Buffalo had higher TV rating for SB than Boston and Atlanta

YoloinOhio

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

always scares me when I see Buffalo at top of TV ratings for every dang sports event ...feeds into the "nothing else/better to do" , especially for events where we ain't got a dog in the fight.

It's kinda true though. Bigger cities have more diversity in their activities do to around town. Just a fact of life, nothing to be ashamed about.

This just confirms what we already know. That Buffalo by far and away is the most tortured sports city in America. We are all huge sports fans and love our Buffalo teams...and we desperately want what we can't have.

This just confirms what we already know. That Buffalo by far and away is the most tortured sports city in America. We are all huge sports fans and love our Buffalo teams...and we desperately want what we can't have.

I agree. We can over analyze these numbers all we want, but you said it best. We can say Buffalo has nothing to do and go on and on but it doesn't speak to the truth. People in Buffalo enjoy drinking a beer and watching sports. People often mention all the things to do in other cities. Lets be honest, although there are exceptions to the rule your average beer drinking sports isn't going to be hanging out at an art gallery anyway. There are plenty of cultural offerings in Buffalo. Sure, there are more in bigger cities but how many people actually take advantage of those things anyway? The only exception could be places like Socal and Florida where people might rather spend a day at the beach. The average person goes home to their subdivision, goes to work, goes shopping, goes out for dinner and/or drink and occasionally goes to concerts or sporting events. This is the life of the average adult regardless of where they live. Buffalo just has more people who wanted to watch the Super Bowl. It's as simple as that. I don't think it's because the rest of the country had more exciting things to do at 6:30 on a Sunday evening.

I agree. We can over analyze these numbers all we want, but you said it best. We can say Buffalo has nothing to do and go on and on but it doesn't speak to the truth. People in Buffalo enjoy drinking a beer and watching sports. People often mention all the things to do in other cities. Lets be honest, although there are exceptions to the rule your average beer drinking sports isn't going to be hanging out at an art gallery anyway. There are plenty of cultural offerings in Buffalo. Sure, there are more in bigger cities but how many people actually take advantage of those things anyway? The only exception could be places like Socal and Florida where people might rather spend a day at the beach. The average person goes home to their subdivision, goes to work, goes shopping, goes out for dinner and/or drink and occasionally goes to concerts or sporting events. This is the life of the average adult regardless of where they live. Buffalo just has more people who wanted to watch the Super Bowl. It's as simple as that. I don't think it's because the rest of the country had more exciting things to do at 6:30 on a Sunday evening.

I'm thinking people do take advantage of those things in theirs cities, for many, that's why they choose to live there. People may choose to stay in Buffalo partly because of the sports. People live in bigger cities because of other options. I live in Phoenix, I'm always amazed at the activity all around, not just with sports. Every city is different, it's not a big deal.

Living in Pittsburgh and being a Bills and Penguins fan, I can personally attest that the best sports fans are in Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The Bills by FAR have the best football fans. No other fanbase would support the NFL or football with the playoff drought the Bills have. Not only that, but Bills fans are generally among the most knowledgeable fans I have encountered regarding what goes on around the NFL.

The "best"?? If that makes you feel better, go with it.

Maybe we're just the laziest ... too much work/too expensive to have to get stuff for a new team that might actually make the playoffs this century.

The ATL isn't too far behind in terms of futility. But they won't go back 4 times in a row.

These types of things are always misleading.

Market size has to do with it.

Also the number of Falcons and Pats fans at the game.

Metro Buffalo - 1,135,509 * .572 = 649,000

Metro Atlanta - 5,490,000 * .57 = 3,129,300

Metro Boston - 4,628,910 * .5 = 2,314,555

To have over half the households tuned into the game in cities with over 4 million people seems pretty impressive to me. Here in Atlanta a whole lot of the other half were at their neighbors or friends homes, or watching at bars. I can say a lot of people were pulling for Atlanta to win, but they really didn't seem that upset about the loss. Most are not really that passionate - they just move on and say oh well it was a fun ride. Let's face it, after 8-8 the year prior, not many expected to be there in the first place. As has been said, when you talk college football here, now that draws the passion.

I'm thinking people do take advantage of those things in theirs cities, for many, that's why they choose to live there. People may choose to stay in Buffalo partly because of the sports. People live in bigger cities because of other options. I live in Phoenix, I'm always amazed at the activity all around, not just with sports. Every city is different, it's not a big deal.

I understand, you make some good points. You're certainly correct in saying that every city is different. I know that a lot of people leave places like Buffalo for reasons like finding a better climate, but they mostly leave to find a better job market. I don't believe for one second that Buffalo has "less to do" than most other cities of a similar size. In fact I could make the argument that Buffalo offers a lot more culturally than many of the cities where former Buffalolonians live now. The majority of American city streets are dead on a Sunday at 6:30 pm. There are obviously exceptions for the mega cities and "fun in the sun" places, but people are mostly home on a Sunday evening. I just think the numbers mean that Buffalo is a great pro sports town. I don't think it's anymore complex than that. No need to make the assumption that Buffalolonians are bored out of their minds so they resort to sports. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Living in Pittsburgh and being a Bills and Penguins fan, I can personally attest that the best sports fans are in Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The Bills by FAR have the best football fans. No other fanbase would support the NFL or football with the playoff drought the Bills have. Not only that, but Bills fans are generally among the most knowledgeable fans I have encountered regarding what goes on around the NFL.

