2006 Bills FA's, holy crap!

JP-era

I just found this talking about what the Bills are going to do in this offseason and they discuss that we should think about 2006:

The Bills' planning has 2006 in mind. That's when starters Clements, Adams, Campbell, London Fletcher, Chris Kelsay, Lawyer Milloy, Jeff Posey, Ross Tucker and kicker Rian Lindell become unrestricted free agents.

Donahoe would like to tie up Clements, who made his first Pro Bowl, before he gets to free agency.

How in the hell are we gonna keep all those guys? Clements and Adams need to stay but what about Milloy? Kelsay?

Heres the thing now that I ask. Should our concentration be on bringing in offensive help or stacking our defense for the future. Personally in the afc east and todays nfl I'd rather be a defensive oriented team. so I state the following

1. I know theres gonna be people who say let lawyer milloy walk... so I pose this question who do we replace him with? Coy Wire... god I hope not.... Pierson Prioleau... A better option than wire but will probably be cut to save cap space. Rashad Baker isn't a ss he's a fs. If we can't find a suitable placement for milloy we have to resign him.

2. Resign Nate clements. this is a priority #1 right now as far as I'm concernd. He's quickly becoming imo the most balanced cb in the nfl and a top 5 overall.

3. Find out what kind of lb depth we have. While I don't want to lose fletcher we can afford to lose jeff posey. If we can find that haggan and yes go ahead and laugh now Josh Stammer can step in and be starters it's time to cut loose with fletcher/posey.

4. Sam Adams- the most important position on the defense. i don't know if we can afford to lose sam adams, but lets get anderson some more playing time. I think this year we find out what edwards has, and we also see what anderson is made of. Either way adams is up there in age, so depth is needed.

5. De- WE NEED A TRUE DE. Enough of these high motor guys. We need a real consistent pass rusher, I don't care how we get him but we need one.

Basically this season now we have no choice but to find out what our defensive depth is made of and this might even change donahoes draft philosophy. I don't want us to become an offensive oriented team that style of play doesn't win championships. While The colts/chiefs/vikings are fun teams to watch run up the score they're not winning championships. Defensive depth and finding out who on the bench can be a future starter next year.

I just found this talking about what the Bills are going to do in this offseason and they discuss that we should think about 2006:

The Bills' planning has 2006 in mind. That's when starters Clements, Adams, Campbell, London Fletcher, Chris Kelsay, Lawyer Milloy, Jeff Posey, Ross Tucker and kicker Rian Lindell become unrestricted free agents.

Donahoe would like to tie up Clements, who made his first Pro Bowl, before he gets to free agency.

How in the hell are we gonna keep all those guys? Clements and Adams need to stay but what about Milloy? Kelsay?

255239[/snapback]

Hopefully TD will sign clements, fletcher, and possibly posey this year depending on how much cap space the bills have. Lindell, Tucker, and Malloy can be let go either because of the bills depth or because they can be easily replaced through the next two drafts and free agency. I would like to keep Laywer but after his attitude has surfaced this offseason, he may not be missed in this locker room. If pdiddy is lost this year TD must make sure that adams remains a bill until retirement.

255239[/snapback]

You're assuming that each of these players will get bigger contracts than they currently have.

For sure, Clements will be expensive if TD wants to keep him. Campbell, Kelsay, Tucker will command higher prices, but they're not going to break the bank unless they really step up their play. I don't see Fletcher, Milloy and Posey getting more than they currently do F&M b/c of their age and already high numbers (salaries tend to go in a Bell Curve shape over the course of a career and their last contracts were their peaks, I'd figure), and P b/c he hasn't even lived up to the deal he signed.

Why is it the Pats can put in Koppen, Hochstein and another no-name guy on the OL, and win the SB? And yet, the Bills must have a Name Player at every position? If a guy is asking for more than you can afford, you let him go and plug someone else in who is hungry for a job. I like that TD is trusting his coaches' and staff's judgment and is doing this w/ PW and JJ. He'll do it in 2006 too.

