Roth: By firing Ryan, Pegulas got it half right and wrong

Rico

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda agree with Roth....Whaley's been with the team over six years as Director of Pro Player Personnel or GM and the team ain't got much to show for it.....as long as Pegula is starting over start with a clean canvas.

In those 6 years this GM has watched over a #4 ranked defense and now a top 10 offense with the best rushing attack 2 years running. Imagine if he was able to choose a coach that fit in with the type of players he acquired.

I love it when no one can just be happy Rex and his brother are gone.

I am!!

People were talking to me today and asking opinions about how to fix the team.

My response was just that of above...I am just enjoying Rex and his brother being gone. It's just real nice.

Will he execute a similar mortgage as the one he did when he drafted Sammy for EJ?

By Mortgage you mean aquire more picks because thats what he did with EJ Bills troll

How can you still believe this?

Because it is well documented and Rex was just fired and Whaley stayed.

Shady

Incognito

Hughes

Taylor

Watkins

Clay

Darby

Miller

CK

Glenn

Aaron

Lorax

Brown

Brown

So a gm hits about 50%. Yep just like others

And to date hasnt had a pick of a coach

I would love to see the stats on how many draft picks are still on the roster and starting compared to other GM's. That might be the better metric to measure a GM's success.

I would love to see the stats on how many draft picks are still on the roster and starting compared to other GM's. That might be the better metric to measure a GM's success.

Yeah cause GM doesnt do Free Agents and Trades. But here

EJ

Woods - S

Kiko - Shady

Goodwin - Slot

Gragg - IR

Meeks - S

Dustin Hopkins - Cut Kicker in Washington

Duke Williams - Cut

Watkins - S

CK - BU LT

Brown - S

Cokrell - Cut Starts on Steelers

Richardson - Cut

Johnson - Cut

Henderson - suspended

Darby - S

Miller - S

K Williams - got fat

Stewart - Cut

O'Leary - S

Dez Lewis

Shaq - Heavy playing time

Ragland - IR

Washington - S

Jones

WIlliams

Listenbee - NFi

Seymour- heavy playing time

So thats 9 starters, 1 starter flipped for Shady, 2 play in rotation, 5 BU, 3 hurt or suspended, 1 Got Fat, 6 cuts (2 start for other teams)

So 28 picks and 17 that contributed this year with 3 hurt or susoended

Bet that is prettt close to most GMs

Edited by MAJBobby

Leo Roth chimes in with another solid take:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2016/12/27/roth-firing-ryan-pegulas-got-half-right---and-wrong/95884640/

Thanks Leo!

"instead of a truly clean start, they left the stale front office intact. The Bills needed a fumigation and instead got out a bottle of Febreze.

Maybe they realized the GM actually has brought in a lot of good players during his time here and would rather not take a chance on a guy that might be far worse than him like many of the other GMs are? I don't get where all this rhetoric on Whaley comes in...the dude has brought in multiple pro bowl players and done a great job with his waiver wire/practice squad grabs and trades, yet we want to run him out of town. For who? Another Tom Donahoe?

When Eric Wood went down how many people on this board said "No worries, we'll just plug in Ryan Groy at C and not miss a beat". Nobody! But that is exactly what happened...he has been playing really well most games, because I haven't even noticed him. Ever see what happens on some of these teams when one of their OL goes down? Disaster...

I have no idea what people are looking at but we must be looking at different people.

Edited by matter2003

Yeah cause GM doesnt do Free Agents and Trades. But here

EJ

Woods - S

Kiko - Shady

Goodwin - Slot

Gragg - IR

Meeks - S

Dustin Hopkins - Cut Kicker in Washington

Duke Williams - Cut

Watkins - S

CK - BU LT

Brown - S

Cokrell - Cut Starts on Steelers

Richardson - Cut

Johnson - Cut

Henderson - suspended

Darby - S

Miller - S

K Williams - got fat

Stewart - Cut

O'Leary - S

Dez Lewis

Shaq - Heavy playing time

Ragland - IR

Washington - S

Jones

WIlliams

Listenbee - NFi

Seymour- heavy playing time

So thats 9 starters, 1 starter flipped for Shady, 2 play in rotation, 5 BU, 3 hurt or suspended, 1 Got Fat, 6 cuts (2 start for other teams)

So 28 picks and 17 that contributed this year with 3 hurt or susoended

Bet that is prettt close to most GMs

Yes I agree that is probably close to or above most other GM's. You misunderstood my statement, I know the GM is heavily involved with FA's, IMHO it's much easier to identify a talented FA, it's much harder to draft starting NFL talent, hence the comment to use the drafts as the yard stick to measure a GM's skill.

