The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://thehill.com/regulation/329720-study-trump-has-eliminated-86b-in-regs

President Trump has saved taxpayers more than $86 billion in regulatory costs during his first three months in the White House, according to a new study from a conservative group.

The American Action Forum (AAF) points to several Obama-era regulations that Trump has either rolled back on his own or with the help of Republican lawmakers using the Congressional Review Act (CRA).

This includes the Education Department’s school accountability standards, the Environmental Protection Agency’s waters of the United States rule and the so-called “blacklisting” rule for government contractors.

These are just a few examples mentioned in the report. Since taking office, Trump and Congress have repealed 13 rules with the CRA. The CRA allows lawmakers to overturn recent rules they disapprove of with a simple majority in Congress, and send the action to the president for his signature.

“Just as there are fiscal costs for new significant rules, there can be savings from repealing old rules through comprehensive regulatory reform,” said Sam Batkins, director of regulatory policy at the AAF.

http://thehill.com/regulation/329720-study-trump-has-eliminated-86b-in-regs

President Trump has saved taxpayers more than $86 billion in regulatory costs during his first three months in the White House, according to a new study from a conservative group.

The American Action Forum (AAF) points to several Obama-era regulations that Trump has either rolled back on his own or with the help of Republican lawmakers using the Congressional Review Act (CRA).

This includes the Education Department’s school accountability standards, the Environmental Protection Agency’s waters of the United States rule and the so-called “blacklisting” rule for government contractors.

These are just a few examples mentioned in the report. Since taking office, Trump and Congress have repealed 13 rules with the CRA. The CRA allows lawmakers to overturn recent rules they disapprove of with a simple majority in Congress, and send the action to the president for his signature.

“Just as there are fiscal costs for new significant rules, there can be savings from repealing old rules through comprehensive regulatory reform,” said Sam Batkins, director of regulatory policy at the AAF.

Fake news

Trump probably spends more on weekend vacations than that anyway

Wonder who amongst us is less confident now than before the election.

I'm currently less confident in the stock market. Trump needs to enact a major economic policy change or the bubble will burst. Fiddling with regulations and tweeting about companies ain't going to cut it. Nero needs to get off the golf course and use his early good will to get something passed.

I'm currently less confident in the stock market. Trump needs to enact a major economic policy change or the bubble will burst. Fiddling with regulations and tweeting about companies ain't going to cut it. Nero needs to get off the golf course and use his early good will to get something passed.

Every 5 or so years the market players take their cut of the profits made by the rise, causing it all to fall accordingly.

Nothing wrong with this, they are fully entitled.

And every time the media screams its a total surprise and the world is coming to an end.

A few times I've mentioned this to senior citizens and they put everything into $$$ just before the market "collapsed" due to the players taking their cut of profits. One saved $400,000 from this.

Nothing new really, but the media will turn it into the Apocalypse when it happens.

Every 5 or so years the market players take their cut of the profits made by the rise, causing it all to fall accordingly.

Nothing wrong with this, they are fully entitled.

And every time the media screams its a total surprise and the world is coming to an end.

A few times I've mentioned this to senior citizens and they put everything into $$$ just before the market "collapsed" due to the players taking their cut of profits. One saved $400,000 from this.

Nothing new really, but the media will turn it into the Apocalypse when it happens.

yes. My point is prices were filled with optimism from his election, and now they need some substance to keep going. Barring that, its profit taking time.

Nobody Works in One in Five U.S. Families

by Ali Meyer

Original Article

No family member was employed in 16,069,000 U.S. families in 2016, or 19.6 percent of families, according to newly released data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The number of families with nobody employed increased by roughly 19,000 from 2015 to 2016

by Ali Meyer

Original Article

No family member was employed in 16,069,000 U.S. families in 2016, or 19.6 percent of families, according to newly released data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The number of families with nobody employed increased by roughly 19,000 from 2015 to 2016

"The fact that 20 percent of families don’t have anyone working demonstrates that the labor market still has weaknesses," Ortiz said. "But the problem isn’t the number of available jobs."

Yet the immigrants keep coming and finding work.

"The number of families with no workers has remained relatively steady since 1995, when the bureau began compiling the data."

"There are currently 5.7 million job openings, millions of which pay roughly $50,000 or more per year," he said. "Policymakers need to address the skills gap that is preventing these unemployed families from seizing these available good jobs."

I wish they would do a follow-up study and figure out how these families are getting by. Are they in between jobs? Living off of benefits? Running illegitimate businesses out of their house? Living off of family inheritance and trusts? Are they already retired? Dealing drugs? So many factors here to consider. Still, one-in-five was a surprise to me. Something needs to be done to get them working and paying taxes.

by Ali Meyer

Original Article

I actually am surprised it's not more considering the percentage is close to what it was in 1995 (19.6% to 18.9%).

yes. My point is prices were filled with optimism from his election, and now they need some substance to keep going. Barring that, its profit taking time.

Yup.

And what % of those retiring are offset by the % entering the workforce

Unfortunately, right now the demographics are upside down, coupled with zero prospect for immigration reform.

And what % of those retiring are offset by the % entering the workforce

as I posted in the past my generation has a significant impact on the stats. Part, not all, of the decline in the employment/pop ratio is due to this, as is the data I responded to--the demographic retiring is bigger than the current demo entering the workforce.

As An aside, as GG noted about the crackdown on immigrants, it's surprising we haven't seen greater improvement in wages.

by Ali Meyer

Original Article

So what is Trump doing about it?