Old Argument New Data, re: HOF QB Makes Any WR Great

moshermw

Aaron Rogers (1st ballot) and Rothlisberger (prolly) were completely beat down today by better teams.

The scores were lopsided but in no way did the losers/visitors have a chance of winning.

The losers would have been able to make it a game if the HOF QB's passes weren't dropped and the second tier receivers were playoff caliber. It was a very obvious thing to watch today. Any WR/TE not named Nelson or Brown shvt the bed. It was awful - like many Bills games this year.

Today was as stark of an example as anyone needs to see where the #1 receiver was shut down (Jordy, Brown) and the next options COULD NOT GET IT DONE DESPITE HOF QB PLAY.

Everyone on here Old School, Ryan, etc. should now see how it's a two way street QB-WR and TT had that interrupted/no talent all year. And when he had it, was spectacular.

This draft class is loaded with WR. That's what this O needs - not a "grasp at straw" QB in the first round. Bills also need a killer DB - also a strong position in this draft.

Stay away from QB in the first few rounds and let TT grow - QB is not a position of need.

That said - always draft a sleeper in a later round.

Many on here know this is mine:

carry on

I see your point, but neither the packers or steelers defenses are championship caliber. They both deserved to lose because of it.

Exactly. Green bay let up like 500 yards after 3 quarters. And Pittsburgh continued to play zone against brady and got burnt. Had little to do with dropped passes

I'm not arguing with your point. Moslty agree.

However WR # 2 play was not the top reason for the losses today. In fact I thought #17 for the Steelers made some plays as did D. Williams; and Cobb for Green Bay was ok.

Green Bay - 1. Defense. 2. Defense 3. O-line 4. No running game 5.Red zone turn-overs

Pittsburgh 1. Defensive backfield 1a. Defensive scheme - Brady eats zones alive. W/o Gronk you should play them man to man. Brady is no threat to run. 2. Injury to Bell 3. Drop by # 83 in end-zone - 3rd WR but goes to your point 4. No credible TE threat.

I'm not arguing with your point. Moslty agree.

However WR # 2 play was not the top reason for the losses today. In fact I thought #17 for the Steelers made some plays as did D. Williams; and Cobb for Green Bay was ok.

Green Bay - 1. Defense. 2. Defense 3. O-line 4. No running game 5.Red zone turn-overs

Pittsburgh 1. Defensive backfield 1a. Defensive scheme - Brady eats zones alive. W/o Gronk you should play them man to man. Brady is no threat to run. 2. Injury to Bell 3. Drop by # 83 in end-zone - 3rd WR but goes to your point 4. No credible TE threat.

Good assessment. It must be acknowledged though, that both Pitt and GB suffered some pretty bad drive-killing drops from (actually normally sure-handed) WR

I see your point, but neither the packers or steelers defenses are championship caliber. They both deserved to lose because of it.

Cool. Just saying the score would have been closer, read: more fun to watch for us, if the 2nd tier receivers caught at least a cold.

And that HOF QB play does not a WR make.

Exactly. Green bay let up like 500 yards after 3 quarters. And Pittsburgh continued to play zone against brady and got burnt. Had little to do with dropped passes

Cool. Just saying the score would have been closer, read: more fun to watch for us, if the 2nd tier receivers caught at least a cold.

And that HOF QB play does not a WR make.

Good assessment. It must be acknowledged though, that both Pitt and GB suffered some pretty bad drive-killing drops from (actually normally sure-handed) WR

But none of them were their #1.

Like for the Bills, not Sammy but Hunter, Woods, Goodwin, Powell.

An excellent 2 game analysis. TT has had 2 good games in his career.

And it was when his receivers also had their best games-see how this works ?

Not sayin games were won or lost by it.

For God's sake catch a pass and stay in the game.

They were being thrown to by HOF QB's

He has a good point but I also knew their defense would let them down. This is why I wanted the Cowboys to win. They were the better team but made too many mistakes that game.

Aaron Rogers (1st ballot) and Rothlisberger (prolly) were completely beat down today by better teams.

The scores were lopsided but in no way did the losers/visitors have a chance of winning.

