Pegulas Spending $$$ on Improvements at New Era Field

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much land do these buildings sit on, and where are they located? It doesn't sound like the value is in the improvements, but the land is critical, correct?

Could be, depends. They certainly arent big enough to house a new stadium. More like offices and businesses between the arena and where the new stadium will be. I could see PSE moving into them, and/or they being a major part in a Foxboro-like complex.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/11/no-stadium-discussions/ im in the minority.. but i say .. stay at OP.. JMHO

They have a few more years to get the team winning, then they can start talking publicly about the new stadium. But as someone who is at OBD at least a couple times a month, the future downtown stadium is always eluded to as an inevitability.

They have a few more years to get the team winning, then they can start talking publicly about the new stadium. But as someone who is at OBD at least a couple times a month, the future downtown stadium is always eluded to as an inevitability.

i know.. just in denial.. just fear an antiseptic friggin dome.. no personality..

i know.. just in denial.. just fear an antiseptic friggin dome.. no personality..

The ideal example is Lucas Oil Field. Built for only $750mil, and it was designed to blend in with the industrial warehouses that surrounded it.

And it's not like New Era has a ton of personality, just a lot of history. But it's basically a big, cold cement bowl in the ground. Especially when compared to the old War Memorial, but now you love New Era, so folks will eventually come around.

The ideal example is Lucas Oil Field. Built for only $750mil, and it was designed to blend in with the industrial warehouses that surrounded it.

And it's not like New Era has a ton of personality, just a lot of history. But it's basically a big, cold cement bowl in the ground. Especially when compared to the old War Memorial, but now you love New Era, so folks will eventually come around.

its a great place to watch a game and i know you know all about that and the tailgating. just hate to lose the outdoor experience i suppose.. im old school.. domes bring it down .. again.. just my opinion.. i hate to see the game that i grew up with be taken away ..

Edited by dwight in philly

its a great place to watch a game and i know you know all about that and the tailgating. just hate to lose the outdoor experience i suppose.. im old school.. domes bring it down .. again.. just my opinion.. i hate to see the game that i grew up with be taken away ..

i dont disagree, lot of good times there. but frankly, id rather go back to the FOOTBALL being the main draw instead of the debauchery in the parking lots. give me a winning team i can have fun watching, i can stand outside and drink anytime i want. :thumbsup:

i dont disagree, lot of good times there. but frankly, id rather go back to the FOOTBALL being the main draw instead of the debauchery in the parking lots. give me a winning team i can have fun watching, i can stand outside and drink anytime i want. :thumbsup:

i agree no doubt about that. a few beers and dogs.. used to be the norm.. a few have wrecked it and not trying to be be the "get off my lawn": guy but its a shame .. i would love a heinz field

open air if it has to be downtown.. but again realize the realities ..

Edited by dwight in philly

"Assessed" does NOT equal "appraised". Assessments are only used for tax purposes and more often than not do not reflect the value of the property, only what the Tax Assessors office uses for calculating tax income.

But good to see them buying up properties down there to get the area ready for the coming stadium complex.

You can request a re-assessment, but there is a formula and percentage the Tax Assessor uses no matter who/what the building is. There is no negotiating your assessment.

This is a commercial property. Hit is obviously intentionally under assessed. This is why the Pegula group is pissed that the deal was made public.

The value of the property is what Pegula paid for it. He essentially bought a tax free building and doesn't want the taxpayers knowing this.

I understand that fear, but there are ways to make it better. The Georgia Dome is the epitome of all things bad in a dome. The Mercedes Benz Dome next door looks like it will be super cool. All it takes is good design (and, of course, a boat load of money!). It will never be the same, but it could still be very good.

I understand that fear, but there are ways to make it better. The Georgia Dome is the epitome of all things bad in a dome. The Mercedes Benz Dome next door looks like it will be super cool. All it takes is good design (and, of course, a boat load of money!). It will never be the same, but it could still be very good.

i suppose .. and you are right about the georgia dome.. cant fathom that in downtown buffalo and enduring a game after what generations have been used to in buffalo.. your pic speaks what i remember fondly

This is a commercial property. Hit is obviously intentionally under assessed. This is why the Pegula group is pissed that the deal was made public.

The value of the property is what Pegula paid for it. He essentially bought a tax free building and doesn't want the taxpayers knowing this.

Do we know why it is assessed so low? What was the previous use? Property taxes work very differently in different places. It's entirely possible the future taxes will change dramatically after this transaction closes. Happens all the time. I'd guess they wanted it private more to conceal future plans than people being upset they are not paying enough in taxes.

i suppose .. and you are right about the georgia dome.. cant fathom that in downtown buffalo and enduring a game after what generations have been used to in buffalo.. your pic speaks what i remember fondly

I was back a few years ago and it touched my heart too see the entry gates still standing. Brought back many fond memories from my youth. (Among them was NOT the time I got separated from my family is a sketchy neighborhood trying to find the right chartered bus to get back home, but that's another story!)

Do we know why it is assessed so low? What was the previous use? Property taxes work very differently in different places. It's entirely possible the future taxes will change dramatically after this transaction closes. Happens all the time. I'd guess they wanted it private more to conceal future plans than people being upset they are not paying enough in taxes.

I was back a few years ago and it touched my heart too see the entry gates still standing. Brought back many fond memories from my youth. (Among them was NOT the time I got separated from my family is a sketchy neighborhood trying to find the right chartered bus to get back home, but that's another story!)

trust me i hear ya.. .. lots of memories .. i am a broken record when it comes to my aversion to a domed downtown stadium.. i think everyone has stated their respective cases very well on the various threads about it.. whatever happens .. happens obviously.. we shall see

trust me i hear ya.. .. lots of memories .. i am a broken record when it comes to my aversion to a domed downtown stadium.. i think everyone has stated their respective cases very well on the various threads about it.. whatever happens .. happens obviously.. we shall see

I'm okay inside as long as it has character. Augie's example is a good one, that place in Georgia didn't and the new one looks amazing. I like the warehouse feel and could get behind it, especially if they carry on the tradition of some of the famous cuisine. The detail will make or break it. It has to have soul. Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's home to 2 downtown businesses that are still headquartered (up to the sale) in the building. One of the businesses built the building a century and still call it home (wonder why they never moved...?).

And no, they were upset that the purchase price was revealed, not that the sale itself was revealed:

"The Pegulas' attorney argues that the purchase price of the building should never have been disclosed. That's because the Pegulas acquired the holding companies that own the building instead of buying the building itself. That way, they wouldn't have to record the purchase price on the deed, as most people who buy homes and buildings do."

"Gilbride claimed the transactions were actually a personal tax matter that is confidential under state law, because the couple essentially bought stock in the three companies rather than actually buying real estate."

Not hard to figure this one out. The building's value is added to significantly because of the tax assessment.

Edited by Mr. WEO