Trump foreign policy

Trump, national security team head for Camp David

(CNN)President Donald Trump decamps to the Maryland woods Friday to discuss US strategy in Afghanistan as his aides seek to mitigate the self-made crisis over race that's left the President isolated but defiant.

It's the first time top members of Trump's national security team will convene together with the President since he strode into the Trump Tower lobby on Tuesday to defend protesters who marched alongside neo-Nazis and white supremacists in Virginia last weekend.

(CNN)President Donald Trump decamps to the Maryland woods Friday to discuss US strategy in Afghanistan as his aides seek to mitigate the self-made crisis over race that's left the President isolated but defiant.
It's the first time top members of Trump's national security team will convene together with the President since he strode into the Trump Tower lobby on Tuesday to defend protesters who marched alongside neo-Nazis and white supremacists in Virginia last weekend.

!@#$ CNN, no seriously. !@#$ them.

Sorry about that . I just hope he doesn't do something stupid in that already too expensive quagmire Afghanistan.

If I had my druthers, we'd leave that place, leave Iraq/Syria, leave that whole barbaric part of the world and let them murder each other. Preferably by the hundreds of thousands. Once a survivor emerges, we deal with that group.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/politics/camp-david-meeting-donald-trump/index.html

Self made crisis?? That's a crisis? The hysteria has officially gone to 11.

“We must stop the resurgence of safe havens that allow terrorists to threaten America,” Trump said. “We are not nation-building again. We are killing terrorists.”

“Our troops will fight to win” the president said. “We will fight to win. From now on, victory will have a clear definition.”

Clear definition that he did give!

FULL TEXT OF TRUMP’S SPEECH.

TRUMP RESISTS TEMPTATION TO GIVE UP IN AFGHANISTAN

by Paul Mirengoff

In his speech tonight, President Trump announced that the U.S. will not pull out of Afghanistan, but instead will fight with less restraint and more military forces.

Trump needed to do two main things in his speech: (1) explain why he was breaking his campaign promise to abandon Afghanistan and (2) distinguish his approach to the fight from President Obama’s. Accomplishing the second objective would help make the breach of his campaign promise easier to swallow.

I believe Trump gave a sound and forceful explanation for why, now that he occupies the Oval Office and has heard from the generals, he sees the situation in Afghanistan differently than he did as a candidate. He pointed out the prevalence in the region of terrorist groups capable of one day organizing attacks against the U.S., as they did in 2001. He also noted the consequences of the U.S. pullout from Iraq under Obama.

I found Trump’s arguments persuasive. However, I already believed we should stay in Afghanistan. The real question is how Trump supporters who felt differently will react to the decision.

Trump was also able to distinguish the approach he announced tonight from Obama’s approach to Afghanistan. Most notably, as Trump pointed out, he did not announce a date for drawing down our forces and eventually exiting, as Obama stupidly did. Our force level and continued presence will depend on conditions on the ground, he emphasized.

Edited by B-Man

This new policy putting pressure on Pakistan is correct. I don't believe Bin Laden lived there without them knowing.

If the US pulled out completely the Taliban would take control of the country in no time. Not sure if they would welcome ISIS.

So a modest US and NATO presence to prevent it from getting out of control makes sense. The expense should be covered by the UN . This is a problem that will not end and we will not win.

This new policy putting pressure on Pakistan is correct. I don't believe Bin Laden lived there without them knowing.

If the US pulled out completely the Taliban would take control of the country in no time. Not sure if they would welcome ISIS.

So a modest US and NATO presence to prevent it from getting out of control makes sense. The expense should be covered by the UN . This is a problem that will not end and we will not win.

I was listen on the radio to one of the former us military Afghan officials and he said that Pakistan controlled a major access point to Afgahistan and cut it off when ever we put too much pressure on them or sided with India too much. This made it more difficult for us to supply our troops in Afganhistan