Zach Brown named to Pro Bowl

I'm not saying Lorax, Gillmore, Brown did not have a decent year in general, but a Probowl worthy year, no way! If you are not even in the top ten rated at your position, you should not be playing in a Pro Bowl. These replacement invites have reached embarrassing levels of mediocrity. Richie and Kyle earned it. The others were signs of honor-rot in the Probowl. I would like to see the list of those that turned down or were ineligible due to being in the SB or injured before they went down the list far enough to select them, it must have been massive.

Lorax had 12.5 sacks. Is it crazy to think that 12.5 sacks gets you into the Pro Bowl?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lorax had 12.5 sacks. Is it crazy to think that 12.5 sacks gets you into the Pro Bowl?

Rated as 22nd best pass rusher on PFF. Even beat out by Hughes on his own team. Don't tell me you would choose him over any of the top 10 on the list if you could choose your own team players in the NFL. He was good, but not in any way Pro Bowl great.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-nfls-top-25-pass-rushers/

It is about your overall performance, not one single statistic.

Rated as 22nd best pass rusher on PFF. Even beat out by Hughes on his own team. Don't tell me you would choose him over any of the top 10 on the list if you could choose your own team players in the NFL. He was good, but not in any way Pro Bowl great.

I am not saying that I think that he is great. I am saying that 12.5 sacks normally lands you in the Pro Bowl.

I have been of the belief over the last couple of years that the talent was there. When I watch a lot of these other games I look around and ask myself "is this team more talented than the Bills?" Usually the answer is no. The Bills had a +41 point differential through week 16. This validates it somewhat and is an even bigger indictment on the Ryan era. They got less out of more than I thought they could have. The numbers support that they should have been better.

No question this team has a lot of talented players, IMO.

People talk it down........Peter King recently criticized the people who thought this team had playoff talent........but IMO they do have a lot of talent that show their potential as football players......some in flashes, some in longer stretches.........but we just don't get to see it on a week to week basis because of poor coaching.

It's funny to me hearing announcers gush over some of the young players on the teams that were in the playoffs this year........most of them are JAGs that just happen to be riding the Rodgers/Ryan/Roethlisberger bandwagons.

A lot of times it isn't . Teams don't all play each other or have a lot of familiarity with a guy. Many just look to see who's leading in sacks, which DBs are leading in INT's when making pro bowl picks. I've heard players reference this before, probably some truth to it.

A great recipe for accumulating tackles is a defense that can't get off the field. When the other team's running back is rushing 30+ times a game and trampling you for 200+ yards there's going to be plenty of tackles to go around. Rex can't be blamed for everything, the Brown brothers in the middle of the field are culpable for a large share of the defensive problems.

Are you sure? I heard here that Rex was responsible for us losing Superbowls, Trump in White House and Global Warming.

Has anybody got stats which show the increase in number of invites to Semi-Pro Bowl?

Found it on Exclusive Shrill Pats* Network.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18546984/nfl-extends-125-invitations-88-player-spots-pro-bowl

The NFL has extended 125 invitations to fill 88 player spots in this weekend's Pro Bowl, an improvement from 133 last year but still the second-highest total in game history, according to Elias Sports Bureau. That is 30 more than 1998.

In all, only 57 percent of the players on the original roster will be in uniform for the game. That includes just one of the six quarterbacks -- the Dallas Cowboys' Dak Prescott -- and three of the eight wide receivers.

The average of 129 invitations over the past two seasons is 23 percentage points higher than the average of 105 per season from 1998 to 2014, according to Elias' records.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18546984/nfl-extends-125-invitations-88-player-spots-pro-bowl

The NFL has extended 125 invitations to fill 88 player spots in this weekend's Pro Bowl, an improvement from 133 last year but still the second-highest total in game history, according to Elias Sports Bureau. That is 30 more than 1998.

