Trump foreign policy

A SENSIBLE TAKE ON SYRIA

Liberals’ foreign policy views are inconsistent, but entirely predictable: whatever a Republican president does, they oppose. Thus, Democrats applauded when President Obama prematurely withdrew American troops from Iraq, enabling the rise of ISIS. But when President Trump pulled a few hundred out of Syria, it was: OMG! The Kurds!

James Carafano of the Heritage Foundation and the Institute of World Politics gave an interview to the Daily Signal that gives the best take I have seen on Trump’s recent Syria move. You really should read it all, but here are some highlights:

When President Trump came in office, he actually expanded the U.S. footprint in Syria, because military advisers made the argument that … you couldn’t take down the caliphate—in other words, destroy the physical state that the terrorist had—if we didn’t actually have forces in there working with indigenous groups that were fighting ISIS, chief among them, the YPG, which is an armed Kurdish group.

And so President Trump actually increased the U.S. footprint in Syria. Then subsequent to that, after the caliphate was destroyed, the president wanted to withdraw U.S. troops. The military advisers and several allies, including Israel, said, “Well, look, there’s still concerns that need to be addressed.” So we’ve maintained a small footprint in Syria for the last year or so.

[W]e estimate it’s a relatively small print of a few hundred Americans in uniform that are spread around the areas that are not controlled by the Syrian government.

Let’s start by what the Turks are doing. They’re not invading Syria. There is a portion of Syria which borders Turkey, which right now is kind of uncontrolled. Nobody really controls the port. The Syrian government doesn’t control the border. There are Kurdish groups in that area and the Turks wanted to control that area. It’s several kilometers wide, so it’s really a small chunk of Syria.

Why do they want to control it? Well, one, they don’t want it to be a platform for Kurdish terrorist groups, not the Kurdish people. There’s a difference, right? There are Kurds all over the region. There are Kurds in Iran. There are Kurds in Iraq. There are Kurds in Syria. There are Kurds in other places. So when you say the Kurds, that’s a lot of people spread all over the Middle East, but there are Kurdish groups which are affiliated with specific terrorist groups, like the PKK, which is a terrorist group [that] … focuses on attacking Turkey.

So they don’t want terrorist groups to use that area as a platform to attack Turkey. They want to control their border and they would like to create a space because they have probably a million refugees or more from Syria that are living in Turkey. The Turks would like to create a space so those people can move back into Syria. It’s a relatively limited objective that the Turks have outlined.

What did the U.S. do? Well, if you actually read the statement of the Department of Defense, which actually explains this, we didn’t give permission for the Turks to do this. They didn’t ask permission. And the reality is we can’t stop them from doing this. We have a couple of hundred soldiers in the entire country. We don’t have enough … to prevent the Turks from doing anything unless we’re going to start bombing the Turkish military, which I don’t think we’re going to do.

MORE AT THE LINK:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 10/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, DC Tom said:

Let's also not forget that there are three different Kurdish groups in Syria that are internationally designated terrorist organizations - the KPP, the YPG, and Ansar al-Islam.

Which, not coincidentally, are who the Turkish are fighting.  Primarily the KPP, which has been recognized as a terrorist organization by all of NATO since the 80s.

I think you mean the PKK.   Our Syria policy has been so incoherent from the beginning. 

About 950 ISIS-connected foreigners (relatives) managed to leave the camp, located in Ain Eissa, roughly 20 miles south of the border, after detainees apparently attacked the camp's guards and gates and fled, the Kurdish-led administration said in a statement.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, based in Britain, said Turkish warplanes struck villages near the camp on Sunday.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/syria-isis-supporters-escape-camp-kurds

Edited by ALF

U.S. troops evacuate Syrian town as Turkish-led forces advance, potentially marooning U.S. soldiers

LEVYCEXNV4I6TCPL5RLM2QKHGI.jpg

Hundreds of Islamic State supporters may have escaped from a camp housing displaced people in the town of Ain Issa, taking advantage of the mayhem.

1 hour ago, Gary Busey said:

5c1d63798ff3e.image.jpg

On 10/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, Koko78 said:

Yes. You are further expected to be appropriately outraged by this new development, while not forgetting to remain sufficiently outraged by the previous talking point.

Okay, fine.

Just explain to me how Turkey's bombing US troops that were removed from Syria, and I'll be outraged.

And don't bother with your weakass "whataboutism" reply

Try and explain your hypocrisy 

But there were important reasons for that. According to the very same people who now scream bloody murder

EGxPBKCW4AEKM4x.jpgEGxPBKMX4AALRKk.jpg

8:42 AM - 13 Oct 2019

I have sympathy for the Kurds. But since it’s the foreign policy of the most powerful nation on earth and not kindergarten class,

I don’t make decisions based on sympathy.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

...pathetically farcical how "limps on BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE" talked the tough talk about the China trade imbalance and did SQUAT......so now we FINALLY  get the "REAL Washington Outsider" begged for who goes after them like all previous cowards had no bawls to do so.....and MAGA is a ruse, farce, a clown wanting his own library, book deal(s), wealth and power, free room and board at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave AND the 400 grand a year that the position pays.... in my 66 years, I have NEVER seen this great country as effed up as it is today.....here we are peddling the alleged "world's greatest democracy" to other nations rife with corruption when the depth and extent of graft, partisan political, and downright corruption has been woefully exposed by the dreaded "outsider".....we're stinking and sinking........

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Gee, it's almost like there's no monolithic group of "Kurds," but various factions that fight and ally with each other as convenient.  

Wasn't somebody asking "Who are the Kurds?" on this board a few days ago?  I can't recall...  

• Like (+1) 1