Bonnie fans storm court, get technical, cost SBU the game

ChevyVanMiller

What a wild finish. Bonnies hit a three to go up by one with .04 left. Buzzer sounds and Olean students storm the floor. Refs assess the Bonnie's a technical. VCU sinks the FT, sending the game to OT where St. Bonaventure loses.

Crazy...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/college-basketball-st-bonaventure-early-court-rush-loss-fans-technical-vcu

Meanwhile UB is starting to wake up from its season-long slumber hanging 90+ on two top MAC teams and losing to undefeated Akron by a point. Despite being 5-5 in conference they are just one game out of a top-4 seed (and a double bye) in the tournament. That's life in a one-bid conference. The only thing that matters is the tourney. The rest is preseason.

What a wild finish. Bonnies hit a three to go up by one with .04 left. Buzzer sounds and Olean students storm the floor. Refs assess the Bonnie's a technical. VCU sinks the FT, sending the game to OT where St. Bonaventure loses.

Crazy...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/college-basketball-st-bonaventure-early-court-rush-loss-fans-technical-vcu

There was time on the clock when the fans stormed the court. So the technical foul was the right call.

Meanwhile UB is starting to wake up from its season-long slumber hanging 90+ on two top MAC teams and losing to undefeated Akron by a point. Despite being 5-5 in conference they are just one game out of a top-4 seed (and a double bye) in the tournament. That's life in a one-bid conference. The only thing that matters is the tourney. The rest is preseason.

I watched part of the game. They are well coached and play an entertaining brand of game. I wonder if Hurley has any regrets?

Canisius is playing better than the prognosticators predicted. They are also a well coached team. They are not big so they rely on the three point shot.

I would love to see St. Bonnie, Canisius, Niagra and UB elevate their programs and make their mark in the region. Tough challenge to live up to for this hockey and football town.

There was time on the clock when the fans stormed the court. So the technical foul was the right call.

Wrong. Watch the video Chevy posted. When VCU finally inbounded the ball the clock started and the buzzer sounded, then the court storm. Of course they shouldn't have stormed in the first place but the technical was a ridiculous call. Clear the court, re-start the game, Bonnies win. We got screwed.

Also see the UCLA-Oregon game where the exact same thing happened, no technical.

Wrong. Watch the video Chevy posted. When VCU finally inbounded the ball the clock started and the buzzer sounded, then the court storm. Of course they shouldn't have stormed in the first place but the technical was a ridiculous call. Clear the court, re-start the game, Bonnies win. We got screwed.

Also see the UCLA-Oregon game where the exact same thing happened, no technical.

Agreed. Something like this, where the players or coaches are not at fault, should never impact the outcome of a game. Piss poor call by the refs, IMHO. Total screwjob.

I went back and watched it. When the crowd stormed the court there was still time on the clock. Maybe a fraction of a second or so? But there was still time. Did the referees use poor judgment? I would say yes. But technically they were correct. According to the rules the home team can be held accountable for how the crowd reacts.

I'm a VCU grad/fan - so I may be biased. But - by the rules - it was the right call. During the broadcast they explained it well. The announcers said it was a "cheap" call (which it may have been), but it was the right call.

At VCU, the fans are not allowed to storm the court. Act like you've been there and you win the game.....

I'm a VCU grad/fan - so I may be biased. But - by the rules - it was the right call. During the broadcast they explained it well. The announcers said it was a "cheap" call (which it may have been), but it was the right call.

At VCU, the fans are not allowed to storm the court. Act like you've been there and you win the game.....

I'll give another example. If at a game fans throw things on the court the fans will be warned to stop. If it continues the home team is subject to be penalized.

I agree the refs could have exercised better judgment but from a technical sense it was the right call.

I'm with you 100% about the "court storming." You storm the court when you're Sienna and you beat Duke at home. Something like that. You have to admit, however, that VCU won for reasons that had nothing to do with the players on the court or the coaches. VCU should have lost that game. A win is a win, but....just sayin.

My understanding in speaking with a friend today about this game is that the technical was actually called on the SBU bench for leaving the bench area before the clock ran out, and was not associated with the fans' behavior. If true, it changes the dynamic a bit.

My understanding in speaking with a friend today about this game is that the technical was actually called on the SBU bench for leaving the bench area before the clock ran out, and was not associated with the fans' behavior. If true, it changes the dynamic a bit.

That makes far more sense, though they weren't obvious with it before the ball was inbounded. I suspect that might be more damage control than anything.

I hate that we continue to drive emotion from sports. It's the reason the thing is so compelling in the first place.

I'm with you 100% about the "court storming." You storm the court when you're Sienna and you beat Duke at home. Something like that. You have to admit, however, that VCU won for reasons that had nothing to do with the players on the court or the coaches. VCU should have lost that game. A win is a win, but....just sayin.

If you watched the game & the way it u nfolded you really can't blame the students for rushing the court. It was back & forth all afternoon, & the kid for Bonnie couldn't miss in the second half & hit a miracle 3 with 2 guys in his grill with time running out. I think there was .4 seconds left. I don't know, I think the refs could of used better discretion & cleared the court , gave them a warning & Bonnie wins. I guess it was the right call but tough way to lose. I had Bonnie + 1 on the backend of a 4 game round robin where if they would of won I would of won over a grand. That hurt.

Ok - so the A10 and the Bonnies have released statements. The ultimate issue - a security guard picked the ball up while there was still time on the clock and a VCU player had to track him down, rip it out of his hands and try to in-bound it. An article from the Richmond Times Dispatch:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/article_68751b9c-2fb1-54bc-9956-57980fa04762.html

In a statement, the A-10 said, “Although the game officials cited crowd interference as the rationale for assessing the administrative technical foul at the end of regulation in the VCU-St. Bonaventure men’s basketball game, that interpretation was inaccurately associated with the SBU students and fans storming the court during regulation.

“The administrative technical foul was assessed for multiple reasons. The most significant was an individual taking the game ball from the inbounding baseline (assuming time had expired) and walking down the sideline, causing the VCU player to look for the ball, and chase the individual to secure the ball for inbound. Simultaneously, one of the game officials collided with a fan on the court, prior to the inbound toss. It was after these violations that the clock expired, and the students and fans stormed the court with :00 on the clock.

“As a result of this misrepresentation of the administrative technical foul assessed to St. Bonaventure, which reflected poorly on the SBU student body, the officiating crew will be disciplined for not immediately stopping the game for disruption of play.

“There were an unfortunate series of events in this game, which impacted both institutions and the A-10, thus the conference will continue to work with all involved including the game officials for stronger game management in the future.”