Yes I agree that is probably close to or above most other GM's. You misunderstood my statement, I know the GM is heavily involved with FA's, IMHO it's much easier to identify a talented FA, it's much harder to draft starting NFL talent, hence the comment to use the drafts as the yard stick to measure a GM's skill.

Its also extremely easy to overpay for a player who never pans out...teams do it all the time...we seem to get great value FA's that come in and perform extremely well

Tracking hoped that helped then. I wont do it for every GM for you though guys like Newson would take forever seeing they have had a ton of drafts.

Its also extremely easy to overpay for a player who never pans out...teams do it all the time...we seem to get great value FA's that come in and perform extremely well

I have to think thats because thats what Whaley did for the steelers for years he was their Pro Scout

Yes DW has hit some home runs with FA's, he also has whiffed on a few like Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush, that might be par for the course though.

Maybe just maybe the understand they forced Rex on the GM and not let the GM pick his coach like happens all over the NFL

Nope, Whaley said it's like knowing who to marry, you just know, and WE know Rex is the one.

Full housecleaning (including Brandon) is the only answer.

agreed but looks like we have to wait one more time.

For context: Leo is about as much of a bumbling, out of touch bafoon as they come. He manages to make even his colleague Sal seem level headed, hardworking and engaged.

No one shoots the messenger quite like a Bills fan. Well done sir!

So the guy that's been there two years is more responsible for failure then a guy that's been there now seven seasons?

Whaley will eventually learn that those who live by the sword die by it as well. And Brandon will bring it down on him if ownership wakes up.

IMO, the Bills biggest problem, is its loosing culture itself. The Players get accustom to loosing and are not willing to make the sacrifices needed to win. I witnessed that in Saturday’s game. Some players were unwilling to fight for every inch of the field, weather it be on defense or offence, especially when it was needed the most. Some players are more concerned about protecting themselves, then getting a win. That’s a failure on the coaches’ part by allowing this selfishness to go unchecked. Players should be benched this week for their lack of effort and unwillingness to sacrifice for the good of the team during last week’s game. Rex was too soft and had to go. Anytime you hear the term “ A players coach” it means they are soft and will not hold players accountable for lack of effort. I honestly believe he underachieved with this team. He is not their leader; he is their friend. A recipe for failure IMO. I believe Marrone achieved more with a much less talented roster.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

IMO, the Bills biggest problem, is its loosing culture itself. The Players get accustom to loosing and are not willing to make the sacrifices needed to win. I witnessed that in Saturday’s game. Some players were unwilling to fight for every inch of the field, weather it be on defense or offence, especially when it was needed the most. Some players are more concerned about protecting themselves, then getting a win. That’s a failure on the coaches’ part by allowing this selfishness to go unchecked. Players should be benched this week for their lack of effort and unwillingness to sacrifice for the good of the team during last week’s game. Rex was too soft and had to go. Anytime you hear the term “ A players coach” it means they are soft and will not hold players accountable for lack of effort. I honestly believe he underachieved with this team. He is not their leader; he is their friend. A recipe for failure IMO.[/size]

You think any of them will look at getting benched in this meaningless game as a punishment?

So basically people think that Whaley hasn't put together a talented enough roster?

Are we saying that another coach, a better one than Rex, couldn't get 10 or maybe 11 wins out of these players? Could Andy Reid or someone similar not get 10 wins out of this team?

Because to my eyes, I can look at the Miami(x2), and Seattle games and Rex's horrible coaching of the defense, would add 3 wins to the season.

Does Whaley need to still figure out the QB position? Of course, he's drafted 2 this far and signed many a FA. Needs to just keep plugging away.