Ranking Whaley's Worst Moves

BillsLux

Although not disturbed by Rex's firing (defense went south and poor game time decisions), I think the problem starts with Whaley.

For the year, we've been hit by the spin that were a quality team without discipline. Really, what's so talented about our defense.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this or remember all the moves, so please chime in with more.

1) Drafting EJ Manuel 1st and never realizing that he's not a player... (Continuing to fail to realize that EJ has neither escapability, pocket presence, or accuracy)

2) Spending a fortune on Dareus, who barely plays

3) Doubling down on EJ by giving up multiple first round picks for Watkins

4) Getting and then keeping Karlos WIlliams (lost Fred Jackson instead)

5) Drafting Shaq with a bum shoulder

6) Percy Harvin not just once, but twice

7) Not prioritizing quarterbacks in draft picks (besides EJ)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoving EJ down 2 HC's throats, a 3rd if you count today, and maybe a 4th next year. That's where he finally lost me. I'm OK with drafting EJ, but he's overstayed his welcome by 2 years now. A real GM would've cut his losses a long time ago and moved on.

Shoving EJ down 2 HC's throats, a 3rd if you count today, and maybe a 4th next year. That's where he finally lost me. I'm OK with drafting EJ, but he's overstayed his welcome by 2 years now. A real GM would've cut his losses a long time ago and moved on.

All EJ has to do is make a few minor corrections and the skys the limit.

Although not disturbed by Rex's firing (defense went south and poor game time decisions), I think the problem starts with Whaley.

For the year, we've been hit by the spin that were a quality team without discipline. Really, what's so talented about our defense.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this or remember all the moves, so please chime in with more.

1) Drafting EJ Manuel 1st and never realizing that he's not a player... (Continuing to fail to realize that EJ has neither escapability, pocket presence, or accuracy)

Agreed

2) Spending a fortune on Dareus, who barely plays Yes, some maturity issues had showed previously, but hard to give up a player this good.

3) Doubling down on EJ by giving up multiple first round picks for Watkins Ok, I'll give you this, though when healthy Sammy is pretty damn good.

4) Getting and then keeping Karlos WIlliams (lost Fred Jackson instead) Absolutely on sending Fred packing, he should have retired a Bill. But, Whaley has taken some chances on "risk" players. Some paid off, some didn't. Karlos looked like he would and then imploded, but I don't want to see the team never take chances (Jerry Hughes and Incognito for example).

5) Drafting Shaq with a bum shoulder Let's face it, this was a Rex pick. Rex told the kid he was going to pick him well before the draft. The Clemson connection. And yet, if he turns out to be a good player, who cares about the bum shoulder. Would he really have turned this season around for the team as a rookie?

6) Percy Harvin not just once, but twice Yes, agreed, but again, I think this was more Rex than Whaley.

7) Not prioritizing quarterbacks in draft picks (besides EJ) To hit on a QB in say the 2nd to 6th rounds is such a crap shoot. (We were never really in position to take a QB in the 1st,.) Maybe he should have taken one or two more shots, but there is no guarantee with QBs...and who is to say that the coaching staffs we have had would have been able to develop a Russell Wilson or Andy Dalton or whoever else you are thinking that we missed on.

By no means has Whaley made all the right moves or always done the right thing, but you cannot say that this team isn't more talented than when he arrived. The problem may be that he has been treated as a GM in training for too long with first Buddy and then Russ overseeing his moves. It seems obvious to me at least that Marrone was Brandon's pick for coach and Rex was the Pegula's (they liked him) and Brandon's choice (he saw what a marketing boon Rex would be---more national coverage, great press conferences, selling hope to the fanbase).

I think it is good that the Pegulas are ready to give Whaley the keys to the car and let him be a true GM. Let's see what he can do with a coach that he selects, who shares his same philosophy, and who will work with him. I think having Rex report to the Pegulas and not to Doug (against the standard procedures of most teams) may have engendered distrust. I think Terry and Kim have seen that mistake and are going to let Doug take full control. Let's see what he can do.

Edited by folz

When did he keep Karlos? And FJ was done the year before. He had a great run but he did nothing for Seattle after he left.

Dareus is a star player and worth the contract.

