The Six Most-Likely Scenarios for a Bills Trade-Down

Astrobot

My "#DraftTek Bills Fan Club" asked me, "What would be the targets for other teams at the Bills' #10?"

The answer took me an hour, but I needed to know. It was a great question. Next week's Combine can change the names involved, but team picks and needs will remain the same. I considered six scenarios:

The ILB Intrigue:
Detroit #20 or Miami #21 wants ILB Reuben Foster, but New Orleans wants him at #11. Either trade up to #10 to get him.

The QB Quandary:
CLE and SF have QB as #1 need. Cleveland drafts Garrett at 1, not QB, signaling intention to draft QB with other RD1 at #12.
ARI#13 or WAS#17 trades up for QB of choice at #10.

The OT Onslaught:
CLE takes QB at #12, signaling their 2nd offense priority (OT) may be #12 pick.
Philly at #15 wants OT in thin market, TB#19, NYG#23 thinking the same thing.

The Peppers Caper
CHI#3 takes SS JAdams, Jets#6 take Hooker, Peppers is there at #10.
Cleve #12, Wash#17, Ten #18, TB#19, leapfrog to call Whaley.

The McKinley Mindbender:
BAL#16 wants to get ahead of Indy#14 to select their EDGE rusher McKinley. They call Whaley.
But WAS#17, MIA#22 also interested, and they call Whaley. Doug has them bidding against each other.

The CB/S Scenario:
CHI#3 or TEN#5 takes Humphrey, (NYJ#6 goes QB), you know CLE#12 may take their top D priority, a S or CB.
Peppers or Lattimore is going off board at #12.
PHI#15, WAS#17, DET#21, SEA#26, DAL#28 leapfrog to call Whaley for the #10.

Let me know your thoughts about the plausibility of these.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "#DraftTek Bills Fan Club" asked me, "What would be the targets for other teams at the Bills' #10?"

The answer took me an hour, but I needed to know. It was a great question. Next week's Combine can change the names involved, but team picks and needs will remain the same. I considered six scenarios:

The ILB Intrigue:

Detroit #20 or Miami #21 wants ILB Reuben Foster, but New Orleans wants him at #11. Either trade up to #10 to get him.

I suppose that's plausible, but I don't see teams being eager to trade up for a MLB, nor do I think all of Tennessee, LAC, and Cincinnati would pass on Foster

The QB Quandary:

CLE and SF have QB as #1 need. Cleveland drafts Garrett at 1, not QB, signaling intention to draft QB with other RD1 at #12.

ARI#13 or WAS#17 trades up for QB of choice at #10.

By far the most likely scenario IMO...I'd also add Houston and NYG as teams that could come up for a QB

The OT Onslaught:

CLE takes QB at #12, signaling their 2nd offense priority (OT) may be #12 pick.

Philly at #15 wants OT in thin market, TB#19, NYG#23 thinking the same thing.

I don't see Philly posing enough of a threat to take an OT given that they have Peters and Lane Johnson. I also don't see teams moving up for a tackle in a weak draft.

The Peppers Caper

CHI#3 takes SS JAdams, Jets#6 take Hooker, Peppers is there at #10.

Cleve #12, Wash#17, Ten #18, TB#19, leapfrog to call Whaley.

That would shock me to see a team move up for Peppers--he just isn't spectacular at any one thing, and there's value in a guy like Budda Baker to be had simply by staying put.

The McKinley Mindbender:

BAL#16 wants to get ahead of Indy#14 to select their EDGE rusher McKinley. They call Whaley.

But WAS#17, MIA#22 also interested, and they call Whaley. Doug has them bidding against each other.

EDGE seems too deep to move up this year...if you're desperate for a pass rusher, you can sit at 16 and take the best of Barnett, Charlton, Tim Williams, TJ Watt, or Ryan Anderson.

The CB/S Scenario:

CHI#3 or TEN#5 takes Humphrey, (NYJ#6 goes QB), you know CLE#12 may take their top D priority, a S or CB.

Peppers or Lattimore is going off board at #12.

PHI#15, WAS#17, DET#21, SEA#26, DAL#28 leapfrog to call Whaley for the #10.

I could definitely see that, especially if a team felt that there was a big dropoff between the top 2 corners (let's call them Lattimore and Sidney Jones) and the next guy on the board (say, TreDavious White or M. Humphrey)

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I would love the Bills to start trading down more to acquire more picks. If I were a GM that is the approach I would take. It gives you so much flexibility. Personally I would be fine with taking one of Hooker, Adams, Foster, Mike Williams or on of the top 3 QB'S at 10 but I wouldn't mind a trade down as well.

I don't see ANY scenario where someone is trading up for Peppers. In fact, those teams may have a shot at him with their 2nd round pick. He's a guy that has been falling throughout the process. He's a positionless athlete.

I also think Lattimore is the first CB off the board (as high as 3). There is CB depth so I don't see a trade up there either.

QB could be an area where someone will trade up. That's the best bet.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't see ANY scenario where someone is trading up for Peppers. In fact, those teams may have a shot at him with their 2nd round pick. He's a guy that has been falling throughout the process. He's a positionless athlete.

I also think Lattimore is the first CB off the board (as high as 3). There is CB depth so I don't see a trade up there either.

QB could be an area where someone will trade up. That's the best bet.

Agreed. If someone is trading up it's for one of the top 2 WRs or a QB, every other position else has depth and isn't that top heavy.

Agreed. If someone is trading up it's for one of the top 2 WRs or a QB, every other position else has depth and isn't that top heavy.

Agree with this too. I think that you are dead on with the guys that people may move up for. If one of the receivers is gone people will be trying to get ahead of us I would think. I'm not sure that we are a trade target for a team that wants Davis or Williams (if one is gone).

I suppose I could see Foster as some may perceive a big drop off but they'd have to be VERY high on him and very low on guys like Zach Cunningham to invest the price to get him. I could see someone maybe going up a few spots and conceding a 2nd but no one is going to spend more than that (even still it feels unlikely).

QB is certainly a possibility.

Bro im starting to assume you are actually Fosters agent in disguise! :lol::lol:

Future Pro-Bowler?

He's probably my #2 choice at pick 10 behind Garrett (who'll never get to 10). After him it's Adams, Allen, Hooker, Lattimore, Davis, Williams, Thomas. Worst nightmare for me is all 9 of them gone before 10

He's probably my #2 choice at pick 10 behind Garrett (who'll never get to 10). After him it's Adams, Allen, Hooker, Lattimore, Davis, Williams, Thomas. Worst nightmare for me is all 9 of them gone before 10

If it falls that way and Whaley goes QB at #10 who you want between Trubisky or Watson