The Trump Economy

GG

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I’d say not, as the tariffs are not his preferred economic policy, but are rather a means to and end.  If they are successful in the long term, forcing our trading partners into trade agreements which spur a much healthier long term US economy, then short term negatives are worth it.  If the opposite is true, and they don’t lead to desirable outcomes, then it would be fair to judge them negatively.

I really don't understand the Mexico tariffs though.  We apparently had a new trade deal worked out. Now if the Mexico economy struggles because of these tariffs it will lead to more illegal immigration which is the antithesis of what Trump is trying to achieve.  Also, I don't like the executive branch having this much power when it comes to implementing tariffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I really don't understand the Mexico tariffs though.  We apparently had a new trade deal worked out. Now if the Mexico economy struggles because of these tariffs it will lead to more illegal immigration which is the antithesis of what Trump is trying to achieve.  Also, I don't like the executive branch having this much power when it comes to implementing tariffs.

Most of the surge in illegal immigration is coming through Mexico from Nicaragua, El Salvator, and...Honduras, I think.  

Tariffs on Mexico, while a stupid idea, probably aren't going to cause an appreciable uptick at the border.

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

See Tibs...that is what is known as a rational counterpoint

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Tom already covered the illegal immigration point....I don’t get it either and I’m for the China tariffs. Maybe he (they) thinks they’re working so well with China that we should tariff everyone?

2 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

See Tibs...that is what is known as a rational counterpoint

Tom already covered the illegal immigration point....I don’t get it either and I’m for the China tariffs. Maybe he (they) thinks they’re working so well with China that we should tariff everyone?

He’s playing the art of the deal (I didn’t read the book). He’s trying to see if they’ll call his bluff. Dumb move in my mind. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Most of the surge in illegal immigration is coming through Mexico from Nicaragua, El Salvator, and...Honduras, I think.  

Tariffs on Mexico, while a stupid idea, probably aren't going to cause an appreciable uptick at the border.

True.  I've seen reports that more Mexicans are leaving the US than coming in as an improved Mexican economy has led to more jobs.  I guess short term it's not a big deal, but weakening the Mexican economy is not a smart strategy.  

1 hour ago, Kevbeau said:

It may be more of a political maneuver as it hits two of his campaign pledges.  Get tougher on illegal immigration and bring jobs back from Mexico to the US.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Mexican government is owned by the cartels, to the point that it's impossible to separate them.

Research how many of the Mexican candidates for government were assassinated in the last cycle.

The President isn't negotiating with the President of Mexico, he's creating a circumstance which drives the current Mexican President to ask Trump to decimate the cartels within his country.

5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The Mexican government is owned by the cartels, to the point that it's impossible to separate them.

Research how many of the Mexican candidates for government were assassinated in the last cycle.

The President isn't negotiating with the President of Mexico, he's creating a circumstance which drives the current Mexican President to ask Trump to decimate the cartels within his country.

Damn.  That's a lot of aspiring politicians dead.  I forget how lawless that country can be as I've only been to Cancun.  I'm a little confused by your last sentence.  The purpose of these tariffs is for the Mexican president to ask the US to take out Mexican cartels?  

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Damn.  That's a lot of aspiring politicians dead.  I forget how lawless that country can be as I've only been to Cancun.  I'm a little confused by your last sentence.  The purpose of these tariffs is for the Mexican president to ask the US to take out Mexican cartels?  

This is why I don’t fly a couple hours to the nice beaches of Mexico but fly all day to the beaches of the Caribbean. They don’t get any of my vacation dollars. 

Boy, this is just plain stupid! Tariff Man is an idiot! 

The tactic sowed disruption on multiple fronts Friday as top Mexican officials rushed to Washington to defuse the threat, the stock market tumbled on the news and administration officials offered little explanation of how increasing the prices of goods from Mexico would stop illegal immigration at the border, a goal that has eluded multiple administrations.

“He’s trying to solve a humanitarian situation by creating economic chaos,” said Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairman Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.), whose state would be devastated in any trade standoff with Mexico. “He doesn’t have a coherent strategy for how to deal with any of this stuff.”

Still, the chorus of objections that enveloped the White House did little to discourage Trump, who was infuriated after more than 1,000 migrants from Central America surrendered early Wednesday to U.S. officials near El Paso. That development — on the same day that former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III delivered an in-person statement on the conclusions of his Russia investigation — marked the largest group of migrants taken into custody by U.S. border authorities in a single event. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-defies-close-advisers-in-deciding-to-threaten-mexico-with-disruptive-tariffs/2019/05/31/d87ae82c-83ba-11e9-bce7-40b4105f7ca0_story.html?utm_term=.673ce3d03735

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If these Tariffs do go into operation and stay there then yes, more people might leave Mexico. 