(And Lindell? They can cut him right now and shed no tears.)

don't think it's a huge issue.

clements is the only "must keep" guy. if adams and fletcher still play at a very high level this year then we should try to keep them. i don't think their prices will be exhorbitant in relation to their production. shouldn't be any problem resigning kelsay unless he goes out and gets 15 sacks and if thats the case then you gotta keep him over adams if you can only afford one of them.

the rest being lost doesn't upset me at all, all are replacable besides milloy but since his "can't feed families with SB rings" comment, i could care less if he is on this team or not.

Are you positive about Kelsay? He was not a RFA this year. Are you certain he will be a UFA in 06?

This would present a problem. It is extremely hard to find DEs. Many complain about this kid but imo, he was one of the most improved players on the team in 05. His continued improvement is very likely, and the Bills need to have a pair of top DEs.

As I stated in another thread, sadly, losing Clements seems probable. Do you think he would accept a 5 year/35 million dollar contract right now? He might very well not. Do you want to pay him that much?

Tough questions for TD.

255239[/snapback]

clements is a free agent after next year.......obviously a big priority right now, as his price gets higher and higher the longer TD waits......all the other guys you listed are free agents after the 2006 season.......the only one i would offer a contract to right now is kelsay, as he is still on his first contract and would surely love a fat signing bonus along with an early jump in pay........

2 years is a LONG time........we have 2 drafts to prepare for any potential departures of vets..........it's really not that big a deal, but will play in to the drafting strategy to some degree........

ron edwards is a priority if the bills are turning over the #2 DT job to him.......if that is the case, he should be offered an extension......if he plays out his contract year, we could pay big time for it..........

locking up mcgee is a priority, but as he will only be an RFA next off-season, it will not kill us to have him play out his deal.......more effort should be made to extend him though, as he should be eager to sign a fair deal given his 4th round status.......

i would also extend reed now and not wait until after the year to deal with him..........if he has a rebound season (as i think he will) he's as good as gone.........

clements is a free agent after next year.......obviously a big priority right now, as his price gets higher and higher the longer TD waits......all the other guys you listed are free agents after the 2006 season.......the only one i would offer a contract to right now is kelsay, as he is still on his first contract and would surely love a fat signing bonus along with an early jump in pay........

2 years is a LONG time........we have 2 drafts to prepare for any potential departures of vets..........it's really not that big a deal, but will play in to the drafting strategy to some degree........

ron edwards is a priority if the bills are turning over the #2 DT job to him.......if that is the case, he should be offered an extension......if he plays out his contract year, we could pay big time for it..........

locking up mcgee is a priority, but as he will only be an RFA next off-season, it will not kill us to have him play out his deal.......more effort should be made to extend him though, as he should be eager to sign a fair deal given his 4th round status.......

i would also extend reed now and not wait until after the year to deal with him..........if he has a rebound season (as i think he will) he's as good as gone.........

255281[/snapback]

Do you know exactly how long it takes a player to be eligible to become a RFA and/or a UFA?

We might as well keep taloking about it. As we speak, fully one half of the posts on the front page are OT.

Do you know exactly how long it takes a player to be eligible to become a RFA and/or a UFA?

We might as well keep taloking about it. As we speak, fully one half of the posts on the front page are OT.

255290[/snapback]

i believe it takes 4 years..........as mcgee only signed for 3 originally, he would be an RFA in his 4th year........alot of teams are forcing players to sign 4 or even 5 year deals to avoid this problem.......

just to clarrify.......

signed through 2005 season -- Clements, Mcgee, Edwards, Reed, Teague

signed through 2006 season -- Adams, Campbell, Fletcher, Kelsay, Milloy, Posey, Tucker, Lindell

255289[/snapback]

Thank you for this much needed clarification.

After 06, Milloy and Big Sam will border on being old players, this if they stay healthy after 2 more seasons.

