Casserly on Lynn

TPS

Which was precisely Casserly's point -- fans need to get past the fact that just because you work for an ineffective manager doesn't mean you don't have superior ability.

of course, but it's our fans, not to mention he has worked for us for two years. If you're a negative fan, you hate the prospects of Lynn being HC for this team, because he would be Whaley's puppet, because we did not interview other people, because Lynn isn't high profile and so on.

I urge people to see his coaching credentials and what people say about him, besides, he took a system that wasn't his, adapted on the fly and made it work. Yes, there were some awful plays here and there, but the overall job he did was impressive. He had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod Taylor as his QB.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My position on Lynn has always been that working for Rex isn't an issue, his lack of OC experience isn't an issue - the ONLY issue is can he convince me he can put together a staff, especially on the defensive side?

If he can do that he is a lead candidate. He wouldn't be my personal #1 choice but I'd have no problem with him getting it.

My position on Lynn has always been that working for Rex isn't an issue, his lack of OC experience isn't an issue - the ONLY issue is can he convince me he can put together a staff, especially on the defensive side?

If he can do that he is a lead candidate. He wouldn't be my personal #1 choice but I'd have no problem with him getting it.

I really like Coughlin, but I also would like to have HC stability, I want a guy that can last at least 10 years at this job.

I have no doubt about his ability to put together a good staff given his many years in the NFL as a well respected assistant. I'm sure he has connections all over the league.

I'm ok with him as the next coach in the setting of an actual search. If they bring in a couple other qualified candidates and deem that he's their man, fine.

I'd also be okay with them letting him test the market to see how legitimate the interest in him as a head coach truly is, and if the hype is overblown, trying to hold on to him as a coordinator candidate for a defensive or ST minded head coach, as those areas clearly need some help.

I admit I know very little about Lynn. What is a concern about him is his career trajectory. From running backs coach, to OC, to HC in one season. That is not his fault, but it sure is an indictor of how poorly run the Bills staff is/was.

I DO like how I hear how he holds people accountable. This team needs a disciplinarian coach. I think most fans agree with that. Sammy indicated in his interview that that is what he wanted in a coach. Thats why Coughlin is appealing to so many. I think a Coughlin type is what we need.

Like all Bills fans, I want stability. So I need a younger guy that will be around for the next 10 years. Is Lynn that guy? I don't know. But Whaley REALLY needs to get this right. I don't want marketing victories, I need football victories.

I still think Casserly looks like a marionette, but I liked how he said Lynn is "his own man" and shouldn't be "aligned" with Rex.

The more I think about the situation the less I am concerned about the potential of Lynn getting the job full time, as long as he has a decent plan for the defense.

I'd love to see the Bills come out and put a blasting on the Jets this week, and then talk afterwards about how much simpler and straightforward the plan was.

There were two sides to the coin in this interview. Casserly thought highly of Lynn and seemed contemptuous of Rex. His primary point is that it wouldn't be fair to have Lynn tarnished because of his association with the blustery former coach.

I'm not against the hiring of Lynn. However, I think it would be a big mistake to quickly make a coaching decision without considering a wide array of candidates. On the flip side I can see Whaley making a relatively quick decision on Lynn for the sake of continuity because he believes that the roster he has assembled is better than the outcome that the former HC had.

I'd love to see the Bills come out and put a blasting on the Jets this week, and then talk afterwards about how much simpler and straightforward the plan was.

The only interesting aspect of this game is the possibility of catching of glimpse of Cardale Jones on the field. Meaningless games where one team doesn't care offers little insight about your team for next year.

Edited by JohnC

of course, but it's our fans, not to mention he has worked for us for two years. If you're a negative fan, you hate the prospects of Lynn being HC for this team, because he would be Whaley's puppet, because we did not interview other people, because Lynn isn't high profile and so on.

I urge people to see his coaching credentials and what people say about him, besides, he took a system that wasn't his, adapted on the fly and made it work. Yes, there were some awful plays here and there, but the overall job he did was impressive. He had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod Taylor as his QB.

The fans who leave will come back when the team is winning and act like they were always on board.

You can't make organizational decisions based on what the majority of fans think. Especially not Bills fans.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

The fans who leave will come back when the team is winning and act like they were always on board.

You can't make organizational decisions based on what the majority of fans think. Especially not Bills fans.

no doubt about that, but we're the ones that will have to listen to the doom and gloom if Lynn is named HC after a thourough (key word here) interview process.