Yeah, the Niners were just in SB 47 and the NFC championship the year after that and their fans have already started jumping off the bandwagon after 2 down years.

Sabres remain atop local television ratings
For a second straight season, the Buffalo Sabres remain as the top-rated National Hockey League team in the local television ratings in the United States.
great sports fans in WNY

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I remember getting slightly POd when a guy who happened to go to a Bills-Pats game in Foxboro with me 25 years ago or so said later that Buffalo is so into the Bills vs. Boston and the Patriots - because there are so many more things to do in Boston. Which made me wonder why he went to the game. And, also what is there in Boston - especially on a Sunday afternoon (after baseball season) that you can do in Boston that you can't do in Buffalo?

I remember getting slightly POd when a guy who happened to go to a Bills-Pats game in Foxboro with me 25 years ago or so said later that Buffalo is so into the Bills vs. Boston and the Patriots - because there are so many more things to do in Boston. Which made me wonder why he went to the game. And, also what is there in Boston - especially on a Sunday afternoon (after baseball season) that you can do in Boston that you can't do in Buffalo?

Wow. Off the top of my head they have NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB teams. Fantastic seafood. Considerably more and better dining if you prefer that to wings, pizza, and beef on weck. Very good theater. More historical sites than I can count. Museums etc. Countless bars (high and low brow), clubs, high end shopping ... I mean Buffalo is not without it's blue collar charms, but Boston is a big city on the coast for Pete's sake.

Despite my dislike of the average Pats* bandwagon fan, I'll concede that Boston is a terrific city (IMO). I've beeen visiting for 30+ years (and even began our honeymoon there). My wife is there at least once a month on business and has recently declined a transfer to Boston. If it weren't for the weather I'd consider it. But boy! They sure had fits all over town trying to explain the old fumble chart when I spent a week there last summer! It almost got ugly a couple times.

Wow. Off the top of my head they have NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB teams. Fantastic seafood. Considerably more and better dining if you prefer that to wings, pizza, and beef on weck. Very good theater. More historical sites than I can count. Museums etc. Countless bars (high and low brow), clubs, high end shopping ... I mean Buffalo is not without it's blue collar charms, but Boston is a big city on the coast for Pete's sake.

Off the top of my head, Buffalo is 10X the party city that that place is. That places is so overrated for partying. Closing time is 1AM. A lot of places close earlier. Once I was in a bar when a fight happened, so they closed the bar. Here nobody would blink an eye.

They do have more sports teams, and historical places - how many times are you going to go to the boring Old North Church, though. Probably less times than we go to the awesome Niagara Falls.

They have food and theater. We have food and theater. \

And, as has been pointed out - how many of these are you going to be doing on Sunday afternoon. (Well, not you personally - since you squeeze the whole game into 45 minutes at dinner time, but a normal person who likes to have fun and knows football isn't just about the plays, but about community, camaraderie, etc.)

Meant to say they have two more sports teams.

Since I had already said "after baseball season"

Off the top of my head, Buffalo is 10X the party city that that place is. That places is so overrated for partying. Closing time is 1AM. A lot of places close earlier. Once I was in a bar when a fight happened, so they closed the bar. Here nobody would blink an eye.

They do have more sports teams, and historical places - how many times are you going to go to the boring Old North Church, though. Probably less times than we go to the awesome Niagara Falls.

And, as has been pointed out - how many of these are you going to be doing on Sunday afternoon. (Well, not you personally - since you squeeze the whole game into 45 minutes at dinner time, but a normal person who likes to have fun and knows football isn't just about the plays, but about community, camaraderie, etc.)Meant to say they have two more sports teams.

I don't doubt the bolded part AT ALL. I've never lived anywhere quite like Buffalo on that front!

Sabres remain atop local television ratings
For a second straight season, the Buffalo Sabres remain as the top-rated National Hockey League team in the local television ratings in the United States.
great sports fans in WNY

Too bad there's no more Empire network!

And, as has been pointed out - how many of these are you going to be doing on Sunday afternoon. (Well, not you personally - since you squeeze the whole game into 45 minutes at dinner time, but a normal person who likes to have fun and knows football isn't just about the plays, but about community, camaraderie, etc.)

Meant to say they have two more sports teams.

If by 10X you mean people get 10X drunker then that may be understated. At football games it is clearly significantly more than that. If that and acceptance of bar fights is your main criteria, then I see your point. But comparing food (except maybe some bar foods) and theater to Boston, really. :)

Look, as small cities go, Buffalo is a lot of fun don't get me wrong. And I'd rather tailgate with the people of Buffalo than Boston, or anywhere in New England for that matter.But Buffalo, in most ways, can't compare to any major city. No matter how much you have emotionally invested in it. Doesn't mean it is a bad place.

And it's actually about 75 - 80 minutes ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey