One More Comeback - Frank Reich

flopagamo

Drafting Tebow is a dis-qualifier in and of itself. With our drafting history---Chan wants a waterbug!!!-----I dont want any coach that was involved in drafting Tebow is the first. Just as I would discount anyone's football IQ that thought Johnny sandlot football's game was going to translate to the NFL.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the hype surrounding Reich as HC. Not even a little bit. Can someone inform me as to why he'd be a good HC?

He was always known a student of the game, of watching film. A lot of Bills when he played said he would make a great coach. Often the guys who may not be as talented and have to work harder / use proper technique are the best coaches. Compared to the rest of the group the Bills have chosen to interview ( and exclude) I'd give him a shot

That is certainly true. I just see the offense that he is responsible for and it flourishes. The route concepts are fantastic, they are disciplined and he develops QBs. The Patriots want him to take over when Belicheck retires (at least most people believe that). Those are all positives for me. I don't think that he'd go to the AFC East but who knows.

Remember Cromwell, think that was his name, that didn't go well. McDaniel hasn't developed anyone, Brady was established already, Cassell ended up nobody, Garapolo, no thanks. Don't want to knock him but he has a easy job with Brady there. Funny Bills haven't ask to interview him, they can next week cause they are on a bye.

They were 3-1 without him this year. Brady is obviously great but so is the design of the offense.

They were shut out by the Bills and that OC was fired a week or two later

There is no quote for "he's dumb"...you just said he's not a good coach. I guess we should promote David Lee because he's a brilliant coach.

Cant argue with this logic. How the hell did David Lee get dragged into this?

Edited by TANK2

Remember Cromwell, think that was his name, that didn't go well. McDaniel hasn't developed anyone, Brady was established already, Cassell ended up nobody, Garapolo, no thanks. Don't want to knock him but he has a easy job with Brady there. Funny Bills haven't ask to interview him, they can next week cause they are on a bye.

They were shut out by the Bills and that OC was fired a week or two later

They haven't asked because they'd be embarrassed by him turning it down. As for the Bills game he was starting a 3rd string QB with a bad hand. About the only way I could imagine the Bills winning that game.

He was as a 33 year-old HC after less than 2 years. They were playing for a playoff spot in week 17 of his 1st year. He wasn't ready 7 years ago, just like Belicheck wasn't ready in Cleveland. McDaniels went back to the Pats and grew. There was a tweet yesterday from one of the insiders talking about how much different he is now. There is no guarantee with any of these guys but I'd take my chances with his scheme, pedigree and the winning culture that he comes from. I don't see him coming here though.

I also forgot Mallett and Hoyer, not many good QB's coming out of NE that also were under Brady. I think Cassell was the best, he had two good wins seasons, 1 with NE and other with KC.

He was always known a student of the game, of watching film. A lot of Bills when he played said he would make a great coach. Often the guys who may not be as talented and have to work harder / use proper technique are the best coaches. Compared to the rest of the group the Bills have chosen to interview ( and exclude) I'd give him a shot

So his appeal is based on when he was a player? From what I've read, Chargers fans hated him and his conservative play calling. I don't see much success from his a coach that tells me hiring him would be a good idea. Not trying to be difficult but based on what I've read I'm not a fan at all.

So his appeal is based on when he was a player? From what I've read, Chargers fans hated him and his conservative play calling. I don't see much success from his a coach that tells me hiring him would be a good idea. Not trying to be difficult but based on what I've read I'm not a fan at all.

Fans always love to blame play calling , and most NFL coaches have a conservative bent. Poor execution is usually more at fault than play calling . Anyway, I'd only choose him as the list the Bills compiled is uninspiring to this point.

I also forgot Mallett and Hoyer, not many good QB's coming out of NE that also were under Brady. I think Cassell was the best, he had two good wins seasons, 1 with NE and other with KC.

Again, Cassel, Mallett, and Hoyer were mid round picks to undrafted guys that became NFL starters. How many OCs have taken a 7th round pick, a 3rd round pick and an undrafted FA and turned them into starters? Add in Jimmy G who was a 2 and will be starting next year and that's pretty impressive. That doesn't even account for his impact on Brady. I don't think that referencing undrafted FA QBs that became starters after him is a knock against McDaniels.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He is not trying to be your Coordinator. Marv was a Special Teams Coach. What you have to look at is, does he understand what a good team looks like, Yes, he played on one. Is he a motivator, Yes, he led the largest comeback in his day at college and the NFL, NFL still sticks. Has he been a leader, yes as OC and QB. The biggest thing for Frank will be getting top DC and OC to come with him. I think he could be the perfect candidate. Sometimes we look at things the wrong way!

HC Reich

DC Philips/Assist HC

OC Lynn, if Reich approves

ST Tasker

Or Mark Pike for ST

I look at it this way. Right know when you mention Frank Reich to me I immediately think comeback game. The td to reed sliding across the endzone. Im sure most of you do too. Frank is a super hero. Please Buffalo, dont change that memory. I dont need the first thing I think of when you mention frank reich to be some stupid decision to punt in a game that costs the playoffs. Cause you know thats what will happen

I hadn't thought of this...

I'm fine with Reich assuming:

- He is not going to be the next Ted Nolan, i.e. a throwback pick intended to initiate a tank for a #1 draft pick. That will ruin the memory of Reich for fans, and there are other head coaches they could select if that is Terry's intent.

- He has a seasoned, proven DC in mind to lead the defense. I don't want a first-time DC in here if it's an offensive minded coach at the helm. As a new HC whose specialty is the offensive side of the ball, he isn't going to have time to babysit the defense.

- He knows what he wants to do with the QB position. None of this "I need time to evaluate" Taylor/Jones/etc. He will either need to develop Taylor or have a specific FA quarterback in mind to bring in. He has experience being a QB coach for Rivers and Manning... that can either be a good or a bad thing.