A quick look at the cap for 2017

GunnerBill

I think ZBrown will be about $1M more than that, but I also think you went conservative on the draft pick allotment unless we trade back. I suspect the draft picks that effect the cap will total $4.75-5M (rounds 1-3).

I'm guessing Zach ends up between $7M and $8M AAV, but figuring it can be slightly backloaded to lower 2017 cap hit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid of Tyrod opens up more money to work with. Doesn't matter who is QB in 2017 we will not see the playoffs, get started on a new QB. Why overpay for not good enough and lose players to do it.

Edited by xRUSHx

Bumping this now that the cap and FA tenders have been released.

I went to the Spotrac roster management tool, and made the following moves:

Picked up Taylor's option (has no effect on cap)

Released Corey Graham and Marcus Easley

Tendered Groy at the original round level

Re-signed Justin Hunter and Brandon Tate to identical $1M deals for 2017

Re-signed Zach Brown and gave him a cap hit of $4M for 2017

Signed Alterraun Verner and gave him a cap hit of $5M for 2017

Signed Jairus Byrd and gave him a cap hit of $3M for 2017

Signed Dwight Freeney and gave him a cap hit of $1.5M for 2017

The above left me with $11.5M in cap space, $6M of which I assumed needed to go to draft picks.

I'm also left with obvious needs at:

QB (to be the next franchise hopeful and compete for backup spot)

WR (starting)

OT (to compete at RT)

LB (to compete with Preston Brown)

S (to compete for the 3rd safety spot)

K

P

My opinion is that a portion of the $5.5M in space that isn't allocated to draft picks needs to be used to fill two of the above needs outside of the draft. I would hope for a 3rd safety and a sub-package LB.

Thoughts?

If Groy re-ups, keep choppin' Wood.

There's the rest of the $ they need right-dare!

If Groy re-ups, keep choppin' Wood.

There's the rest of the $ they need right-dare!

I honestly hope that they sign Groy to an extension during the season; he's young and healthy.

I wouldn't chop Wood (hah!) for two reasons: I prefer to keep Groy as depth for another year, and I'll bet someone signs Wood for starting money next offseason (compensatory pick baby!).

Also, replace my Byrd maneuver with Bethea now that it's official.

I honestly hope that they sign Groy to an extension during the season; he's young and healthy.

I wouldn't chop Wood (hah!) for two reasons: I prefer to keep Groy as depth for another year, and I'll bet someone signs Wood for starting money next offseason (compensatory pick baby!).

Also, replace my Byrd maneuver with Bethea now that it's official.

I am not sold on Groy but he's a good fit in this new scheme and I don't think you need much at C when you have such a mobile QB......hence the reason Groy looked more than adequate......as I predicted.......despite Vic Carucci's hand-wringing when Wood went down. :flirt:

I'm not saying go the way of the Seahawks and line up nothing but college basketball players on your OL but having guys like Flutie, Wilson and Tyrod makes OL look A LOT better than they are and for a team that is trying to save money that is an area where trimming the fat makes sense.