Should the Bills cut Kyle Williams to clear cap space?

YoloinOhio

Should the Bills cut Kyle Williams to save cap space?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of making Kyle a cap casualty?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm too busy worrying about the QB situation, ask me on March 12

Kyle is 34 and in the last year of his contract. He has played well and it goes without saying he's at or near the top of the list of most Bills fans favorite players. The Bills could save 8.3 million the cap by cutting him. Yet, I don't think its a Fred Jackson situation. Kyle may have been the best player on the defense last year. The cap number looms large, however, as we approach FA with more than a few holes and new systems on both sides of the ball to accomodate. I am torn. I want him to just restructure or take a pay cut, but not sure how realistic that is.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle is 34 and in the last year of his contract. He has played well and it goes without saying he's at or near the top of the list of most Bills fans favorite players. The Bills could save 8.3 million the cap by cutting him. Yet, I don't think its a Fred Jackson situation. Kyle may have been the best player on the defense last year. The cap number looms large, however, as we approach FA with more than a few holes and new systems on both sides of the ball to accomodate. I am torn. I want him to just restructure or take a pay cut, but not sure how realistic that is.

I'm not sure if it would be a huge deal for a restructure, he's been willing to do them through his career so far, hopefully that doesn't change.

If we extend him, don't we lower his hit?

Cutting Freddy proved to be a mistake and he was on his last legs. Cutting a leader who is still playing at a high level would be crazy.

He may be the best influence on Dareus in that locker room. Cutting Kyle would lose us Dareus, potentially.

Cutting Freddy proved to be a mistake and he was on his last legs. Cutting a leader who is still playing at a high level would be crazy.

He may be the best influence on Dareus in that locker room. Cutting Kyle would lose us Dareus, potentially.

great answer

Sure! Sign him to a 6 year extention, give him 12 million bonus and league minimum guaranteed, and he will likely retire after this season, but only be like a 2.5m hit this season. That gives us another 6 million in cap room, which could allow them to re-sign Gilmore, as well as Tyrod.

Most likely league rules against such a contract, though.

I'm not sure that's a feather in his cap, based on how Dareus has behaved over the years. But i'd like to restructure and keep him. Cut Graham and Carpenter saves us around $9mm right there. Restructure a few more deals and we have plenty of space.

The Bills should do the honorable thing by either trading him for next to nothing to a playoff team such as Dallas or allow him to go to a playoff ready team he prefers to go to. Although KW has had an illustrious career he never has played in a playoff game. That is a sad commentary on this ramshackle organization. Kyle should be unshackled and allowed to have a chance to experience a playoff game or more. It's not going to happen here. That' a shame. It's a disgrace and an embarrassment.

I'm not sure that's a feather in his cap, based on how Dareus has behaved over the years. But i'd like to restructure and keep him. Cut Graham and Carpenter saves us around $9mm right there. Restructure a few more deals and we have plenty of space.

Dareus will always be responsible for his own actions, but Kyle is a positive influence on him in the locker room. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

The point being that losing Kyle could potentially have Dareus behave worse. Not to mention, we've seen how unruly this team can get when things get tough. We need more leaders, not less.

Dareus will always be responsible for his own actions, but Kyle is a positive influence on him in the locker room. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

The point being that losing Kyle could potentially have Dareus behave worse. Not to mention, we've seen how unruly this team can get when things get tough. We need more leaders, not less.

Because Dareus hasn't shown us any reason to believe that. This is not meant to be a knock at KW, I just think you are overstating the leadership deal. KW is one of my favorite players, sign him because of him, not somebody else.

The Bills should do the honorable thing by either trading him for next to nothing to a playoff team such as Dallas or allow him to go to a playoff ready team he prefers to go to. Although KW has had an illustrious career he never has played in a playoff game. That is a sad commentary on this ramshackle organization. Kyle should be unshackled and allowed to have a chance to experience a playoff game or more. It's not going to happen here. That' a shame. It's a disgrace and an embarrassment.

I don't think he'd go John. I think it is Buffalo or retirement.

Because Dareus hasn't shown us any reason to believe that. This is not meant to be a knock at KW, I just think you are overstating the leadership deal. KW is one of my favorite players, sign him because of him, not somebody else.

How do you "show" someone is a positive influence?

depends on how badly he wants to have a shot at the playoffs.

How do you "show" someone is a positive influence?

by responding to his 'leadership' skills and becoming a better teammate?

depends on how badly he wants to have a shot at the playoffs.

I might be wrong but I think he wants to get this team he has sweat blood and tears for for over a decade there. I don't think getting there just to say he has been with another team would hold any interest at all for him. If the Bills say "no more" my guess is Kyle hangs them up.

Edited by GunnerBill

I respectfully disagree. If a sweetheart deal was made with Dallas and he was given a chance to finish his career on a playoff team I think that he would initially have ambivalent feelings but would embrace playing on a team that plays meaningful games at the end of the season followed by playoff games, something he hasn't ever experienced.

He is a terrific person and player. He has had a very distinguished career. Someone like him doesn't deserve to finish his career on a team whose outcome for the season is predictable. This southerner deserves better than what this northern franchise is capable of giving him. He should be set free and have the opportunity to experience playing in post season games.