ALynn being interviewed today...

eball

I disagree. ALynn said Buffalo is where he wants to be -- if the Bills make him an offer today and he doesn't accept, he's not going to be the next permanent HC here.

Ultimatum? Hmm, I doubt I'd play it that way if I were the Bills. But I'm not the Bills.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article by Jenny Vrentas is a pretty good read. It's about McCoy but features ALynn a lot and I found it pretty encouraging if in fact we do settle on him.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/14/nfl-lesean-mccoy-buffalo-anthony-lynn-bills-running-backs-the-mmqb

Thanks for that. It's a great read. Ironic that the Bills sucked on offense and running in the first game, but that they exploded after Lynn took over (granted, they were fine on offense in week two).

Thanks for that. It's a great read. Ironic that the Bills sucked on offense and running in the first game, but that they exploded after Lynn took over (granted, they were fine on offense in week two).

I wouldn't say fine. Too many 3 and outs in that game with two big plays (Goodwin and Salas) sprinkled in. Overall, week two was rather uneven.

Interviewed in Boca? This organization is a laughingstock! How could Whaley possibly set up and conduct an interview when other people are present?! I bet you they force him to call John Wawrow and say he was in the room when they decided to bench Tyrod.

At least conduct the interviews in Buffalo for coordinators who season's are over and fly out to the city where coordinators on their playoff bye week such as SD and Denver are doing for Dave Toub, KC's ST Coordinator. Team is half-assing another coaching search, 20 years of no playoff is a real possibility if they screw up another coaching search.

I wouldn't say fine. Too many 3 and outs in that game with two big plays (Goodwin and Salas) sprinkled in. Overall, week two was rather uneven.

True. I'll agree with that. Uneven but not shut down like the Ravens game. Great article though. Good insight on Lynn.

There was a tiny line in there that fans should think about. Lynn was talking about the Ravens game I think, and Shady motioned that he wasnt coming out even though his backup was being sent in, and Lynn let Shady have his way, saying something like, "If a guy waves me off he better score." But remember Lynn was just the RB coach. The vast majority of fans, I would imagine, think the OC would be responsible for the groupings and players on the field depending on the calls he was making. But a lot of time that is the position coaches making those calls.

Indeed - they were anything from fine. They had a couple of playground ball big plays but otherwise looked so disorganized and inept that the owners promptly fired the OC...

But that's how you beat a team with a good front seven that is capable of shutting anyone down - wait for the breakdowns in the secondary and strike hard and fast. Which is what the Bills did.

But that's how you beat a team with a good front seven that is capable of shutting anyone down - wait for the breakdowns in the secondary and strike hard and fast. Which is what the Bills did.

No way - you scheme up a quick-hitting up-tempo short passing game. The Bills had no coherent plan for success on offense in that game - the Salas touchdown was a total fluke, a broken play where Tyrod scrambled around and made something happen. The Goodwin play was just a go route. Those are not recipes for success against any kind of defense.

Unfortunately not enough with the Pass D getting roasted that night. Essentially they were held to 17 offensive points until the game was already determined.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Unfortunately not enough with the Pass D getting roasted that night. Essentially they were held to 17 offensive points until the game was already determined.

I don't disagree with that, but the game wasn't completely over when they got to 31. An onside kick (20 percent chance of success) and they're right back in it with 2 minutes to go.

I don't disagree with that, but the game wasn't completely over when they got to 31. An onside kick (20 percent chance of success) and they're right back in it with 2 minutes to go.

You just summed up the season.

No way - you scheme up a quick-hitting up-tempo short passing game. The Bills had no coherent plan for success on offense in that game - the Salas touchdown was a total fluke, a broken play where Tyrod scrambled around and made something happen. The Goodwin play was just a go route. Those are not recipes for success against any kind of defense.

Agree about Salas, but a lot of QBs miss (i.e., don't see) those wide open receivers down field. It seems to happen every game to every team at some point. The Goodwin play was a flat out good play. The Bills won a bunch of games the previous year on those types of plays.

I do agree that they didn't play well otherwise. But let's not make one of those "the offense stunk if you take away the big plays" arguments.

The Bills and onside kicks........ :lol:

Now that I can't argue with!

Edited by dave mcbride

I was disappointed to see the Pegulas sitting in on the interviews. Expected Whaley to do them one-on-one and when he had his guy, second interview, this time with the Pegulas. Let the GM RUN THE SHOW! What does "heading up the search " mean? It should mean he finally gets the chance to hire"his" guy.

Don't know if Lynn will be good or not. He did do a good job this year with the offense and play calling was not terrible. Would like to see what changes he would make in the passing game as I think the routes run by the receivers, basically 10 yard outs, are too simple.

The fact that he seemingly brings Bradley along is a definite plus.

The league is littered with go-to coordinators who screwed the pooch as hc's. you could argue we just fired one. I was listening to all short list of names a week or two ago, and invariably, they come from teams with above average qb play. I think you can argue that A. Lynn's performance, in the context of how his year played out, showed the type of leadership qualities you would want in a head coach. Obviously, you can go the other way and point to his lack of experience over the long haul.

I don't see a lot of sense in handwringing once the decision is made. Whomever it is, nothing else matters until they get back in the playoffs.

That is why you are best off with a guy who certainly understands the game and knows the ins and outs -- but is a leader of men, a strong delegator and detailed manager rather than simply an x's and o's guy. Rex was a defensive-minded coach, who delegated the offense but oversaw the defense himself. Which side of the ball was better? Before him, St. Doug ran the offense (with his boy Nate) but delegated the defense to Pettine and Schwartz. Which side of the ball was better?

Regardless of who the next coach is, I want him to bring in qualified coordinators on both sides of the ball -- and limit his own involvement in play selection, etc.

Edited by 2003Contenders

I'm not against Lynn as HC, and I did like his playcalling more than Roman's, but acting like Lynn "fixed" the running game is funny to me. The Bills lead the league in rushing the year before and started the season with a bad game.

If Roman was on such a short lead going into the season that he could be fired 5 days in the switch should have been made in the offseason.

I'm not against Lynn as HC, and I did like his playcalling more than Roman's, but acting like Lynn "fixed" the running game is funny to me. The Bills lead the league in rushing the year before and started the season with a bad game.

If Roman was on such a short lead going into the season that he could be fired 5 days in the switch should have been made in the offseason.

I think the offense was noticeably different after Roman left. Not nearly as much emphasis on TEs and multiple formations, and pre-snap changes, and motion, and trying to outsmart the defense rather than just outplay them. Shady ran different. Roman cut Felton before the season. Lynn gave him a prominent role and he was blowing defenders up. The problem all season was missing Sammy. This would have been a top five offense with Watkins healthy.

I think the offense was noticeably different after Roman left. Not nearly as much emphasis on TEs and multiple formations, and pre-snap changes, and motion, and trying to outsmart the defense rather than just outplay them. Shady ran different. Roman cut Felton before the season. Lynn gave him a prominent role and he was blowing defenders up. The problem all season was missing Sammy. This would have been a top five offense with Watkins healthy.

+1.

This isn't a crazy thing to say at all given that they were #7 in points and #10 in yards prior to the abomination that was the final game.

+1.

This isn't a crazy thing to say at all given that they were #7 in points and #10 in yards prior to the abomination that was the final game.

One need only look at the penultimate game of the season to realize this is not crazy at all.