LeSean McCoy says he's the league's best RB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James White says "Hello!"

I think this proves the poster's point that RB is almost obsolete because who is James White? The guy was probably only getting carries in overtime because Blount was in the doghouse for his fumble and Lewis got hurt. James White is JAG. He could have been anyone who played RB in the NFL plugged into that role. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I think this proves the poster's point that RB is almost obsolete because who is James White? The guy was probably only getting carries in overtime because Blount was in the doghouse for his fumble and Lewis got hurt. James White is JAG. He could have been anyone who played RB in the NFL plugged into that role.

Yep :beer:

I think this proves the poster's point that RB is almost obsolete because who is James White? The guy was probably only getting carries in overtime because Blount was in the doghouse for his fumble and Lewis got hurt. James White is JAG. He could have been anyone who played RB in the NFL plugged into that role.

It really depends on the team and the system. I'll bet the Steelers will disagree wrt Bell and certainly the Seahawks would disagree on Marshawn Lynch's value to their Super Bowl teams. The Patriots obviously use a RBBC system, but the position is still integral to the success of their team and what back is utilized varies on a game to game basis depending on the matchup and the situation.

McCoy is better than Zeke. You put McCoy behind that Cowboys line, he'd be a 1500-2000 yd rusher no problem.

Nope. McCoy ran for 5.4 ypc....a career high.....just to get the numbers that he got.....and he still missed time with leg injuries again this year despite only having to carry the ball 200 times. 1500-2000 yards requires a 300+ carry back and he's not that guy any longer. That is for the beasts of the game. McCoy is a scat back that has had to get smaller the past couple of years to keep the scat in his game. Zeke he ain't.

Funny. I had a different take. Had the Falcons used their RBs in the second half they'd be champs. They played as if RBs were obsolete and it cost them a Lombardi.

I think there's two discussions going on here. Running the ball will never be obsolete. Paying a top dollar RB when you have a franchise QB is a different story.

James White had twice as many targets as carries on the ground in the entire postseason, and he's a nobody.

I subscribe to the belief that Shanny tried to get cute and put them away with the dazzling passing attack. Sometimes that works. We've seen Brady and BB do that before to great effect. But there's a distinct possibility it blows up in your face. We've seen that with Brady and BB too, or at least it came close. Remember the 2015 first Pats game they kept throwing up 20 and we ended up coming back? We still lost, but if they run the ball a handful of times more, we don't get that shot.

Edited by FireChan

Funny. I had a different take. Had the Falcons used their RBs in the second half they'd be champs. They played as if RBs were obsolete and it cost them a Lombardi.

Yep. Pass to score, run to win usually proves true.

Nope. McCoy ran for 5.4 ypc....a career high.....just to get the numbers that he got.....and he still missed time with leg injuries again this year despite only having to carry the ball 200 times. 1500-2000 yards requires a 300+ carry back and he's not that guy any longer. That is for the beasts of the game. McCoy is a scat back that has had to get smaller the past couple of years to keep the scat in his game. Zeke he ain't.

Gillisie averaged 5.7 vs McCoy 5.4 this year and last year Karlos averaged 5.6 vs McCoy 4.4

Compare that to 2016 Levian Bel 4.9 vs D. Williams 3.5

2016 Zeke 5.1 vs. Alfred Morris 3.5

How much of what McCoy achieved is due to the system he is in the last 2 years as opposed to him being the "Best"?

I think there's two discussions going on here. Running the ball will never be obsolete. Paying a top dollar RB when you have a franchise QB is a different story.

James White had twice as many targets as carries on the ground in the entire postseason, and he's a nobody.

I subscribe to the belief that Shanny tried to get cute and put them away with the dazzling passing attack. Sometimes that works. We've seen Brady and BB do that before to great effect. But there's a distinct possibility it blows up in your face. We've seen that with Brady and BB too, or at least it came close. Remember the 2015 first Pats game they kept throwing up 20 and we ended up coming back? We still lost, but if they run the ball a handful of times more, we don't get that shot.

I don't disagree.

There are a handful of elite backs who disprove the "rule" that RB's are overvalued. McCoy's one of them. How many others are there in the league? Maybe five... five guys who, despite it being a passing league, can impact the game in ways "dime a dozen" RBs cannot.

Spot on. :beer:

Gillisie averaged 5.7 vs McCoy 5.4 this year and last year Karlos averaged 5.6 vs McCoy 4.4

Compare that to 2016 Levian Bel 4.9 vs D. Williams 3.5

2016 Zeke 5.1 vs. Alfred Morris 3.5

How much of what McCoy achieved is due to the system he is in the last 2 years as opposed to him being the "Best"?

You won't get much argument from me there. :beer:

Shady is a very good but he's still not far from a dime-a-dozen.........none of them are.......which is of course the point of the analogy.

It's a much finer line between outstanding and merely capable than people who want to excuse paying a RB $10M per year want to admit.

It's not like QB or LT or CB or even DL and WR in most cases........those guys can play nearly every snap.

Also, RB is a committee position in the NFL for a reason....it's perhaps the most dependent position on the field and at the same time the most expendable and easiest to get tangible results from nobodies like James White.

You won't get much argument from me there. :beer:

Shady is a very good but he's still not far from a dime-a-dozen.........none of them are.......which is of course the point of the analogy.

It's a much finer line between outstanding and merely capable than people who want to excuse paying a RB $10M per year want to admit.

It's not like QB or LT or CB or even DL and WR in most cases........those guys can play nearly every snap.

Also, RB is a committee position in the NFL for a reason....it's perhaps the most dependent position on the field and at the same time the most expendable and easiest to get tangible results from nobodies like James White.

I consider McCoy a tremendous talent. But his signing and expenditure are an indictment of Whaley's ability to astutely structure a roster from a talent and cap standpoint. One thing the Pats have mastered is how to value positions and players. They know when to buy and when to sell. If draft picks are taken from them they make their adjustments through smart free agency selections. They are the model for the saying: Knowing when to hold them and when to fold them.

I consider McCoy a tremendous talent. But his signing and expenditure are an indictment of Whaley's ability to astutely structure a roster from a talent and cap standpoint. One thing the Pats have mastered is how to value positions and players. They know when to buy and when to sell. If draft picks are taken from them they make their adjustments through smart free agency selections. They are the model for the saying: Knowing when to hold them and when to fold them.

Roster construction is infinitely easier when you have the greatest QB ever to play in your starting lineup.

Roster construction is infinitely easier when you have the greatest QB ever to play in your starting lineup.

Yeah - especially one who is so loaded he's willing to play for half of what he's worth. His cap hit goes up to 22 next year (still probably half of what he's worth). So maybe they'll have to cut some people...

Or he'll just take another pay cut.

1/8 on 3rd downs.

3rd and 1 from their territory - pass play, sack fumble.

2nd and 11 with 3:30 left.... NE has two time outs and you're up 8. eating clock and kicking gives you the best chance here. sucks that you put it on your kicker. But even if he MISSES you're in ok shape. because they have no timeouts