255239[/snapback]

Of those players, Clements becomes FA after 2005. All the others are signed thru 2006

just to clarrify.......

signed through 2006 season -- Adams, Campbell, Fletcher, Kelsay, Milloy, Posey, Tucker, Lindell

255289[/snapback]

From this list, I'd say only Clements, McGee, and maybe Kelsay (if he continues to improve) are the only ones that TD absolutely can't let go. I'd miss Fletcher, but I think his position can be fairly easily replaced.

All the other players are either:

going to be too old or

just not all that good.

I think TD's got us in great shape.

Think of it the other way. When all those guys become free agents, that will open up alot of cap space. They either resign, or you can bring in many new faces.

It's also likely alot of these deals will have un-friendly terms for last year of contract. So it's likely some of these guys will re-sign contracts with extensions before their contract ever runs out.

don't think it's a huge issue.

clements is the only "must keep" guy.  if adams and fletcher still play at a very high level this year then we should try to keep them.  i don't think their prices will be exhorbitant in relation to their production.  shouldn't be any problem resigning kelsay unless he goes out and gets 15 sacks and if thats the case then you gotta keep him over adams if you can only afford one of them.

the rest being lost doesn't upset me at all, all are replacable  besides milloy but since his "can't feed families with SB rings" comment, i could care less if he is on this team or not.

255270[/snapback]

I agree, keep Nate, and play your cards and take your chances with the rest! Some of them may not make the 05 team, and the rest will be one year/one season older. :blink:

just to clarrify.......

255289[/snapback]

I thought that his players were a few too many. 2007, most of those players will be old and we will probably have their replacements on hand already.

255239[/snapback]

JP, everything is gonna be ok...first off, as posted earlier, we have some of these guys under contract for 2 more years...secondly, when they become free agents, that opens up a bunch of cap space...

and finally, i am sure that TD is aware of this...i am sure that he looks more that 1 year into the future when making personnel choices (McGahee)...i tihnk TD is setting us to be contenders for a long time, and is not going to go with the 3-yr window then cap hell approach so many teams take...

255239[/snapback]

One good thing. UFAs play their asses off in the contract year.

Most of those guys already have large contracts. We signed them as FA's after they had already madea name for themselves. So resigning Milloy, Fletcher, Adams should not be a problem. Clements however will give us trouble, but I don't mind it so much since he has as many downsides as up. Losing him would not be that big of a deal to me.

255239[/snapback]

Clements, Campbell, Fletcher, Kelsay can stay.

Milloy can stay if hes not asking for a 8 mil. salary.

i never liked posey.

and dont forget, if they are FA, we will have alot of money to sign new guys if we have to. IMO, Fletcher and clements HAVE to sign new contracts.

255239[/snapback]

We can do without Jeff Posey, Mark Campbell & especially rian lindell :blink:

One good thing.  UFAs play their asses off in the contract year.

255447[/snapback]

That's a valid point you make.

Wiley, Peerless.... I could keep listing these 'til I'm blue in the face but I won't.

Let's hope Josh Reed likewise gets the fire in his eyes this year.

(Never a wise move to sign a guy based solely on production in his contract year. This has been the road to ruin for many a team. Why would you want someone who could only be bothered to step it up when his ass was on the line? Then when it's not, production slips lower than it was previously. If Reed does do well and wants big money, TD should let him walk.

255239[/snapback]

Posey and Lindell are no brainers, CUT!

Clements and Fletcher you have to keep.

I like Milloy and Adams but I think their going to be gone.

I won't lose any sleep if Tucker and Campbell are not here.

Kelsay/ Denney, what's the difference?

255239[/snapback]

Posey and Lindell are no brainers, CUT!

Clements and Fletcher you have to keep.

I like Milloy and Adams but I think their going to be gone.

I won't lose any sleep if Tucker and Campbell are not here.

Kelsay/ Denney, what's the difference?

255239[/snapback]

This is such good news!

I haven't had this much doom and gloom since BillsFanOne knocked out the Doom Lights from the entire Wall!

JP-era you just keep plugged into your personal tie line at the Niagra Mohawk power plant and keep pumping out them great vibes!

Yes! Can you dig it?!!! We don't have all our starters under lifetime contracts!

OH MY GOD...

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED!!!!!!!!!!