Doug Martin stepping away from team. (Suspended 4 games)

What a Tuel

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765376/article/doug-martin-stepping-away-from-team-for-personal-reasons

Doug Martin is stepping away from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to take care of personal issues, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, per a source informed of the situation.

The starting running back was a healthy scratch in last week's loss to the Saints that all but dashed the Bucs' playoff hopes. Koetter told reporters Monday that the decision to bench Martin was tied to "trying to put the Bucs in the best position to win games."

Update: Suspended 4 games:

I was notified last week of a four-game suspension for violating the league's drug policy. My initial instinct was to appeal the suspension and finish the season with my teammates. However, after numerous discussions with people close to me -- including Coach (Dirk) Koetter -- I am starting the suspension immediately so I can enter a treatment facility and receive the help I truly need.

On the field, I must be strong and determined to push through both pain and injuries to become an elite NFL running back. Off the field, I have tried that same approach in my personal life. My shortcomings in this area have taught me both that I cannot win these personal battles alone and that there is no shame in asking for help.

I sincerely apologize to the Glazer family, General Manager Jason Licht and the entire Tampa Bay organization, my teammates and our tremendous fans. This was not the season I envisioned and I have let everyone down, including myself. However, adversity yields opportunity and I ask for your support in my battle to overcome these personal issues.

Edited by What a Tuel

I don't understand the PED issue and the complete lack of policing with wide receiver gloves, a clear performance enhancer, both artificially increase a players "ability." These WR today make some of the most ridiculous catches and get tons of pub for it yet little is said about the flypaper they wear on their hands.

About Beckham's wildy over-hyped, sticky glove enhanced, three finger (physics defying) catch, Tim Brown said this.

"You have to be careful about the way you analyze that play because you don't want people calling you a hater or whatever," said Tim Brown, a Hall of Fame receiver. "But you can't make that play without those kind of gloves. It's just impossible."

Quote was from this great article: http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-receiver-gloves-20150830-column.html

The hypocrisy of the league is amazing. The gloves probably have NFL logos, made by NFL sponsors, and result in NFL revenue. The NFL probably sees "marketing" value in fantastic catches. If so, let all these guys juice up, focus, and have at it. Why pick what is an acceptable performance enhancer and what isn't? Come on, let's put some NFL logos on Adderal and get on with it.

Shefter reported that Martin has $7M base salary in 2017 of which the guaranteed portion will be voided. I wish the Bills did that in Dareus' contract.

i saw that and thought the same thing. Only thing is that Dareus was a tougher player to sign than Martin due to position, etc. so that may have been a factor. But I still wish it could have been done.

Shefter reported that Martin has $7M base salary in 2017 of which the guaranteed portion will be voided. I wish the Bills did that in Dareus' contract.

I doubt they cut him, if they do God does he have a BB FA sighning written all over him. (Sighs low to a 1 year prove it deal and BAM lol)

No they still have to pay him the 7 mill (minus however many games he misses for suspension) unless they cut him. Then he gets nothing.

the 7 mill is no longer guaranteed for 2017. They can cut him with zero dead cap, or give him a second chance and simply renegotiate his deal once he gets himself right. Edited by YoloinOhio