The Trump Economy

GG

Gross Domestic Product, Third Quarter 2019 (Advance Estimate)

Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 1.9 percent in the third quarter of 2019 (table 1), according to the "advance" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the second quarter, real GDP increased 2.0 percent.

</snip>

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Black Tuesday came and went without much ado

so disappointing, all the experts told me it was the End of the World

guaranteed for the 58th straight time they have been wrong

but... remember remember the 5th of November.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2019 at 6:38 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Many pages back, I posted the breakdown of the budget. A ton of spending is set in stone by law. If you are unhappy with  the way the small portion that is discretionary is spent, or the laws that were passed for the mandatory portion of spending, I urge you to contact your House member to get the budget under control, the laws repealed, and unnecessary spending cut. ?

My opinion? The budget and deficit are out of control. The one thing the uniparty members all agrees upon is that they never met a dollar they couldn't spend (at least) three times.  

The increase to the military budget was 80 billion dollars and the tax cuts added about 200 billion to the deficit. That's nearly 300 billion added to the deficit that is completely self inflicted by the Trump administration's policies. 

The argument isn't that there would be no deficit because of the factors you mentioned but that Trump has ramped them up by 35% or more.

• Like (+1) 1

Federal revenues have gone up approximately 447 billion dollars since 2016. No doubt this increase was due in part to Trump policies. It's easy to bend figures to support an outcome.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I really question the tax cut figures so often tossed around. Out here in California we didn’t see a tax cut. Since I can no longer write off my state and local taxes I believe my taxes actually went up not down. And I believe the same is true for NY state. 

California taxes are high and since you can no longer write them off one would think that you are in the relatively small percentage that will have your taxes go up. Maybe you can start a movement to get California taxes reduced by taxing all people on your voter rolls. -)

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Federal revenues have gone up approximately 447 billion dollars since 2016. No doubt this increase was due in part to Trump policies. It's easy to bend figures to support an outcome.

California taxes are high and since you can no longer write them off one would think that you are in the relatively small percentage that will have your taxes go up. Maybe you can start a movement to get California taxes reduced by taxing all people on your voter rolls. -)

Don’t get me wrong. I support the change. For too long high tax States have been on a slippery slope slowly peeling away the amount they contribute to national expenses like defense, etc. My point is that many wrongfully buy into the talking point that high earners saw a tax break. I can tell you I did not get a tax cut. Mine went up! But that doesn’t fit the left wing narrative....so.

24 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Based on calendar year data from the BEA and CBO, total federal revenue went up by $62 billion from 2016 to 2018.  Compared to the previous two year (2014-2016), revenues increased by $248 billion over that period.  Revenues as a share of the economy (GDP) were 17.6% in 2016 and 16.5% in 2018, and using 2018 GDP, that reduction of 1.1% amounts to a loss of revenue = $225 billion (which is where that $200 billion contribution to the deficit is coming from). 

Overall, the tax cuts lowered the federal government's share of revenue out of total income.  

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I really question the tax cut figures so often tossed around. Out here in California we didn’t see a tax cut. Since I can no longer write off my state and local taxes I believe my taxes actually went up not down. And I believe the same is true for NY state. 

Yes, the majority of Americans got crumbs, and those of us in high tax states paid more.  Most of the tax cuts went to the top 1%, directly or indirectly via stock buybacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Don’t get me wrong. I support the change. For too long high tax States have been on a slippery slope slowly peeling away the amount they contribute to national expenses like defense, etc. My point is that many wrongfully buy into the talking point that high earners saw a tax break. I can tell you I did not get a tax cut. Mine went up! But that doesn’t fit the left wing narrative....so.

I don't envy you. I lived in CA at a much better time and it was still fvcked up. Your politicians, by their actions/non actions have proven that they have no practical sense. You've got trains that go nowhere but accumulation of deadfall in your forests when your state has the propensity for wildfires. You desperately need water but let it flow to the ocean to protect the Delta Smelt. You have rampant homelessness fostering the spread of Medieval diseases. Every one of your state's major problems can be solved by solving your water problems though. Where is the leadership from your state?

https://taxfoundation.org/federal-tax-revenue-source-1934-2018

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

1.9% GDP growth.

And so much Presidential policy has to do with this--hellooooo tariffs!!!

Another Trump promise breaking to pieces before his eyes at perhaps the most inopportune time.

Get yer 'scuses rolling over here for the Donald. :lol:

When you're forced to celebrate bad news for the country because of pure partisanship -- you might have your priorities out of whack. 

Just saying.

(And it's why Trump is going to win 2020 in a walk -- sentiments like the one you shared above)

32 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

1.9% GDP growth.

And so much Presidential policy has to do with this--hellooooo tariffs!!!

Another Trump promise breaking to pieces before his eyes at perhaps the most inopportune time.

Get yer 'scuses rolling over here for the Donald. :lol:

The Trump economy slides toward the Obama era economic levels while Trump stands firm against China's unfair trade practices. Also, with everyone working already its difficult to produce more. -)

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The Trump economy slides toward the Obama era economic levels while Trump stands firm against China's unfair trade practices. Also, with everyone working already its difficult to produce more. -)

it's like the people before the NASDAQ meltdown assuring me that a large company could indeed make a 33% continual profit for the next 50 straight years to justify the stock price

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

When you're forced to celebrate bad news for the country because of pure partisanship -- you might have your priorities out of whack. 

Just saying.

(And it's why Trump is going to win 2020 in a walk -- sentiments like the one you shared above)

What a laugh coming from this board--how hypocritical.

The economy was honestly the one thing I was hopeful for when Trump became President.

I always thought his proclamation that he'd be able to get the economy to 5 or even 6 percent was a joke, but I honestly thought he'd managae to push it up steadily above 3%.

Instead, he's one of the primary instigators of a global slowdown.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

10.26.18.png?itok=oVZ66bLW

6.6.14.jpg?itok=u3doZHBm

Yeah right... 

Obama killed this country.  

It was him that was responsible for our economic slowdown before he got into office!!!

The fact that he couldn't stop the freight train that was the economic collapse that was in full swing before he got into office quick enough and allowed job losses on his watch as he got into office is inexcusable!!!

Let's forget that all this economic growth started with him!!!

OBAMA BAD!!!

You guys are always good for a laugh with your hypocrisy   :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1