The losers would have been able to make it a game if the HOF QB's passes weren't dropped and the second tier receivers were playoff caliber. It was a very obvious thing to watch today. Any WR/TE not named Nelson or Brown shvt the bed. It was awful - like many Bills games this year.

Today was as stark of an example as anyone needs to see where the #1 receiver was shut down (Jordy, Brown) and the next options COULD NOT GET IT DONE DESPITE HOF QB PLAY.

Everyone on here Old School, Ryan, etc. should now see how it's a two way street QB-WR and TT had that interrupted/no talent all year. And when he had it, was spectacular.

This draft class is loaded with WR. That's what this O needs - not a "grasp at straw" QB in the first round. Bills also need a killer DB - also a strong position in this draft.

Stay away from QB in the first few rounds and let TT grow - QB is not a position of need.

carry on

Agree with your points. A strong high round DB and WR pick would be great for the team. Hope it falls that way in the draft

Green Bay and Pittsburgh were both affected by bad drops. Even Nelson got in on the Green Bay dropsies. Eli Rodgers made some plays for Ben but Hamilton had a couple of horrible drops... one in the endzone while the game was still tight. Both losers were also horrible on D.

The point on Tyrod though is not that he had a load of balls dropped in 2016. I think the numbers suggest that was not the case. My issue with him is not seeing guys who are wide open. If he was seeing those guys and making throws that were catchable but not perfect and his guys weren't making plays then I'd be more inclined to say that his receiving talent (or lack thereof) was hurting him.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh were both affected by bad drops. Even Nelson got in on the Green Bay dropsies. Eli Rodgers made some plays for Ben but Hamilton had a couple of horrible drops... one in the endzone while the game was still tight. Both losers were also horrible on D.

The point on Tyrod though is not that he had a load of balls dropped in 2016. I think the numbers suggest that was not the case. My issue with him is not seeing guys who are wide open. If he was seeing those guys and making throws that were catchable but not perfect and his guys weren't making plays then I'd be more inclined to say that his receiving talent (or lack thereof) was hurting him.

Ben must have started Hamilton in his Draft Kings lineup. That's the only possible explanation for what was going on in the red zone.

carry on

Tyrod isn't the worst QB in the league and I wouldn't be upset with the Bills starting him next year but I do want them to find Plan B, draft a QB. Taylor is okay but he isn't, and never ever will be, in the same category as either of those two QB's who lost yesterday. Big Ben actually had a very good game and the Steeler D shown up at all they would have been in that game.

Edited by HT02

carry on

This was the same weekend that an average NFL WR put up 180 yards and 2 TDs with good QB play, right?

This was the same weekend that an average NFL WR put up 180 yards and 2 TDs with good QB play, right?

one of his TD catches they like... forgot to cover him... Steelers didn't come to play at all.

And big ben looked really sloppy - skipping balls to receivers, nothing coming in clean. Even some of their good gains were on ankle high bad passes that the receivers snagged.

one of his TD catches they like... forgot to cover him... Steelers didn't come to play at all.

And big ben looked really sloppy - skipping balls to receivers, nothing coming in clean. Even some of their good gains were on ankle high bad passes that the receivers snagged.

The premise of the OP was that you need "playoff caliber #2/#3 WR's" and that you need top 10 picks to fill those roles. He made this point because of two games today. 2 games where a WR who went #6 overall put up the exact same stat line as an UDFA Lacrosse player.

Laughable.

Edited by FireChan

This draft class is loaded with WR. That's what this O needs - not a "grasp at straw" QB in the first round.

NE and Atlanta's success is indicative of the exact opposite conclusion. Their WR corps are stock full of 2nd tier guys (Sanu, Gabriel, Hogan, Amendola) who happened to ball out yesterday. They represent evidence that you do not need an extremely deep pool of talent at the WR position. The QB and the offensive scheme are far more important.

GB got this far in large part because their supporting WRs are very good. Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, etc played great for them this year. They beat Dallas with Jordy in street clothes. Eli Rodgers played great for Pitt. He and Coates were obviously not among the main reasons why they lost.