Harvin was a stop gap that already knew most of the plays.

Watkins is a superstar when healthy though I agree it was dumb to move up and get him.

Convenient to forget he got Hunter, Hughes, Loraz, Groy, and Z. Brown

Fair criticism would be constantly trading up in the draft and taking Cardale Jones three rounds before he should have.

This thread is great, hopefully we can start 5 more doug whaley sucks threads tomorow.

Yep...It's coming...

I forget who I heard say it last week...But they made the point that once Rex was gone the target would be squarely on Whaley...Worthy or not, I think that's pretty accurate... B-)

If that's all you have. I'm in good shape . I thought you were going to say draft Kelsay , schoebal ,maybin ,whitner or maybe pay oswilder 125 mil to sit the bench.... People are incredible too funny

NFL Football... "It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

2013, Colin Brown was an Andy Levitre replacement that lasted around 4 games before being benched and released because he was so bad. Sam Young was another wasted roster spot as he came in the game for Brown on a couple of series and allowed a sack and hits so he also was benched and released after 4 games.

That year Whaley signed Doug Legursky to be the backup center and because all the other OG backup players were so bad... Legursky became the starting LG for most of the season and needless to say this guy was the worst graded player on the Bills line and didn't return for another year. The Bills were exceedingly lucky that Legursky lasted an entire season because the rest of the backups that year were right off the street.

2014, Signing OG Chris Williams for 5 mill guaranteed to see him play only three games before being released by the team because of a back injury!

Kraig Urbik moved to LG and Erik Pears played RG in 2014. Glenn, Urbik, Wood, Pears, Henderson was ranked as the very worst offensive line in the NFL for most of that season! This with basically three rookie QB's on the roster!

2015, Rex Ryan vouches for OG Richie Incognito and the Bills sign him to see a talent that elevates the play of the two players on either side of him. So, after two years the Bills finally replace Levitre with a quality player at LG. It was also Rex Ryan that wanted Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo.

The bottom line was that Whaley allowed the team to go into the 2013 season with EJ, Lewis and Tuel and no veteran QB on the roster and no QB coach on the team. The only person these young QB's had to learn the NFL ropes from was Nathaniel Hackett who was an NFL rookie OC himself.

After drafting Sammy Watkins, Whaley decides to trade for WR Mike Williams ( for a 6th)and trade away WR Stevie Johnson (for a 4th) because while Johnson didn't always run precise routes he was usually always open. Kyle Orton could have really used a WR that was always open. Sammy in his first season battling injuries all year long was used a lot as a decoy.

WR Mike Williams contribution to the team, 8 rec for 142 yards, 1 TD.

In 2014 the Bills traded for RB Bryce Brown for a 4th round pick. Browns contribution to the team 2 game starts 36 rushes for 126 yards, 16 receptions for 116 yards.

The trade for Jerry Hughes was initiated by the Colts GM who wanted the last first round pick of Bill Polian off the team and Whaley was just incredibly lucky that the Colts called him.

Wanna talk incredibly lucky? How about that Whaley offered CJ Spiller a decent offer to stay in Buffalo and like the fool that he is Spiller instead went to New Orleans... thank the good lord!

Wanna talk more good luck? Eagles HC Chip Kelly offering to trade LeSean McCoy to Buffalo in the first place. This worked out great because the team has such difficulty in finding star RB talent in the draft.

Skipping a lot of other things.

The Watkins trade in dealing away three draft picks, two number ones for a WR when the team still didn't have it's franchise QB!

If Whaley or his scouts actually knew what they were looking at in regards to college talent the Bills could have stayed at the #9 pick in 2014 and drafted all-pro LBer Anthony Barr, all-pro OT Taylor Lewan, all-pro WR Odel Beckham Jr, all-pro DT Aaron Donald, all-pro OG Zack Martin, all-pro LBer CJ Mosley, all-pro S Haha Clinton-Dix, all-pro CB Jason Verrett and then traded up in the second round for all-pro QB Derek Carr.

After the last four seasons of such ineptitude, I have no idea how or why the guy still has a job as an NFL GM.

Although, EJ certainly has been happy that Doug Whaley has kept his job all this time.

Edited by Nihilarian