HC candidate Josh McDaniels

YoloinOhio

The thing about McDaniel. In St Louis, he took over a QB who can make all the throws, a #1 overall pick in his 2rd year. He had a great RB, 28 but still fast.

He had good WR, including Brandon Lloyd coming off a 1400 yd season in Denver, Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander who was a capable #2 or 3 for San Diego the next year. The Rams had invested 3 1st-3-round draft picks in the last 3 years, 5 draft picks 5th round or higher on OL in the last 4 years.

Bradford spoke admiringly and supportingly of McDaniel and expressed disappointment when Spagnulo was fired after 3 years and McDaniel left.

And yet, it was awful. A total wet mess. By far Bradford's worst year: 6 TD, 6 INT in 10 games, 216 ypg, completion percentage of 53.6%.

A huge disappointment after the Rams tied the Seahawks for the division lead and came within 1 game of playoffs Bradford's rookie season, and brought in McDaniel to bolster their previous-year's 26th rated offense. Instead it regressed to 30th.

OK, so McDaniel then went to the Pats and was once again, all that and a bag of chips. Top-5 and usually better offenses every year since.

It has me scratching my head - what was it with the Rams that he couldn't get anything to go? But it also has me worried that he's not exactly the "quarterback whisperer" who can take a guy who isn't a 1st ballot hall of famer and get a capable offense out of him.

Does it change your mind that the same people in LA now have him at (or near) the top of their list? In addition, the Pats look to him as Belicheck's successor. That is always encouraging to me. You don't see the Bills out trying to bring back Nate Hackett for example.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure McDaniels is crazy smart. I would be perfectly fine with him coming here but there are things to worry about. Obviously his time in Denver is something that has to be looked at and it's perfectly reasonable to think that in 7 years at his age he was still learning.

What troubles me the most is when he doesn't have Brady he's failed. In 2011 as the Rams OC they were the worst offense in the NFL with 12.1 ppg (2-8 record with Sam Bradford in his 2nd year) - coming off a 2010 7-9 record. To me these are the indicators and also the obvious situations he'll likely be in with a new team not winning. So the question remains, is he one of the games great offensive minds or is the work just so easy with Brady?

Does it change your mind that the same people in LA now have him at (or near) the top of their list? In addition, the Pats look to him as Belicheck's successor. That is always encouraging to me. You don't see the Bills out trying to bring back Nate Hackett for example.

Have you inside gouge on that list? Let's see who the Rams interview and who they hire; I don't put a lot of stock in media speculation on coach hires. The media is saying they want Sean Payton or Ron Rivera as well as mentioning Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, Vance Joseph, and Anthony Lynn.

It just seems like kind of a fan's list of "hey, I know who would be good!" except they haven't stuck Doug Marrone on there yet.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

The thing about McDaniel. In St Louis, he took over a QB who can make all the throws, a #1 overall pick in his 2rd year. He had a great RB, 28 but still fast.

He had good WR, including Brandon Lloyd coming off a 1400 yd season in Denver, Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander who was a capable #2 or 3 for San Diego the next year. The Rams had invested 3 1st-3-round draft picks in the last 3 years, 5 draft picks 5th round or higher on OL in the last 4 years.

Bradford spoke admiringly and supportingly of McDaniel and expressed disappointment when Spagnulo was fired after 3 years and McDaniel left.

And yet, it was awful. A total wet mess. By far Bradford's worst year: 6 TD, 6 INT in 10 games, 216 ypg, completion percentage of 53.6%.

A huge disappointment after the Rams tied the Seahawks for the division lead and came within 1 game of playoffs Bradford's rookie season, and brought in McDaniel to bolster their previous-year's 26th rated offense. Instead it regressed to 30th.

OK, so McDaniel then went to the Pats and was once again, all that and a bag of chips. Top-5 and usually better offenses every year since.

It has me scratching my head - what was it with the Rams that he couldn't get anything to go? But it also has me worried that he's not exactly the "quarterback whisperer" who can take a guy who isn't a 1st ballot hall of famer and get a capable offense out of him.

Great post! What I will say is MAYBE the style of O he tried to put in just didn't mesh with the talent there. I am sure it was similar to what the pats use. Which is heavy on the QB and WR being on the same page when reading a D. I know in NE the WR has 2-3 different routes he can run depending on the coverage he sees.

I've seen people say they want him as HC. I don't think he's a viable candidate for the Bills. Good article here on why he can will he will be very selective with where he goes (if he even leaves the evil empire). I don't think this is a team he will interview with. I've mentioned it before, but he was Greg Roman's college roommate and teammate at JCU. I just can't see it.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-mcdaniels-should-be-choosy-about-his-next-job

I've been saying this forever...He'd never come to Buffalo...I don't think he'll ever go to another team in the AFC East...I kinda doubt he would even stay in the AFC...

I honestly think he may just wait out Belichick and take over there when it's time... B-)

Every OC under Brady is going to look great. Judge him during Brady's injuries and during his time in Denver.

I'll pass.

3-1 when Brady was out, and the one loss was him playing an injured 3rd string rookie QB who was unable to throw the football.

Judging a coach based off of a failed HC stint 7 years ago is a mistake. BB "failed" in Cleveland and rejoined PArcells for 7 or so years before jumping to NE (after quiting the Jets HC job after one day.) ya that was a terrible hire by NE.. says no one who is a Patriots fan lol

3-1 when Brady was out, and the one loss was him playing an injured 3rd string rookie QB who was unable to throw the football.

Judging a coach based off of a failed HC stint 7 years ago is a mistake. BB "failed" in Cleveland and rejoined PArcells for 7 or so years before jumping to NE (after quiting the Jets HC job after one day.) ya that was a terrible hire by NE.. says no one who is a Patriots fan lol

Hahaha when pats fans make excuses for losses.

This is the only coach the Bills can grab TBH. We need a guy who will force this organization to change, and working under HC like Belichick he will force it on everyone. Who the !@#$ is going to second guess him? No one in this organization can hold a jock to him if he becomes HC.

He will know all accountability will come down to him for changing this region around. I would definitely if Whaley would be smart enough to do this... He might be scared he would lose his job b.c McDaniels might force the change.