But if they also hurt the Texas economy, Trump might be pushing that state right into the hands of the Democrats in 2020 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Boy, this is just plain stupid! Tariff Man is an idiot! 

The tactic sowed disruption on multiple fronts Friday as top Mexican officials rushed to Washington to defuse the threat, the stock market tumbled on the news and administration officials offered little explanation of how increasing the prices of goods from Mexico would stop illegal immigration at the border, a goal that has eluded multiple administrations.

“He’s trying to solve a humanitarian situation by creating economic chaos,” said Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairman Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.), whose state would be devastated in any trade standoff with Mexico. “He doesn’t have a coherent strategy for how to deal with any of this stuff.”

Still, the chorus of objections that enveloped the White House did little to discourage Trump, who was infuriated after more than 1,000 migrants from Central America surrendered early Wednesday to U.S. officials near El Paso. That development — on the same day that former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III delivered an in-person statement on the conclusions of his Russia investigation — marked the largest group of migrants taken into custody by U.S. border authorities in a single event. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-defies-close-advisers-in-deciding-to-threaten-mexico-with-disruptive-tariffs/2019/05/31/d87ae82c-83ba-11e9-bce7-40b4105f7ca0_story.html?utm_term=.673ce3d03735

If these Tariffs do go into operation and stay there then yes, more people might leave Mexico. 

But if they also hurt the Texas economy, Trump might be pushing that state right into the hands of the Democrats in 2020 

Fake Link, again. Why do you even bother commenting on anything when practically everything is over your head?

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It’s not that the country is lawless (it is), it’s that the cartels are the government.

Those assassinations happened because those candidates ran opposing the cartels. Mexican Presidents are on their payroll.

Everything President Trump is doing on our border is to battle the cartels.  The easier way to do that would be to invade Mexico, but there are a million good reasons not to do that.  However, we’re the Mexican President to ask America for military assistance to do that job...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/31/2019 at 9:37 PM, Doc Brown said:

Most of those now migrating to the US are coming from Central America, not Mexico.  The focus of Trump's tariffs is to get Mexico to take a harder stance on their southern border.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Most of those now migrating to the US are coming from Central America, not Mexico.  The focus of Trump's tariffs is to get Mexico to take a harder stance on their southern border.

They have a harder stance on their southern border than we have on ours.  They don't have the resources to enforce it.  Tariffs are not likely to help that, I'm guessing.

Interesting video on the devistating economic impact of Trumps tariff war on Western New York 

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2019/06/02/u-s--china-trade-war-affects-agriculture-industry#

1 hour ago, TPS said:

But increasing unemployment in Mexico could very well increase immigration. I think that's the point 

In my mind the threat of tariffs will bring Mexico the the table to have honest in depth and on going discussions about the problem. Things like getting them to ask for help with their southern border. Making the Mexican economy stronger so the in incentive to stay becomes greater. Someone mentioned what if a vast majority of the goods now manufactured in China were moved to Mexico. That would be yuge!  This is the “art of the deal” that someone with a business background that many of us have been begging for for a long time understands that your average politician has no clue about.  

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

But increasing unemployment in Mexico could very well increase immigration. I think that's the point 

Move manufacturing to Mexico. Problem solved! 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

They have a harder stance on their southern border than we have on ours.  They don't have the resources to enforce it.  Tariffs are not likely to help that, I'm guessing.

There was a lot of media about the "caravans" of people passing through Mexico last year.  I really don't know much about Mexico's southern border passing, but they certainly don't seem to care much about our border--which, in the past, was mostly partiers in TJ and people seeking cheap (legal) drugs.  

I think AMLO is more than willing to discuss the issue with Trump, they simply won't have much in common on the issue, I'm guessing...

45 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Interesting video on the devistating economic impact of Trumps tariff war on Western New York 

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2019/06/02/u-s--china-trade-war-affects-agriculture-industry#

That may be the point you are making about the effect of the tariffs, but Trump's use of the tariffs is for the reason I mentioned.

16 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

In my mind the threat of tariffs will bring Mexico the the table to have honest in depth and on going discussions about the problem. Things like getting them to ask for help with their southern border. Making the Mexican economy stronger so the in incentive to stay becomes greater. Someone mentioned what if a vast majority of the goods now manufactured in China were moved to Mexico. That would be yuge!  This is the “art of the deal” that someone with a business background that many of us have been begging for for a long time understands that your average politician has no clue about.  

Move manufacturing to Mexico. Problem solved! 

You actually read the Art of the Deal??