign Gilmore, but we kept him and didn't allow a great young talent to leave for nothing). CB is the only position you listed that Whaley hasn't locked up or drafted high. We have a possible young stud in Darby who will be up in 2 years. Not sure you can say Whaley hasn't addressed his backbone positions. Clays contract sucks. No question. Shady is our best player. Sure, he's getting paid, but he's an absolute stud, and imo, is well worth it for this team.

Yes, it sucks to lose good young players, but every team does. Free agency is what it is and we will lose good talent just like every other team. It sucks that clays contract is keeping us from keeping Gilmore but there's nothing that can be done with clays contract this year. No one is trading for him and we can't cut him. With the current free agents/cap situation we are in, keeping Gilmore would cripple us from signing even one good free agent other than him. Signing Gilmore basically ensures us of having the worst depth in football. The 21 of 24 other roster spots would be filled with UDFA's, vet minimums and our draft picks.

Seems as if your posts underlying theme is whaley sucks because he signed Clay and McCoy. The reason we have to let Gilmore go is because Whaley didn't let a lot of our talent leave (Dareus, Glenn, Hughes, Tyrod, incognito, AW, KW, wood) while trying to add playmakers. One is allpro. The other isn't used enough.

Whaley has done an admirable job of adding talent to the roster. He's hit on a lot of his draft picks and our talent level has risen dramatically under his watch. My major point is between Tyrod - Clay - Kyle - Graham - Aaron Williams we have A LOT of money tied up in guys who haven't gotten us to the playoffs and likely won't be here when we do make it. We let Gilmore walk because of that situation and now need to use a high draft pick to replace him instead of addressing some holes like RT and WR, not to mention finding long term replacements for the safeties or Kyle. My major point is "depth" isn't what is separating us from the playoffs and signing 2-3 guys combined for what Gilmore would cost us on the tag isn't closing the gap, especially if it's guys like Kamar Aiken and Jack Crawford (perfectly fine players, but not well above replacement level). Best case we find Zach Brown 2.0 who is just going to walk after a strong season or worst case we sign Chris Williams and light money on fire.

We let a guy walk who could be a key member of the team for the next 3+ seasons because we've got money tied up on guys who won't be. The major sin by Whaley (and it's one that may have been done too him instead of by him) is switching schemes from coaches twice in the last three years and creating a moving target on what talent we do need. We've been pressing with an "all in" approach the last 3 seasons and Gilmore is the first major casualty to go. We are going to reach a point soon where we need to reset anyway, I just would have preferred it was done with a guy who could have still been around when we found a solution instead of guys who won't be.