In all, only 57 percent of the players on the original roster will be in uniform for the game. That includes just one of the six quarterbacks -- the Dallas Cowboys' Dak Prescott -- and three of the eight wide receivers.

The average of 129 invitations over the past two seasons is 23 percentage points higher than the average of 105 per season from 1998 to 2014, according to Elias' records.

That's 129 players out of 1,696 NFL players, or 7.6%. I had no idea players in the top 8% suck.

So roughly 7 % of NFL players earned a Pro Bowl bid this year (125 of 1,760). That's a little high compared to the NBA % wise, roughly 5.7% (24 of 420) but a little low compared to baseball roughly 8% (60 guys of 750) (assuming my math is right).

**For the purpose of this exercise I used 25 man rosters for baseball (probably should have added a little buffer for injuries), 55 man rosters for football (factored in the injuries) and 14 man NBA rosters. The NBA rosters vary some but thought that was in line.

So roughly 7 % of NFL players earned a Pro Bowl bid this year (125 of 1,760). That's a little high compared to the NBA % wise, roughly 5.7% (24 of 420) but a little low compared to baseball roughly 8% (60 guys of 750) (assuming my math is right).

**For the purpose of this exercise I used 25 man rosters for baseball (probably should have added a little buffer for injuries), 55 man rosters for football (factored in the injuries) and 14 man NBA rosters. The NBA rosters vary some but thought that was in line.

Which makes sense when applying Internet fan logic. If you aren't elite, you suck.

So roughly 7 % of NFL players earned a Pro Bowl bid this year (125 of 1,760).

It's a bit duplicitous to count the full 53 man roster. In the AFC there are 26 starting positions open for MLBs (not everyone runs a 3-4). The first 2 players selected represent the top 7.5%. When we bring the 2 alternates, it jumps to 15% and that's getting a little watered down.

Of course, it's just a popularity contest and with the rise of IDP in fantasy football, fans just check the top boxes. Of course, the players love voting for the UFAs as well.

It's a bit duplicitous to count the full 53 man roster. In the AFC there are 26 starting positions open for MLBs (not everyone runs a 3-4). The first 2 players selected represent the top 7.5%. When we bring the 2 alternates, it jumps to 15% and that's getting a little watered down.

Of course, it's just a popularity contest and with the rise of IDP in fantasy football, fans just check the top boxes. Of course, the players love voting for the UFAs as well.

The NBA starts 5 of 14 in my example. That's a smaller percentage than the 26 of 53 that you are using. If we are only factoring starters 16% of NBA are All-Stars (24 of 150), 15% of the NFL (125 of 832). We can manipulate the data any way but you'd have to apply it to all leagues. For example I wouldn't consider a low end bullpen arm the same as the 3 hitter but we are in this case. That alters the percentage in baseball. If we want to stick to starters basketball and football are the best comparison because the parts are less interchangeable.

Anyway that you look at it the number of players isn't out of whack with other leagues. A lot more guys play football which is why it seems that way.

The NBA starts 5 of 14 in my example. That's a smaller percentage than the 26 of 53 that you are using. If we are only factoring starters 16% of NBA are All-Stars (24 of 150), 15% of the NFL (125 of 832). We can manipulate the data any way but you'd have to apply it to all leagues. For example I wouldn't consider a low end bullpen arm the same as the 3 hitter but we are in this case. That alters the percentage in baseball. If we want to stick to starters basketball and football are the best comparison because the parts are less interchangeable.

Anyway that you look at it the number of players isn't out of whack with other leagues. A lot more guys play football which is why it seems that way.

I don't think you can compare it to basketball, or any other sport for that matter. 15% is simply too high - that's like 1 out of 6 and that's just for the ILB position. 6 out of 16 QB's went for the AFC. I think we can agree that 38% of the QBs is a bit ridiculous.

The initial vote for the Pro Bowl should be the final word, the slew of alternates getting in is just a cheap attempt to generate fan interest ("Wow we have X Pro Bowlers on our team!")