Off-season (QB) Plan

wilsonbc

1) No team will trade for Taylor with his existing contract.

2) Dallas may get something for Romo, but will likely end up having to take a lesser pick or outright release him. They sure aren't getting a 2nd rounder for him at this point. His salary and injury history make him a huge risk. I'd look elsewhere.

3) Whaley wanted to see what they had in Jones and he wanted Taylor on the bench where he couldn't get injured. Don't read more into the situation than that. I do agree that they need to keep bringing him along.

4) WR should absolutely be in play at 10.

5) Agree. Finding a RT in FA is a necessity. It's a very weak draft for offensive tackles.

6) It'll be interesting to see what McD does with this defense. Retaining or replacing Gilmore is likely very important.

7) Health is always important, but building depth helps weather injuries. Finding a franchise caliber QB sure helps too. I don't think it should be Romo or Taylor, but they sure need to try to find one.

Or OJ Howard... A few mocks I've seen have us taking him at 10... Most versatile weapon in the draft... Line him up at TE, No Linebacker/SS can cover him.... Line him up at WR, and no corner can elevate high enough to challenge his 6'6" frame..... OJ Howard @ 10 seems like a no-brainer to me...

Edited by #34fan

Or OJ Howard... A few mocks I've seen have us taking him at 10... Most versatile weapon in the draft... Line him up at TE, No Linebacker/SS can cover him.... Line him up at WR, and no corner can elevate high enough to challenge his 6'6" frame..... OJ Howard @ 10 seems like a no-brainer to me...

I'd have zero problem with OJ Howard becoming a Bill.

You'll never know if Cardale can develop unless you start and play him, which should have occurred the final games of last season.

this should have happened THE MOMENT that the organization felt that tyrod was not "the guy".

I'd have zero problem with OJ Howard becoming a Bill.

i like this idea quite a bit. as long as this does not impede the quest for the ever elusive "franchise qb".

I keep hearing that the bills want to move on from Tyrod given what his option would do to our already strapped salary cap position for the next couple of years. In addition, there are reports that Whaley wants C. Jones to start or be the quarterback of the future. However, he is clearly a "project". We know that there is a small supply of starting caliber qb's in the NFL. We also know the bills don't have a plethora of draft choices this year. Lastly, virtually every expert would agree that Tony Romo is a better/more dangerous quarterback than Taylor, when healthy. There were reports that Jerry wanted to play him over Dak in the playoffs!

Here is a plan that might make sense for 2017 and beyond:

1) trade Tyrod Taylor before his option bonus kicks in to a Qb needy team, particularly one that wants a mobile Qb. If you don't think he could fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick then you haven't been paying attention to the trade and financial cost of qbs in the NFL over the last few years.

2) aggressively pursue Tony Romo in a trade. I don't love him. I know he is fragile. However, allegedly he will only be dealt to the AFC, his salary is low ($14.5 mil for 2017), and he wouldn't be the long term solution. The cost is reported to be a 2nd round pick with conditions. In this scenario, you get Romo for Tyrod. The trade cost to get Romo would not result in further depleting our small draft pick allotment. And better yet, no money locked up in our starting Qb in 2017 and beyond.

3) tell the world that C. Jones is the future franchise Qb, but he isn't ready yet. Give him plenty of practice reps (as Romo will need down time during the week). Let him develop and evaluate him after the 2017 season

4) draft the best available wr at #10 and tell Romo to entice him to accept a trade here. Romo might like McCoy, a healthy Clay, Watkins and a big, talented (and most importantly, cheap) Wr stud from the draft. Have you seen what the projections for Woods or any other WR2 are in this upcoming FA market????

5) find a solid veteran starting RT in the FA market. RT's are far more affordable than Wr in the FA market.

6) get healthy on D, use draft picks wisely and let McDermitt do his thing. We will be better on D this year. Can't be much worse.

7) cross your fingers on health in 2017. If Romo stays heathy then the bills offense is certainly playoff caliber. And certainly better than last season. Romo and his health are a good fit for a quick passing west coast offense. And we have a very strong running game. If Romo gets hurt then C. Jones takes over and you can cut Romo with no salary cap ramifications and tack a new course next year. And we may be bad enough to get a high draft pick.

Thoughts???

This is good for a 5th post. But...

#1. Trading TT would be difficult.

#2. Just because we "aggressively" pursue a trade for Romo doesn't mean we'll get him. There are a lot of QB-hungry teams that would compete with us if Dallas was willing to make a deal. And Romo might veto a trade to Buffalo. He's accustomed to a newer, shinier city and a much different climate.

#3. Why would we 'tell the world' that CJ will be our QB of the future when it's likely that he's not? What's the benefit?

#4. Drafting a WR would not entice Romo to play in Buffalo. A new domed stadium could add a little interest. A fat contract might too. But an unproven, rookie QB won't mean squat to a veteran on the edge of retirement.

#5. I agree with this wholeheartedly. Every fan in WNY agrees. The parking lot attendants at OBD agree. We need a RT.

#6. Get healthy on D? How can anyone argue with that? But how do we get healthy? Maybe Whaley should spend the offseason in medical school. And let McDermott do his thing? Geez, I hope so. I hope we didn't hire McD to do Rex's thing. Not sure what the point is here.

#7. No one knows the future but it seems probable that if Romo is your starter, your backup is going to see a lot of playing time. Based on what I saw from CJ last season, going into 2017 with CJ as Romo's backup would scare the heck out of me.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I keep hearing that the bills want to move on from Tyrod given what his option would do to our already strapped salary cap position for the next couple of years. In addition, there are reports that Whaley wants C. Jones to start or be the quarterback of the future. However, he is clearly a "project". We know that there is a small supply of starting caliber qb's in the NFL. We also know the bills don't have a plethora of draft choices this year. Lastly, virtually every expert would agree that Tony Romo is a better/more dangerous quarterback than Taylor, when healthy. There were reports that Jerry wanted to play him over Dak in the playoffs!

