Jets want another qb. The hots for Trubisky

I think the word you are looking for is FIGURATIVELY. :doh:

Russell Wilson isn't in some obscure category by himself he's just undersized. Brees and Tarkenton are HOF'ers and that wasn't really One Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeliyun QB's ago.

I don't promote stacking middling prospects like the Jets have.......but as for drafting a QB every year.........drafting a QB each in the last 4 seasons isn't killing the Jets.....NOT HAVING ONE is what is killing them......and having a Bob Woods or Cyrus Kouandjio type second round talent instead wouldn't have made any difference in their W-L record.

Both Brees and Tarkenton are/were 6' tall (and Tark played in an era when being 6' was good size for a QB). Wilson is a shade over 5'10-1/2" I stand by what I said.

And as for what's killing the Jets, they have bigger problems than just on offense. Suffice it to say that those picks could have helped them on defense.

Edited by Doc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guys laughed at Jets drafting QB every year trying to find one. They just happened to draft the wrong one. But look at the Bills. We are not much better than the Jets and our GM is not even trying to find one in the draft. I rather swing and miss than to never try. Stupid Whaley!

Petty was solid but hose ints were killer. He has improved over last week, they need to stick with him, 4 games is not enough to write a guy off.

Some guys laughed at Jets drafting QB every year trying to find one. They just happened to draft the wrong one. But look at the Bills. We are not much better than the Jets and our GM is not even trying to find one in the draft. I rather swing and miss than to never try. Stupid Whaley!

yep.

I think Petty and Hack have potential are untested at this point so it is really hard to say if they don't already have their QB of the future.

All we have is Jones and it's anybody's guess if he is the answer or not.

Petty was solid but hose ints were killer. He has improved over last week, they need to stick with him, 4 games is not enough to write a guy off.

yep.

I think Petty and Hack have potential are untested at this point so it is really hard to say if they don't already have their QB of the future.

All we have is Jones and it's anybody's guess if he is the answer or not.

Haha. The double standards you have for your crappy qbs you like is hilarious. If EJ or Tyrod had that poopfest of game Petty had last night, you'd be killing them and saying how they are bums. Hypocrite.

How did a 2nd on Kujo or Ragland set the Bills back more than a second on Hackenburg would have?

It didn't either.

Yep. Especially considering Kujo will be starting today.

Cardale Jones.

Haha. The double standards you have for your crappy qbs you like is hilarious. If EJ or Tyrod had that poopfest of game Petty had last night, you'd be killing them and saying how they are bums. Hypocrite.

This. Petty is little different from Geno Smith. A couple nice plays but then game-killing turnovers. The problem for him is there they don't have time to wait and see if he improves and they'll be drafting yet another QB next year.

Yep. Especially considering Kujo will be starting today.

Cardale Jones.

This. Petty is little different from Geno Smith. A couple nice plays but then game-killing turnovers. The problem for him is there they don't have time to wait and see if he improves and they'll be drafting yet another QB next year.

Why not? Geno and Fitzy are gone. They'll have a rookie, Petty and Hack.

How did a 2nd on Kujo or Ragland set the Bills back more than a second on Hackenburg would have?

It didn't either.

Only 1 of those teams had a chance to find a franchise QB with their pick. That's the point.

Why not? Geno and Fitzy are gone. They'll have a rookie, Petty and Hack.

Considering they're high on Trubisky, it doesn't sound like they're enamored with either of those two remaining QB's.

Only 1 of those teams had a chance to find a franchise QB with their pick. That's the point.

Did they?

How is not being enamored mean "they don't have time," Doc?

Yes.

If they're not enamored with Petty or Hack, they'll draft a QB in the 1st next year. And that guy will get the majority of playing time.

Yes...the Jets found a franchise QB? Really?

If they're not enamored with Petty or Hack, they'll draft a QB in the 1st next year. And that guy will get the majority of playing time.

Yes...the Jets found a franchise QB? Really?

Not if he can't beat out Petty in camp, Doc. They still have "time" to evaluate him all next season even as a backup.

They had a chance. Who knows?

Wilson is literally a one-in-a-million QB. You can count on one finger how many sub-6' QB's have succeeded in the NFL in the past 30 years. The Seahawks took a shot at him a round earlier than other teams would have and it paid off handsomely.

As for "crushing it" with their 1st round pick of Bruce Irving, yeah, not so much. Again if they truly knew how good Wilson would be, they'd have taken him then.

Picking a successful QB like Wilson out of a draft and holding him up is great and all, but I could pick 10 times as many QB's that we didn't pick that still flopped. The argument is that not picking those QB's that flopped is a bad thing because by not doing so we missed out on picking the one that didn't (Wilson). However the odds of picking Wilson from the ones that flopped are ridiculous without hindsight. Scouts didn't give Wilson a chance, the scouts were wrong. The scouts didn't give Hackenberg a good grade, they were likely right.

I don't like the argument that we should ignore scouting and draft the duds because one could be a gem. That just sounds awful.

The point you both are missing is that Wilson's game was very well known (he wasn't some one or 2 year starter or from an obscure conference) and we needed a QB---and it would only have cost us a third round pick!--which they pissed away anyway.

I'm pretty sure Wilson played many of his college games against full sized adults and he was very good. In fact, he's doing now exactly what he showed everyone in college. Saying his height would (should!) automatically disqualify him from being drafted in the 3rd round by a team in desperate need of a QB equates to the mismanagement of the position by Whaley and the Bills for decades since Kelly retired.

And doc, I know it's probably not "a million", but can you tell us the denominator of 6 foot or less QBs drafted in the NFL the past 20 years?

The point you both are missing is that Wilson's game was very well known (he wasn't some one or 2 year starter or from an obscure conference) and we needed a QB---and it would only have cost us a third round pick!--which they pissed away anyway.

I'm pretty sure Wilson played many of his college games against full sized adults and he was very good. In fact, he's doing now exactly what he showed everyone in college. Saying his height would (should!) automatically disqualify him from being drafted in the 3rd round by a team in desperate need of a QB equates to the mismanagement of the position by Whaley and the Bills for decades since Kelly retired.

And doc, I know it's probably not "a million", but can you tell us the denominator of 6 foot or less QBs drafted in the NFL the past 20 years?

There have been a lot of QB's who did well in college and who were over 6' and still flamed out in the pros. And while there haven't been a lot of QB's who were under 6' tall who were drafted, there have been some and they didn't succeed. It's not like the Bills wouldn't have taken Wilson at all, they were waiting until the 4th round. The Seahawks took him earlier than everyone else and it paid off. Obviously it was a mistake.

Trubiskys a hell of a talent. He's from the city I work in. I followed his HS career closely. It's the largest public school in the state. Graduates over a 1000 kids/yr. I think it's his destiny to rescue the Browns though.

i thought it was going to be Connor Cook. But he didn't want to play for the Browns. Mitch it is!