One of the first things Casserly brought up is Lynns plan on the opposite side of the ball. If the plan is to go back to what worked before and install a schwartz type defense he has the job. The offense consistently scored this year. I bring that back intact. Including Tyrod. And my goal on defense is top ten. That should get us to ten or eleven wins and hopefully a playoff spot.

Edited by TANK2

Don Capers is so mad right now.

And I'm not a fan of the white Grinch but I do like Lynn. I just don't know if that's a move the Bills need to make right now.

Nobody knows what the right move is. To me Lynn is the anti-rex. Hasnt failed previously and by all accounts is demanding and attentive to detail. Hes also guided this offense to the seventh best point total year to date without his best receiver for most of the year. If hes smart enough to bring in a d coordinator whose system fits these players whats not to like? He doesnt have experience sucking with the clock. His game day decision making isnt littered with a history of questionable calls. He hasnt made a bunch of promises he simply cant keep. Hell likely tweek our offensive strategy in the offseason and could quite possibly get even better results with that unit next year. I think the evidence is very positive on this guy as a candidate. Worked under Parcells also. One of the all time greatest coaches in the NFL. If hes smart enough to overhaul the defense and let them do what they do best hes my guy. Edited by TANK2

One of the first things Casserly brought up is Lynns plan on the opposite side of the ball. If the plan is to go back to what worked before and install a schwartz type defense he has the job. The offense consistently scored this year. I bring that back intact. Including Tyrod. And my goal on defense is top ten. That should get us to ten or eleven wins and hopefully a playoff spot.

The talent for a 4-3 is there. Lawson/Hughes at end, Dareus/KW at DT. Ragland can play MLB, Preston Brown at Sam. The question is if they can retain Zach Brown to play the Will/coverage role.

Oh, I think if the Bills get blown out and look sloppy in the process it will impact your opinion.

Many of the players on the Bills have an incentive to play well or at least hard because they are also under review. The Bills have a lot of free agents and they know that Whaley has to determine what their worth is from a contract standpoint Lackluster play is not going to enhance an individual players' contract prospects.

If Lynn is a serious coaching candidate (and that is what I believe) playing with disinterest is not going to put the particular player in a favorable light for next year.

It's tough to get an accurate read on your roster in this type of game. It's tough to get an accurate read on your HC in this type of meaningless game. I'm sure Whaley has a good "feel" about Lynn as a coach and person one way or the other by watching him conduct himself at the facility.

I think what is most important for Lynn is his ability in a post season report to the organization his opinions on what has happened this season, what needs to happen to put this team on the right course and what his thoughts are in assembling a staff.

If Whaley genuinely believes that his roster is a playoff roster and that it was Rex that mishandled his talent then it favors an approach that leans towards continuity instead of completely starting over with a new coaching staff. That would be a good situation for him and increase his chances to be elevated to the HCing position..

None of us know Lynn very well. He's spent his career executing other people's schemes so it's hard to judge his body of work. Yet people have strong opinions that he should - or shouldn't - be the next HC.

Knowing so little about the guy it was great to get Casserly's take since Casserly once evaluated him as a HC candidate. It's reassuring to discover Casserly has a positive view of the man.

I have no doubt about his ability to put together a good staff given his many years in the NFL as a well respected assistant. I'm sure he has connections all over the league.

I get what you're saying 26CB, but as a fan I do have doubts. Even veteran coaches sometimes fail to put together effective coaching staffs. Currently 47% of franchises are below .500.

Obviously, Lynn will find generally competent guys. But will he find coaches who will get us into the playoffs? We can make wild ass guesses but no one knows. He has no track record in assembling coaches.

None of us know Lynn very well. He's spent his career executing other people's schemes so it's hard to judge his body of work. Yet people have strong opinions that he should - or shouldn't - be the next HC.

Knowing so little about the guy it was great to get Casserly's take since Casserly once evaluated him as a HC candidate. It's reassuring to discover Casserly has a positive view of the man.

I get what you're saying 26CB, but as a fan I do have doubts. Even veteran coaches sometimes fail to put together effective coaching staffs. Currently 47% of franchises are below .500.

Obviously, Lynn will find generally competent guys. But will he find coaches who will get us into the playoffs? We can make wild ass guesses but no one knows. He has no track record in assembling coaches.

For me that would be of greater concern with a CFB coaching hire.