Here is a plan that might make sense for 2017 and beyond:

1) trade Tyrod Taylor before his option bonus kicks in to a Qb needy team, particularly one that wants a mobile Qb. If you don't think he could fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick then you haven't been paying attention to the trade and financial cost of qbs in the NFL over the last few years.

2) aggressively pursue Tony Romo in a trade. I don't love him. I know he is fragile. However, allegedly he will only be dealt to the AFC, his salary is low ($14.5 mil for 2017), and he wouldn't be the long term solution. The cost is reported to be a 2nd round pick with conditions. In this scenario, you get Romo for Tyrod. The trade cost to get Romo would not result in further depleting our small draft pick allotment. And better yet, no money locked up in our starting Qb in 2017 and beyond.

3) tell the world that C. Jones is the future franchise Qb, but he isn't ready yet. Give him plenty of practice reps (as Romo will need down time during the week). Let him develop and evaluate him after the 2017 season

4) draft the best available wr at #10 and tell Romo to entice him to accept a trade here. Romo might like McCoy, a healthy Clay, Watkins and a big, talented (and most importantly, cheap) Wr stud from the draft. Have you seen what the projections for Woods or any other WR2 are in this upcoming FA market????

5) find a solid veteran starting RT in the FA market. RT's are far more affordable than Wr in the FA market.

6) get healthy on D, use draft picks wisely and let McDermitt do his thing. We will be better on D this year. Can't be much worse.

7) cross your fingers on health in 2017. If Romo stays heathy then the bills offense is certainly playoff caliber. And certainly better than last season. Romo and his health are a good fit for a quick passing west coast offense. And we have a very strong running game. If Romo gets hurt then C. Jones takes over and you can cut Romo with no salary cap ramifications and tack a new course next year. And we may be bad enough to get a high draft pick.

Thoughts???

Yore an idiot.

maybe some sort of Frankenstein thing and make one uber Quarterback out of Tyrod and Cardale. A running throwing machine able to leap tall stadiums in a single bound, faster than a speeding linebacker and more powerful than......

Edited by iinii

Thanks for the encouragement. I may just do that. I have a ton of uncharted and ground breaking ground to cover on Tyrod, Romo, and even Cardale.

that could be a dozen new qb threads right there. and i will read every single one of them! i may even be so inclined to make a sarcastic remark or two. and in one of them i might, just might...contribute a lucid thought!

Tyrod- hasn't shown me he can perform in the clutch with the game on the line. This is 3 or 4 potential W's to L's every season. It hurts because I really like him..but I watched the 4th quarters of the first Miami, Oakland, Pittsburgh games and the throws just weren't timely or accurate in the clutch. I would still be cheering like hell every Sunday if the Bills kept him -- but I would know deep down that the Bills ceiling with Tyrod at the helm is a wild card and a first round loss.

Options:

Heavy Game Experience: -

Romo- He's played in 5 regular season games in the last 2 years. His injuries have been upper body ones. He is a really, really good QB who's time has passed and in many ways he is also not great in clutch. He is almost a sure bet to throw an INT with the game on line.

Cutler - will be on the market..again not a clutch performer and fragile. See Romo's last line...

Alex Smith - Andy Reid said Friday that Smith is the Chiefs QB next year

Josh McCown- now 37 years old, never played a full season

Fitz- Will rip your guts out at the wrong time but out of this list if I wanted a 1 year stopgap -- he would be my choice.

Promising Potential: If the Bills sign/acquire one of these guys -- they are committing for the next 3-5 years. They are also committing to develop Cardale and have him realistically compete for the job in 2018 or 2019 after spending 2017 as a back-up.

AJ McCarron - Worry about arm strength still but a really good game manager and accurate

Mike Glennon- Still young. Tall, Rangy, nice arm, accurate. Got killed his first two years in TB. Will likely come fairly cheap. Does not cost a draft pick.

Jimmy Garrapolo - there is no way Belichick trades him within the division so not realistic

This year's Draft...Watson, Turbisky, Mahomes, Kizer, Kaaya, Webb

Bills will need too much help other places to commit the #1 to this. McDermott will want a DT, LB or Box Safety with pick 1 because they are the key to his Defense. If Kizer drops to round 2 -- I hope Bills are all over this. He had a bad year last year..but ND was playing constantly from behind and Kelly didn't mix the passing game as he did in 2015 when Kizer shined (2015 was a mix of west coast slants and deep outs, middle to the TE, etc) 2016 was more one dimensional. He is accurate and sees the field, but when the opposition only has to defend down the field its easier.

There is no reason the Bills can't combine Glennon, Jones and Kizer..and what tremendous assets these might offer for rebuilding....It would be nice to be a QB seller at trade time than always having to be a buyer...

I was sold on Tyrod initially, but after two years of watching "swing games" completely agree with this statement ... you pay big money for a guy the team believes can pull the game out for you. Tyrod has not proven he can do this remotely consistently. I can't believe I'm typing this ... but of all the guys on this well written overview of options .... AARRGGGHHHH .... Cutler ,,, only if reasonable contract?? I'll take a few INT's if we can stretch the field .... 12 INT's in two years for Tyrod is another dink/dunk QB. You may recall, another former Bears QB (and of many other teams before the Bills) Orton brought us 9 wins a few years ago ... Tyrod with better offensive weapons (granted D sucked under Rex) has not delivered in the clutch.

Don't reach at #10 for a QB ... take sure fire playmaker ... given the Russell Wilson's / Dak Prescott beyond Round 1 in recent history ... let's wait. Remember Goff last year ... UGGGHHH.